PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question on my 1st Hybrid

stinkpaw
01-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Background: I typically play with Big Ace Micro strung at 63 in O3 Black (hole insert) and a gamma worm dampener. I **love** playing with this setup but my wrist doesnít, so Iím going to try a hybrid to soften it a little.

Iím planning on trying a couple hybrid with BA as the mains and crosses being either OG Sheep Micro Super 17 or Pro Supex Max Touch.

Question: generally speaking the crosses should be strung higher than the mains, correct (and if so why)? Typically how much tighter?

Thanks.

Bud
01-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Background: I typically play with Big Ace Micro strung at 63 in O3 Black (hole insert) and a gamma worm dampener. I **love** playing with this setup but my wrist doesn’t, so I’m going to try a hybrid to soften it a little.

I’m planning on trying a couple hybrid with BA as the mains and crosses being either OG Sheep Micro Super 17 or Pro Supex Max Touch.

Question: generally speaking the crosses should be strung higher than the mains, correct (and if so why)? Typically how much tighter?

Thanks.

There's no rule set in stone concerning which should be tighter. If it were my racquet I'd string the poly mains at 55# and the SG/MF crosses at 60#. That will still be firm but much softer than a full poly stringbed.

Bud
01-11-2009, 05:52 PM
How old are you, BTW?

Bud
01-11-2009, 05:53 PM
There's no rule set in stone concerning which should be tighter. If it were my racquet I'd string the poly mains at 55# and the SG/MF crosses at 60#. That will still be firm but much softer than a full poly stringbed.

Let me re-phrase that... If I were you and that was my racquet...

For me, I'd string the poly mains at 45# and the crosses at 48#.

stinkpaw
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Let me re-phrase that... If I were you and that was my racquet...

For me, I'd string the poly mains at 45# and the crosses at 48#.

3.0 player in mid-30s only been playing ~3 yrs.

I can't imagine playing with strings that low but hell I'll try anything once...

Max Winther
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
If I were you, I'd try the big ace micro at around 58 before you try a hybrid. Maybe you already have and didn't like it? If you want to go the hybrid route, Gosen is a good cross to use. I'd go 60/62 mains/crosses.

stinkpaw
01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
If I were you, I'd try the big ace micro at around 58 before you try a hybrid. Maybe you already have and didn't like it? If you want to go the hybrid route, Gosen is a good cross to use. I'd go 60/62 mains/crosses.

When I 1st started I tried the BA at ~55 because thats what the package said but I didn't like it. Although I doubt I'm good enough to tell the difference and maybe just didn't like the sound it made... :)