PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Machine Question

am22fcw
01-11-2009, 09:10 AM
I am going to get a gamma x-2 stringing machine and i was wondering how easy strings break when stringing. My neighbor has one and hasn't broken one yet and is going to teach me how to string. Also how do you break a racquet when stringing?

tennisfreak15347
01-11-2009, 09:29 AM
how easy you break strings depends on your technique of stringing. The most important thing is to not kink the string, which would cause the string to weaken and break when tension is applied. Make sure the strings don't tangle when you're pulling them through grommets, and handle the strings with care.

As for racquet breakage, I can only see that happening through lack of care.NEVER UN-mount a racquet until it is finished. If you finish the mains, you have to finish the crosses to equalize the pressure in the racquet, or else racquet deformation could occur.

am22fcw
01-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks. i was just trying to find out all i could incase somewhere down the line i string somebody elses racquet.

am22fcw
01-11-2009, 09:33 AM
One last qestion.

If anybody else has a gamma x-2 stringing machine, what strings came with it? I know what my neighbor has but i wanted to know if they gave out any different strings.

tennisfreak15347
01-11-2009, 09:34 AM
it depends on what site you buy it from. Basically they come with various sets of synthetic gut, and around 5 sets of various multifilament strings. all strings would be Gamma brand, of course.

am22fcw
01-11-2009, 09:50 AM
do you know exactly what strings or not?

tennisfreak15347
01-11-2009, 10:42 AM
do you know exactly what strings or not?

that was quite a rude responce, but yes. This is based off of a certain site. as I've stated before, the free string package given VARIES BETWEEN DIFFERENT SITES.
# 1 set of Zo Power 16L
# 1 set of Synthetic Gut w/WearGuard16 (white)
# 1 set of Challenger 16 (white)
# 1 set of Revelation 16
# 1 set of TNT 16

am22fcw
01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
sorry i came off as rude i meant to say do you know exactly what strings? or not?

am22fcw
01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
but thanks for the info

tennisfreak15347
01-11-2009, 10:48 AM
no problem. happy stringing.

stician
01-11-2009, 01:22 PM
be careful of tying knots around shared holes when finishing up the last of the cross string. look for the grommets that are already enlarged. forcing a grommet larger with an awl while a main string is in there weakens that string and is prone to break. some more tips to a good string job

to keep tension accurate try to clamp as close to the grommets as possible.
weave a 2nd cross before pulling the tension of the next cross
keep the unpulled cross as straight as possible before pulling tension. curved crosses are elogated and lose tension when straightened later on

there's good instruction up on youtube too. I forget which member here posted it but it's solid work.

The_Question
01-11-2009, 01:36 PM
The only time I have ever break strings while stringing was going way beyond the recommended tension by the string manufacture.

I have never seen a breakage of a racquet while stringing. That said, try not to go way beyond the recommended tension.

I would recommend you to get a few packs of cheap tour Nylon for practice varies style of stringing...

am22fcw
01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
The only time I have ever break strings while stringing was going way beyond the recommended tension by the string manufacture.

I have never seen a breakage of a racquet while stringing. That said, try not to go way beyond the recommended tension.

I would recommend you to get a few packs of cheap tour Nylon for practice varies style of stringing...

ok thanks i will definitley look for some cheap practice strings

Nuke
01-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Just because they call it a drop weight machine doesn't mean you actually "drop" the weight. Let it down gently, and do not push the weight down any further by hand.