PDA

View Full Version : breaks between odd games and sets

bob
04-01-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm playing on a USTA team league and would like to know:

What is the rule for the amount of time you can take between "odd games" (1-2, 2-3, etc.)

How much time can you take between sets if the set ends on an even number of games (ex. 6-4).

How much time can you take between sets if the set ends on an odd number of games (ex. 6-3).

What I observed is that if the first set ends 6-4 the guys just start the second set without any breadk because it is an even number of games.

Thanks

kevhen
04-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Yeah it seems to vary depending on who you play. Older players tend to start the second set right away as is the old habit. Younger players having watched the pros on TV tend to break after each set before starting the next. I leave it up to my opponent but will tend to go by old rules of breaking only on odd games since I don't like not drinking water for 3 games in a row at the start of a set. Time might be 90 seconds before odd game and start of second set and like 5 minute break before start of 3rd set, but not positive without looking at the official rulebook. I think there is like a 10 minute break allowed before the third set in southern climates. Not sure why latitude matters, it should be based on heat and humidity conditions only, if they are going to make exceptions to the rules.

LittleMAC
04-02-2004, 08:13 AM
The official at our College match just discussed this yesterday. Regardless if it is an Even set score (6-4) you may take a 120 second break between sets.