PDA

View Full Version : replacing bumper guard: easy way/right way?

dlazenby
01-11-2009, 08:46 AM
I have several Fischer Magnetic Tour 100s that I am very happy with. The bumper guard is a stiff plastic that seems to break more easily than with any other racket that I have used.
I bought the appropriate guards from TW and am in the process of changing them. I am not a stringer and have never strung any rackets. I thought I would put the new racket guards on (2 separate rackets) so that it would be one less step for the stringer and because I had some fear that the stringer might damage the frame in replacing the guards if he say forcefully put it in with pliers.
I can get all the grommets to line up and go in the holes, but the grommet tips don't all go completely through. You can see the tips about a mm or so just inside the inner holes of the frame.
I don't know if when the strings are put in and tension is applied, if at that point it will be completely/correctly "seated".
In getting it to seat correctly I have started at one end of the guard and gone around the frame; I also tried by lining up the guard at the top and then worked left and right. Both ways did not give me the desired result.
Please advise.
Thanks

rich s
01-11-2009, 08:56 AM
When I change them I start in the middle and work evenly in opposite directions.

It helps to use an awl to get the grommets that are slightly misaligned thru their respective hole in the frame and heating the grommet with a hair dryer may help to make it softer and easier to work as you are installing the bumper/grommet.

The last grommet or two on each side are usually the toughest to get in. Do not use pliers or other tools that can damage the frame other than an awl to help align the grommet tube with the hole.

When you string the frame it will seat the grommets. Some argue to up your tension 2 lbs for the first stringing with new grommets others argue that you don't need to add 2 lbs. I add 2 lbs just because that's what I've always done and I try to stay consistant to minimize variables.

If your stringer is worth his salt he should be able to install the grommets for you a lot more easily than you can and for under $10.

I agree Fisher bumpers/grommets seem to crack more easily than others.

Hope this helps.....
rich

:)

dlazenby
01-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks Rich S.
I am in Griffin, GA. Are you in Atlanta, and do you string commercially? Right now, I take my rackets to Peachtree City which is 45 minutes away. I will say that I am happy with them (Good Sports).

tennisfreak15347
01-11-2009, 10:33 AM
to easily and properly install the bumper guard, you need an awl. your stringer should have one. if your stringer is nice, he/she should be able to do it for free.

RestockingTues
01-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't put it in the microwave and you'll be fine :?

rich s
01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Rich S.
I am in Griffin, GA. Are you in Atlanta, and do you string commercially? Right now, I take my rackets to Peachtree City which is 45 minutes away. I will say that I am happy with them (Good Sports).

I'm north of Marietta. I string for myself, friends and local referrals from friends.

rich s
01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Don't put it in the microwave and you'll be fine :?

First hand experience? :)

diredesire
01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
When I change them I start in the middle and work evenly in opposite directions.

It helps to use an awl to get the grommets that are slightly misaligned thru their respective hole in the frame and heating the grommet with a hair dryer may help to make it softer and easier to work as you are installing the bumper/grommet.

The last grommet or two on each side are usually the toughest to get in. Do not use pliers or other tools that can damage the frame other than an awl to help align the grommet tube with the hole.

When you string the frame it will seat the grommets. Some argue to up your tension 2 lbs for the first stringing with new grommets others argue that you don't need to add 2 lbs. I add 2 lbs just because that's what I've always done and I try to stay consistant to minimize variables.

If your stringer is worth his salt he should be able to install the grommets for you a lot more easily than you can and for under $10.

I agree Fisher bumpers/grommets seem to crack more easily than others.

Hope this helps.....
rich

:)

Rich S nailed it on the head.

As far as heating the grommets: some stringers like to do it, I personally never do. If you do want to, a heat gun/hair dryer works well, but I think warming them up in hot water works just as well, and heats more evenly.

Working from the center outwards has been the most successful for me. The grommets with large spacing give me the most trouble, but wiggling an awl around is really all that is necessary to install a pair of grommets, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes for the most difficult pair.

As far as seating: After tensioining and a bit of play, the grommets should be seated. I've heard from many stringers that they will tend to bump about 2 lbs up on new grommet sets to compensate for the grommets settling, but that is your own personal preference.

An added tip related to new grommets: Make sure your stringer holds the bottom edge grommets in when tensioning. On many racquets (the k/n 6.1 comes to mind) the grommets will often pull out when they are new. Make sure to hold them in so they develop "memory" (i.e. get bent). It will make life easier in the future, and protect your string and frame!

RestockingTues
01-11-2009, 10:29 PM
First hand experience? :)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=233883 :oops:

rich s
01-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Rich S nailed it on the head.

Thanks!!!!!

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=233883 :oops:

Ouch......kind of funny though.......what doesn't kill ya makes ya smarter....you know better for next time.... :)