PDA

View Full Version : Serving first serve

OvertheFence
01-11-2009, 11:41 AM
When you serve your first serve,do you have the mindset "Im going to hit this ball as hard as I can" or does the pace just naturally come.

Jonny S&V
01-11-2009, 11:48 AM
When you serve your first serve,do you have the mindset "Im going to hit this ball as hard as I can" or does the pace just naturally come.

Pace comes from being loose, contrary to what your mind might think. I just think "I'm gonna be loose and *insert placement here*".

BU-Tennis
01-11-2009, 12:17 PM
When serving you have to have a balance between going after the ball and maintaining elasticity through the hitting arm. Really, the lower body and upper arm provide the force, and once they are in the hitting position you just let the wrist and arm pronate and strike the ball.

RestockingTues
01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
The pace should naturally come, I don't really know how to describe it but your arm should FLING up like a whip. It's all speed here, you're not trying to sledgehammer the ball.

LeeD
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
seems...
For a hard, well placed first serve, you need the mindset of loose arm and wrist, body moving forward with some twisting motion, a loud POP, and maybe at least 40% in during a match.
If the opponent has no trouble returning it deep and wide to you, maybe moderate that serve slower with more spin and varied placement.
If he can't touch it, you're doing just fine.