PDA

View Full Version : string the first cross

smash king
01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
When I string my racket (microgel radical mp) 18x20 the starting loop is at the top.The mains and end down at the throat what should I do?
Cut the string and do it as a hybrid ?
OR
Start the crosses in the throat and finish in the head?:-?

dcjaybutchdc
01-11-2009, 12:24 PM
if you are doing one peice, then go ahead and start at the throat. there is nothing wrong with that unless there isnt a big hole at the top to tie off. but i suggest doing two piece (hybrid means two different strings). in the long run, two piece is much better. if you do two piece, then start at the top. two piece is also recommended for prestige as well.

william7gr
01-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Dont quote me on this but I believe that head recommends using a two piece for their racquets.

smash king
01-11-2009, 12:28 PM
thanks alot!

Steve Huff
01-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Starting at the bottom on most (if not all) Head rackets will void the warranty. Plus, you run an increased chance of snapping the frame at 2 (10) o'clock. Use 2 pieces as the manufacture suggests.

Zhou
01-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Starting at the bottom on most (if not all) Head rackets will void the warranty. Plus, you run an increased chance of snapping the frame at 2 (10) o'clock. Use 2 pieces as the manufacture suggests.

Two piece is recommended but another valid option is the ATW. Though can only be done with fixed clamps and for the most part requires a starting clamp.

Tim W
01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
3 videos by Yulitle on how to do the Around the World.

Universal ATW: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=E-LEiTpNrnk
No starting clamp ATW pattern: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_RSFu0XhStQ
UKRSA ATW: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XIA2AKB3AJw

Hope this helps.

NightBandit
01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
but i suggest doing two piece (hybrid means two different strings). in the long run, two piece is much better. if you do two piece, then start at the top. two piece is also recommended for prestige as well.

dcjaybutchdc,

Why is a two-piece string job much better than a one-piece? I understand if a racquet manufacturer recommends a two-piece, but if a manufacturer doesn't recommend one over the other, why is a two-piece better?

Thank you,

NightBandit

diredesire
01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
A two piece is better than an incorrect one piece (crosses bottom to top). For head frames, string top down whenever possible. IIRC, the ATW pattern does not satisfy head warranty either, but I've never seen them reject a racquet RMA regardless of string pattern. It's just a "correctness" thing. I agree with Steve Huff, though. Do it the right way, and you don't have anything to worry about.

NightBandit
01-12-2009, 06:00 AM
diredesire,

Let me rephrase my question just a little. Assuming that I can do a one-piece string job that allows me to do my crosses head to throat, is there any advantage of a two-piece over a one-piece string job?

Thank you,

NightBandit

diredesire
01-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Not specifically, although in a traditional one piece, you tie of one end (short side) and continue with the long side. This gives a very slight tension differential on the outside mains (you lose some tension on the knot side). Other than that, I don't see any practical differences.

In a "cosmetic" and "hassle" sense, you have more knots to tie on a two piece, and some stringers (i don't know why) hate tying knots. I personally prefer a two piece, less string dragging around on the ground and getting in the way all the time, but some people like the "clean" two knot look.

Hope this roundabout answer helps ;)

NightBandit
01-12-2009, 09:06 AM
diredesire,

Thank you. This was the answer I was looking (hoping) for.

NightBandit

smash king
01-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Tanks for the answers.

smash king
01-12-2009, 12:43 PM
thanks* for the answers

Irvin
01-12-2009, 02:50 PM
You could do an around the world pattern with that racket very easily. Instead of running the last main on the long side start your crosses with the long side leaving the last main on the long side unstrung. When you get to the bottom run the last main up the racket and tie off at the top.

Also you do not need any special tools to string this way.

Irvin