PDA

View Full Version : The Tennis Channel

joeman957
02-21-2005, 05:34 PM
I enjoy watching tennis on TV, but it only comes onto ESPN whenever there is a Grand Slam. Who here has The Tennis Channel, and what do you think of it?

I'm also wondering what service providers are offering it and whether or not it is available in certain places..

goober
02-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm also wondering what service providers are offering it and whether or not it is available in certain places..

go to their website http://www.thetennischannel.com/

type in zip on the lower right hand corner and see who has it in your area.

gully
02-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Lots of threads on this board discuss the service, though none of them belong in "Pro Player Discussion": try "Odds and Ends" to start, anyway, and good luck!

Rabbit
02-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I think it's great. It's the same thing as the Golf Channel is to golfers. If you don't love tennis, you'll tire of it in about ten minutes. They show old matches, Davis Cup from around the world (ESPN has U.S. DC) and tournaments that no one else covers or ever covered including such tourneys as Dubai.

joeman957
02-21-2005, 08:14 PM
I think it's great. It's the same thing as the Golf Channel is to golfers. If you don't love tennis, you'll tire of it in about ten minutes. They show old matches, Davis Cup from around the world (ESPN has U.S. DC) and tournaments that no one else covers or ever covered including such tourneys as Dubai.

That sounds awesome, the Tennis Channel would definitely not bore me, so I hope I can get it.

goober, I checked my area and it seems to only have it on VOOM and 4DTV. What service providers do you have? I have DISH Network and hopefully they will be getting the channel in the future. I did stumble upon this article relating to the availability. http://www.midatlantic.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=35036&itype=1520

baseliner
02-22-2005, 05:03 AM
I get the tennis channel as well as the golf channel. Don't watch much regular TV. A word of advice. Don't rely too heavily on the schedule as posted on the web site. Changes quite often.

YEMntFtb
02-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Its awesome, theres nothing better, all I do is watch tennis all day. If there isnt a tournament well theres a classic match or show about professional players to watch.

joeman957
02-22-2005, 09:47 AM
A few questions for those with this channel:
Did you have to request the channel or was it in a special package?
Where do you live?
And What service provider do you use? (I use Dish Network)

Gugafan_Redux
02-22-2005, 11:31 AM
I've had it a few years now with Time Warner Cable. Even better than the tennis content is the DVR, Digital Video Recorder. I can never go back to those days of VHS tapes, coming home from work to watch the slam matches that aired during the day. Only to find that the tape ran out in the 5th set! Nooooooooo! Or worse, didn't set the VCR right, or power outage.

DVR - skip commercials, pause, slo-mo.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm with Adelphia, and it's part of my digital package. I can't get it without having digital.

But we also use Adelphia for our internet, and discovered that when all is said and done, it costs less than $10.00 a month for us to have the digital cable along with everything else (and we don't have any of the premium channels (HBO, etc), just basic cable, digital and internet).

My husband wanted to get rid of digital, and even he realized the advantage of having of TTC for less than $10 a month. :-) Better than listening to me complaint about live internet scoring.

The coverage recently has been quite good. TTC has covered the semis and finals of the recent ATP claycourt events, and will be providing the sole coverage from Monte Carlo, Roma and Hamburg. And that was great last year.

Good bang for 10 bucks!

I do hope TTC continues to evolve the way the Golf Channel has.

ibemadskillzz
02-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I have TTC, it's the best because you get to see most of the matches- sometimes all. It has live tournaments on basically everyday. it's awesome. better than the coverages of the grand slam networks.

joeman957
02-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Gah... I wish I could get it, I called Dish Network and got some lady that didn't really know how to speak English, she said it wasn't available in our area and she didn't really give me an answer when I asked her if she knew if it was ever going to be available.

I would give up all the other channels for the Tennis Channel, and I enjoy watching quite a bit of TV.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Is it only for USA ?