PDA

View Full Version : A call to ban excessive towel pointing

rallyjunkie
01-11-2009, 03:56 PM
it's annoying how often ATP players play a point then point to the ballboy to get his towel. so many players after every single point call to wipe off with a towel. Nadal Murray Tsonga Djkovic Haas and many others are culprits of this. think of how much time is shown on TV of the player, after point ends, points for towel. It happens so much in ATP matches much more than in WTA.

I guess the ferocity and intensity of all out work for a hard point maybe deserves a respite but it would improve the overall aesthetic of watching the match by having the players not going to the towel after just about every point.

veroniquem
01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Some people sweat buckets, others hardly do even after prolonged efforts. What is it recently with all those posters trying to stifle the sport with inflexible rules? What's next? Setting acceptable standards for breathing on court?

tacou
01-11-2009, 04:06 PM
heyy man the season has started, no need from dumb threads like this anymore.

Mansewerz
01-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Wait, WTF? I'm against excessive ball bouncing, but wiping yourself down is not wrong IMO.

GameSampras
01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Ohhh god.. Roddick and Nadal are the WORSE culprits. Its outta hand. It seems every point they are calling for the towel. But its how it goes. Im sure they use it as a quick break and gather themselves. Players can find loopholes as well. Not just lawyers. LOL

gj011
01-11-2009, 04:10 PM
We should have robots playing tennis. They don't sweat and don't need towels.

sureshs
01-11-2009, 04:11 PM
I agree - no towels during the game.

veroniquem
01-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Great post, lol, it seems that's exactly what some people would like.

GameSampras
01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Did Mac, Connors, Sampras, Borg, Courier, Andre need that many "towel Breaks?"

oneleggedcardinal
01-11-2009, 04:14 PM
You know what I hate? Towels. Ban please.

Mansewerz
01-11-2009, 04:15 PM

Borg was such an @$$ he toweled off his racquet handle :D

DoubleDeuce
01-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Fill the blanks if you like;

1- Rafa should stop excessive ________
2- Novak Should stop excessive________
3- Andy M should stop excessive________
4 Andy R should stop excessive________
5.....?

Pretty much everyone does something excessive.

El Diablo
01-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Pro tennis players are in the entertainment business, so reasonable rules to keep the game entertaining and quick-moving make perfect sense. I'm a middle aged guy who could lose a few pounds and wait I two games to towel off in 98 degree weather. These guys could use a wristband or shirt to blot their sweat. Pro tennis is an asylum run by the inmates.

Nadal_Freak
01-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Haha just another example of trying to attack Nadal. So many haters. lol Lame thread.

mistapooh
01-11-2009, 04:42 PM
They do it to catch a breather and to get their rhythm right. Looks better than bouncing the ball and walking around the backcourt during that 20 seconds at least.

Ronny
01-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Towels shouldn't be banned...I sweat shitloads and wouldn't need to wipe off near every point. Its just up to the person. If you don't like it, then don't watch it.

JeMar
01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
This isn't as bad as the extra time some players take between points. I don't mind them using the towels.

oneleggedcardinal
01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Towels shouldn't be banned...I sweat shitloads and wouldn't need to wipe off near every point. Its just up to the person. If you don't like it, then don't watch it. And btw rallyjunkie, are you only getting pist at this coz you're ballboying for the AO?....Just get over it, its your job :P

Yes they should. I don't even use them after I take a shower. The manner in which they drape over things and lay there is unsettling, to say the least. Also, it has recently been scientifically proven that the debris that sheds off of towels accumulates year after year in one's lungs, eventually leading to death via pulmonary embolism. I don't know about you, but I care about the players and their health...please do what you can to contact the ATP about this.

TheTruth
01-11-2009, 04:52 PM
A new low!

veritech
01-11-2009, 04:53 PM
towels should not be banned. instead, they should just give players face towels. ;)

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-11-2009, 04:55 PM
OP: I bet you dont ever go in 100 degree weather, run about a mile for the ball, and break a sweat. You must play in antarctica. How are the eskimos?

Mansewerz
01-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I bet the OP is just a hater

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-11-2009, 05:09 PM

dude... why did you change your avi....

Mansewerz
01-11-2009, 05:09 PM
dude... why did you change your avi....

what're you talking about?...:D

veroniquem
01-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Yes they should. I don't even use them after I take a shower. The manner in which they drape over things and lay there is unsettling, to say the least. Also, it has recently been scientifically proven that the debris that sheds off of towels accumulates year after year in one's lungs, eventually leading to death via pulmonary embolism. I don't know about you, but I care about the players and their health...please do what you can to contact the ATP about this.
:shock::shock::shock:
Catching pneumonia after your shower because you don't get dry (in potentially cool temperatures) doesn't sound like a viable alternative to me...

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
what're you talking about?...:D

I guess that Nadal Freak got to you haha.

Mansewerz
01-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I guess that Nadal Freak got to you haha.

Yea, Nadal ftw!

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Yea, Nadal ftw!

yeah yeah, we'll see in AO ;)

oneleggedcardinal
01-11-2009, 06:00 PM
:shock::shock::shock:
Catching pneumonia after your shower because you don't get dry (in potentially cool temperatures) doesn't sound like a viable alternative to me...

Well, actually, pneumonia is not an option because I roll around on a specially constructed sponge pad; It sure beats the pile of sawdust I used to use. I encourage you to eschew the towels...maybe start off with some oscillating heater fans?

Please go to the ATP website and make your voice heard.

Tennis_Monk
01-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Instead of towels (like in some rest rooms) may be they should use Fans. They are more GREEN !!

Towels are least of my worries in pro tennis.

tacou
01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
whoa whoa whoa.. so am I to understand there's been a towlie-ban?

no but seriously why is this thread 2 pages long? players should just sweat all over themselves and drop their rackets? I don't believe mods exist on this board.

oneleggedcardinal
01-11-2009, 06:24 PM
whoa whoa whoa.. so am I to understand there's been a towlie-ban?

no but seriously why is this thread 2 pages long? players should just sweat all over themselves and drop their rackets? I don't believe mods exist on this board.

No, but there should be. As I stated before, towel use leads to a build-up of debris in the lungs, which could cause a pulmonary embolism. The players' lives are at risk. I suggest everyone do as I do and stop using towels. If you don't like the methods I've used in the past (mentioned in one of my posts above) you can always stand next to a grill after your daily showers. It can be done people, towels can be eradicated from professional sports and from our own lives. For the children!

Mansewerz
01-11-2009, 06:24 PM
I also propose we play tennis on tempur pedic cushions so that no player can fall and hurt himself.

veroniquem
01-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Well, actually, pneumonia is not an option because I roll around on a specially constructed sponge pad; It sure beats the pile of sawdust I used to use. I encourage you to eschew the towels...maybe start off with some oscillating heater fans?

Ha ha I'd love to see that (you rolling on a sponge pad, that is!)

tacou
01-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Imagine a smart towel. it senses how wet you are and dries you accordingly. but then it keeps drying you. and drying you.

do you know what it's like to be really, really dry? you don't want to know.

and I don't know.

oneleggedcardinal
01-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Fight pulmonary pneumonia! For the children I say! The ATP has ignored me for years...how can they reject this amazing piece of technology?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns4mnmNBk1Y

oneleggedcardinal
01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Ha ha I'd love to see that (you rolling on a sponge pad, that is!)

Well, I sent a video of myself to the ATP as a way to suggest alternatives to using those dangerous, crafty towels, but, of course, they ignored me. Imagine how much better of a world we would live in if, instead of toweling off after points, player could just roll around on specialized sponge beds!

tacou
01-11-2009, 06:53 PM
you people need to listen to this man. towels are DANGEROUS.

phoenicks
01-11-2009, 08:05 PM

as well as no rest intervals and no bouncing of balls, just toss and serve when the point ends. LOL:p

Sentinel
01-11-2009, 08:12 PM
No way, not with a name like rally junkie.

Nickk
01-11-2009, 08:21 PM
for continuity of the forum I think the "Vince" should run out on the court with a "Shamwow" and towel of players. After all it works while wet!

Seriously though it is a bit excessive of late; particularly after a quick point. I think if the media starts to rip on them about it excessive toweling, it will far out of favor.

moonbat
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM

Are you sure it's not a loofah? ;)

martini1
01-11-2009, 11:08 PM
The sweating is the problem. They should ban sweating have them play the game on PS3 in room with the a/c turned to the max. :lol:

origmarm
01-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Surely it doesn't really matter what they get up to between points (short of hindrance) as long as they stick to the time limit? I couldn't care less whether they use a towel, pick their butt, bounce a ball or talk to themselves while doing jumping jacks so long as they don't break the time rules. That's what makes the game dull to watch and gives players an unfair advantage in some circumstances.

aphex
01-12-2009, 01:33 AM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/royohana/Towelie.jpg

DarthMaul
01-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Some people do sweat a lot, look at Roddick's hat between points. What is he supposed to do? Quit playing or what? The OP is bored to death so he wrote an unusual post just to draw attention, me thinks.

Dark Victory
01-12-2009, 01:56 AM
I like how Pete used his thumb to wipe sweat off his brow.

Ronny
01-12-2009, 02:01 AM

Anything can kill you...I've even heard that drinking vitamin water kills you....:confused:

rallyjunkie
01-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Pete Sampras used the inside of his index finger to swipe off sweat, sorry to correct you.

You watch the womens side and they rarely go to the towel even if it's absurdly hot and humid. I remember when the Bondarenkos won the Australian doubles final vs. Peer/Azarenka and they were sweating and soaked in their own sweat, but they were not going to the towel at all, AT ALL. I clearly remember thinking pleae go to the towel you look like a mess, it was actually bothering me how uncomfortably sweating they were. But they were so focused I guess. Then you watch the men and they point and go to the towel after every point, even indoors when it's not that hot.

Sentinel
01-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Could not agree more with these 2 posters.

Having played a wee bit i know that in hot climate, sweat flows down to the palm despite wide wristbands. The grip becomes slippery which affects your shots.

Sweat from your face also can drop onto the hands or grip. Towelling is necessary.

The sweating is the problem. They should ban sweating have them play the game on PS3 in room with the a/c turned to the max. :lol:

That should take care of grunting and fake injury timeouts, too.

Surely it doesn't really matter what they get up to between points (short of hindrance) as long as they stick to the time limit? I couldn't care less whether they use a towel, pick their butt, bounce a ball or talk to themselves while doing jumping jacks so long as they don't break the time rules. That's what makes the game dull to watch and gives players an unfair advantage in some circumstances.

mikeler
01-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Could not agree more with these 2 posters.

Having played a wee bit i know that in hot climate, sweat flows down to the palm despite wide wristbands. The grip becomes slippery which affects your shots.

Sweat from your face also can drop onto the hands or grip. Towelling is necessary.

That should take care of grunting and fake injury timeouts, too.

I would not be able to see if I could not use a towel in the summer. Sweat in the eyes is brutal during a point. With that being said, some players do use it to break the server's rhythm. I'm not sure if Nadal does it on purpose, but he is a big offender of towel overuse.

veroniquem
01-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Well, I sent a video of myself to the ATP as a way to suggest alternatives to using those dangerous, crafty towels, but, of course, they ignored me. Imagine how much better of a world we would live in if, instead of toweling off after points, player could just roll around on specialized sponge beds!
That would be awesome :)

Blade0324
01-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Pretty lame thread IMO. Using a towel is fine as long as time limits are not abused too much. I like that it slows the pace of the game from a spectators point of view. I also prefer a slower pace when playing. I'm in excellent shape and could play very quickly if I desired but choose rather to slow things down and be deliberate with my actions as well as looking ahead to the next point.

abmk
01-12-2009, 07:17 AM
LOL @ the topic :)

Sentinel
01-12-2009, 07:23 AM
I would not be able to see if I could not use a towel in the summer. Sweat in the eyes is brutal during a point. With that being said, some players do use it to break the server's rhythm. I'm not sure if Nadal does it on purpose, but he is a big offender of towel overuse.
I used to play a flat game cos I could not get topspin. I was hardly sweating since I could not really lash out at the ball (hitting flat).
One day when i learned how to topspin, I was able to swing much much harder and still keep the ball in.
Guess what ?? I was sweating buckets all of a sudden. Therefore I am not too surprised to hear you say that Nadal uses the towel a lot. And lets not forget that he chases every ball down which most others would have just let go by.

anyway, i agree its a lame thread, another couple days more of lame threads till the AO.

coloskier
01-12-2009, 07:56 AM
As far as I am concerned, I see no problem with toweling off after every point, as long as they are ready to serve or receive in the mandated 20 seconds after a point has ended. For those that say that they should have more time to rest, I say HELL NO. If they can't be ready after 20 seconds, than maybe they should try to end the point a little sooner next time.

Bud
01-12-2009, 08:00 AM
It's annoying and it's become more of a habit than a necessity :neutral:

sureshs
01-12-2009, 08:01 AM
They should have female models towel down the players

oneleggedcardinal
01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Anything can kill you...I've even heard that drinking vitamin water kills you....:confused:

Yes, true. But vitamin water does not surreptitiously hang in the bathroom, waiting to strike, as towels do. Nor does vitamin water purport to 'protect' your body from beach sand, while it poisons your lungs with its fuzzy debris. Face it my friend, I know things...one of which is that towels are evil incarnate, sown from the infernal sinew of Satan's happy trail...please do your best to fight the good fight...our players depend on you.

veroniquem
01-12-2009, 12:43 PM
They should have female models towel down the players
and show all the tennis tournaments on Playboy channel?

Leublu tennis
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Sweat + ground = slip and fall

Gorecki
01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Haha just another example of trying to attack Nadal. So many haters. lol Lame thread.

you have serious problems...

oneleggedcardinal
01-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Sweat + ground = slip and fall

Towel + face= imminent death.

Leublu tennis
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM

???????????????????????

tacou
01-12-2009, 02:35 PM

listen to the man he knows what he's talking about.

don't tell me you haven't seen the designs for the new smart-towels??

seriously, 2012 can't come soon enough. I'd gladly welcome the apocalypse than be slaves to a race of towels!

Nadal_Freak
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
you have serious problems...
Yeah. Having to stomach your posts.

Hatari!
01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Record the match, and fast-forward through the towel wiping parts. It would be much less effort than all this energy put into whining about somebody's innocuous habits.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
01-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I think tennis balls should be banned next, I mean that alone takes away from the game. Now does that make any sense??? :roll:

Hatari!
01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I think tennis balls should be banned next, I mean that alone takes away from the game. Now does that make any sense??? :roll:

Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, you must now decide whether to reverse the decision for my client Chef. I know he seems guilty, but ladies and gentlemen... This is Chewbacca. Now think about that for one moment—that does not make sense. Why am I talking about Chewbacca when a man's life is on the line? Why? I'll tell you why: I don't know.

It does not make sense. If Chewbacca does not make sense, you must acquit!

tacou
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
ah, the chewbacca defense. brilliant.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
It gets you everytime, and with the chewbacca defense that means the toweling will stay. :lol::lol:

Good old South Park.

Gorecki
01-13-2009, 03:15 AM
Yeah. Having to stomach your posts.

right. stomach. that's where you decode them.
not in your head since there's nothing there!

0d1n
01-13-2009, 03:59 AM
There's a maximum time rule between points. Enforce that and there is no problem.
People who towel off and pick their arse don't get to bounce the ball 100 times between the same two points...unless they do it REALLY REALLY quickly.
That's about it.

Sentinel
01-13-2009, 05:48 AM
Maybe they could have towel-girls, who come wrapped in towels.

A nice brotherly hug would take care of any excess sweat.

Wait, hold on, we are trying to reduce time between points, right ? Sorry!

veroniquem
01-13-2009, 05:53 AM
I think the net should be banned, it's in the way too often, getting rid of it would speed up the rallies :)

Nadal_Freak
01-13-2009, 06:23 AM
right. stomach. that's where you decode them.
not in your head since there's nothing there!
I think you should be banned. All you do is insult people that think differently then you.

Sentinel
01-13-2009, 06:46 AM
I think the net should be banned, it's in the way too often, getting rid of it would speed up the rallies :)

LOL !!! Its especially in Federer's way - he should love your proposal.

JennyS
12-28-2009, 05:42 AM
someone wanted this thread bumped. BUMP!

raiden031
12-28-2009, 05:47 AM
I can guarantee I sweat more than every ATP player on tour, yet I don't towel every point.

chanee
12-28-2009, 05:49 AM
I think you should be banned. All you do is insult people that think differently then you.

Hey, that's actually true! :)

Gorecki
12-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Hey, that's actually true! :)

well... guess who got banned?

chanee
12-28-2009, 06:51 AM
well... guess who got banned?

I never agreed with the banning bit. But you do tend to get rather angry with people don't share the same views as you. :) Like this Nadal_Freak said.

Gorecki
12-28-2009, 07:07 AM
I never agreed with the banning bit. But you do tend to get rather angry with people don't share the same views as you. :) Like this Nadal_Freak said.

i tend to get angry at the lack of good sense... and even more so at those who dont even play tennis but do spend their time in a tennis forum posting about things they dont even know such as surface speed, basic physics, tennis "technicalities" etc, and wich the mentioned person seemed to do often! as for you, i would apreciate that you do not try to start me using the wrong foot! so... who are you again? i mean.. wich former banned poster are you?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-28-2009, 07:35 AM

No, actually they didn't. :)

Watch some 'Classic Tennis' on ESPN or Tennis Channel. It's remarkable how much more quickly they play, and a LOT of it is the lack of the incessant toweling off ritual.

I sweat a TON, play in a hot climate, and rarely need to go the towel more often than every game or two.

BHBH

SuperFly
12-28-2009, 08:04 AM
towels should not be banned. instead, they should just give players face towels. ;)

How about we surgically add the face towels? Then they can't wave for a towel.

http://i49.tinypic.com/333bij7.jpg

Sorry, I had to do it quickly.

zettabyte
12-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Sorry, I had to do it quickly.

I took just a smidge more time and came up with this. :-D

http://imgur.com/6xk7d.jpg

tacou
12-28-2009, 08:45 AM
classic thread.

patty_mnouchkine
12-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Wait, WTF? I'm against excessive ball bouncing, but wiping yourself down is not wrong IMO.

and that's how you make a point!!!!

SuperFly
12-28-2009, 09:42 AM
I took just a smidge more time and came up with this. :-D

http://imgur.com/6xk7d.jpg

You must suck at cropping, but still: it's freaking TOWELIE!

Don't forget to bring a towel!

djones
12-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I think it's disgusting that they use 'poor' kids to hand them their stinky sweatie towels.

wangs78
12-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Some people sweat buckets, others hardly do even after prolonged efforts. What is it recently with all those posters trying to stifle the sport with inflexible rules? What's next? Setting acceptable standards for breathing on court?

I have to agree. I think the time limit rules are there to prevent excessive behavior and not to handcuff players, who each have their own idiosyncracies. A lot of ppl point to Nadal for excessive time taken between points and I do think it's a bit much occasionally but for the most part I think it is still within the realm of human tendency. If anything, a volume limit should be put on the women's game before any other new rule.

Blinkism
12-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Let's ban anyone who ever beat Roger Federer in match.

Isn't that what this thread is about, ultimately?

Yeah, so it'll just be an ATP tour with Federer, Soderling, and thousands of journeymen.

And none of them will be using a towel.

mental midget
12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
i miss the days of lendl and his sawdust-

from trees, incidentally, that he felled and ground into fine powder with his own teeth.

atp needs to MAN UP.

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Right no towels, no water, no bathroom breaks or eating of any food.

Players must play quickly and if they have to go then they should wear undergarments.

Get a life people.

Rippy
12-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Right no towels, no water, no bathroom breaks or eating of any food.

Players must play quickly and if they have to go then they should wear undergarments.

Get a life people.

Way to exaggerate.

Thread is about "excessive towelling".