PDA

View Full Version : Is there long-term damage in using full poly?

ogruskie
01-10-2009, 10:49 PM
For example, I felt almost no difference between a full set of Big Ace and a hybrid of Big Ace/X-One Biphase. I mean, it felt a lot softer. But besides that, I felt almost difference in playability.

So I was thinking, why not just string with a full set of Big Ace? Its cheaper and less of a hassle than with hybrids.

But on the other hand, will I develop injuries later in life using poly?

Sentinel
01-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Please read the threads by Jolly (and many others on this).
I moved to full poly and i seem to have screwed up my shoulder real bad. There could be other reasons too, though.

DJG
01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Well, potentially there may be. Elbow issues and shoulder issues is the most promiment injuries - if you have one of these a full poly setup definitely aggravates things. For some players that were injury free, a full poly setup have been known to cause discomfort as well.

However, as with everything, there are a lot of variables. I don't think that anybody can say that there is a 100% chance of injury, your probability of discomfort is just higher.

Matty G
01-10-2009, 11:54 PM
If you have good form there shouldnt be! Big Ace is a really soft easy too use poly , there shouldnt be any problems with it. I do think poly camplement people with big games much better because there fast swing so if you have a big game i think go for it!

naylor
01-11-2009, 02:23 AM
It also depends on the racket and what you do with it!

I had a full poly (MSV Hex) set-up on my Redondo mid and it was fine. I had shoulder trouble in the past but it cleared off, so I decided to move from a gut-or-NXT/luxilon hybrid to poly/multi and lately to full poly.

I put the same set-up (MSV Hex) and tension on a new AG100 - exactly the same weight and balance as the Redondo, only slightly higher swingweight and stiffness. Unfortunately, first time around I hard a singles coaching/practice session when I did a lot of hard serving - after not playing during the holiday break my footwork was poor and my return games were a complete waste, so I had to serve well to keep in the game. Result - my shoulder hurts!

I suspect that it's the string tension that's caused most of the trouble. My Redondos felt nice after about 10 hrs.' play - mainly doubles, or singles practice but without much heavy serving - so the tension would have dropped by several lbs. from when it was originally strung. We'll see...

Valjean
01-11-2009, 04:53 AM
From TW's Learning Center, though:

"Polyester - a very durable string designed for string breakers-not much power or feel. Polyester strings became very popular with ATP players, because it provides added durability, doesn't move and 'deadens' the stringbed. While this isn't a desireable feature for most recreational players, it is for many of todays ATP and (some) WTA players. They're bigger, stronger, swing faster and use more powerful racquets than players from the past. Often used in hybrids, combining polyester mains with softer synthetic or natural gut mains. This offers the durability benefits of polyester, while reducing the stiff, dead feel. Also easier to string than 100% polyester. Not recommended for beginning players or players with arm injuries."

Bottle Rocket
01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
For example, I felt almost no difference between a full set of Big Ace and a hybrid of Big Ace/X-One Biphase. I mean, it felt a lot softer. But besides that, I felt almost difference in playability.

But on the other hand, will I develop injuries later in life using poly?

Umm... Why were you using a hybrid in the first place?

You may or may not develop injuries as the other posters have mentioned. You are more likely to harm your body using a stiffer string, there is nothing to debate here. You can put yourself at as much or as little risk as you wish.

You're more likely to get injured with a light and stiff frame and bad technique, but that isn't to say someone with perfect technique is incapable of injury.

I also want to mention, as I have in another thread, that I think the softness of Big Ace is blown out of proportion. This is still a stiff and sometimes harsh string.

Anyway, my stance is that if you enjoy the game significantly more with a full polyester and are well aware of the risks, well, give it a go! Just be careful and if you get the slighest hint of wrist/arm/elbow pain, it is time to make a change.

DonBot
01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
If you are going to try a full bed of a poly, ba will make a great litmus test. You will find it less jarring than a full bed of nearly any lux product.

goldenyama
01-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Poly hurts...
Ooohooh Poly hurts...