PDA

View Full Version : Weiss CANNON SS/Multi Hybrid

scyzer
01-10-2009, 10:38 PM
I tried my friends K90 for about a week and absolutely loved it. As such, I decided to buy one for myself. However, being in Australia, the string variety I had to choose from was very average.

I ended up going with PSGD 17G @ 58lbs - a setup I was familiar with on my K-Blade 98. Apparently, that was a bad decision... I'm lacking power. I'm not saying that I'm hitting floaters, but the ball just doesn't fly as fast as I'm used to.

So... time for a restring. My friend and I are both avid fans of Weiss CANNON's Silverstring. That's what he had on his K90 @ 52 lbs.

However, I thought I might as well try a poly/multi hybrid. I've decided on SS for the mains, probably at 52 lbs (I string this @ 56 lbs on my K-Blade 98). However, I needed a bit of help deciding which multi to use, as my only experience with multi's was limited to a badly strung flexpoint racquet with NXT.

The problem is that strings cost significantly more in Australia (my local pro-shop sells X-One Biphase for $80AUD, that's the string standalone), so I would need to buy a big batch from TW (to cut down the shipping overhead per string). This means that I won't be able to demo the strings myself.

I'm considering the following multi's for the crosses:
- X-One Biphase 17G
- X-One Biphase 18G
- Weiss CANNON Explosiv
- Babolat XCel Power 17
- ISOSPEED Pro Classic 17

Basically if you could provide details regarding a suggested multi, a recommended tension, degrees of power/control I should expect as well as tension maintenance, I would be very grateful.

Dags
01-11-2009, 03:51 AM
Klip Excellerator is often mentioned in the same breath as the multis you list, and as it's an Australian string I would hope you can find a set or two to buy locally at a decent price. If you can, I would start with that to at least give you an idea of whether you like a multi hybrid.

To get a general comparison of the strings you listed, the following link is often referred to on this board and is a good starting point:

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

000KFACTOR90000
01-11-2009, 04:18 AM
The crazy thing is that klip is really expensive in Australia, thats why no one uses it here, and the ones that do get it from overseas!

000KFACTOR90000
01-11-2009, 04:34 AM
How about natural gut on the crosses - at low tensions one of the cheaper guts may outperform all the multis.

scyzer
01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
How about natural gut on the crosses - at low tensions one of the cheaper guts may outperform all the multis.

How cheap is cheap? And I've never tried natural gut. I've always had this crazy idea that it might deteriorate because of the extreme conditions when being shipped :shock:.

scyzer
01-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Thread Bump.