PDA

View Full Version : Do strings break quicker in colder weather?

mikeler
01-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Granted I live in Florida, but I have been breaking my PSGD every couple of sets the last month or so.

big hitter
01-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Dont know the answer to your question but if you hit with alot of spin and power PSGD is going to rip like in an hour or less.

If you hit with alot of power and spin give polys a try those wont break as quickly as syntetics do.

MarrratSafin
01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
PSGD is not durable at all. Try some co-polys or just use them as crosses in a hybrid..

Mansewerz
01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Yes, in short, yes they will break earlier in colder weather.

Bottle Rocket
01-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Granted I live in Florida, but I have been breaking my PSGD every couple of sets the last month or so.

Yeah, string is going to break quicker in colder weather.

The effect of temperature on the string depends heavily on the type of string.

Synthetic gut seems to get noticably stiffer in colder weather and the string most definitely becomes more brittle. For this reason, I thinkw worn string will snap easier.

I am not sure about natural gut, I would imagine it is affected less than a synthetic gut.

I don't think a polyester-type string would care so much about cooler temperatures.

With that said, you're in Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!

autumn_leaf
01-11-2009, 09:02 PM
umm what's cold in florida? like 70 ?_? lol

other than the weather it could be that you're hitting harder =)

mikeler
01-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Yeah, string is going to break quicker in colder weather.

The effect of temperature on the string depends heavily on the type of string.

Synthetic gut seems to get noticably stiffer in colder weather and the string most definitely becomes more brittle. For this reason, I thinkw worn string will snap easier.

I am not sure about natural gut, I would imagine it is affected less than a synthetic gut.

I don't think a polyester-type string would care so much about cooler temperatures.

With that said, you're in Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm never leaving!

mikeler
01-12-2009, 06:01 AM
umm what's cold in florida? like 70 ?_? lol

other than the weather it could be that you're hitting harder =)

We have had quite a few days in the low 80s recently. Cold front is blowing through today. I think North Florida may get a freeze this week.

mikeler
01-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Dont know the answer to your question but if you hit with alot of spin and power PSGD is going to rip like in an hour or less.

If you hit with alot of power and spin give polys a try those wont break as quickly as syntetics do.

I'm a spin meister and hit with decent pace. In the summer, the strings were lasting me about 8 or 9 sets. I have my own stringer and I don't mind restringing every few matches, so it is not that big of an issue for me. Just bought another reel of PSGD, so I'm stuck with it for a little while. The feel of the PSGD strings works for me, but if I decide to change my setup, I will probably go with a poly/PSGD hybrid.

origmarm
01-12-2009, 06:45 AM
The short answer is yes. From experience it would appear that gut is affected the most, followed by syn gut. Poly and multi seem the least affected

goosala
01-12-2009, 07:39 AM
The cold makes the string less resilient so it will break sooner. Warmer weather makes the string looser so it has more give. I have to lower my tension four lbs. in the winter to compensate.

SoCal10s
01-12-2009, 08:24 AM
from my experience when the weather gets cooler(40-50*) and with high humidity ,the strings break faster.. I had the same occurrence here in SoCal area where my players were breaking strings(poly) within 3 hours of hitting where the strings usually last about 10-12 hours of play... try taking care of your racket and do not leave them out in the cooler/humid air too long, rap them up in a plastic bag and keep them inside the thermo racket bag or cover.

supermario343
01-12-2009, 08:58 AM
try living in chicago like me :( lol..stupid cold weather....i have to settle for hitting indoors and it just isnt the same

mikeler
01-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Chicago is a great city. If I ever win the lottery, that is where my summer home will be :)