PDA

View Full Version : Somdevv Devvarmann

train5524
01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
The Indian who played at University of Virginia for 4 years and won back to back NCAA singles titles finaled at Doha Open in Doha, China. Singnificant wins over Kevin Kim, Carlos Moya, Ivo Karlovic, and Rainer Scheuttler. Can college tennis really be getting that much better?

eeytennis
01-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I think that Devvarman is an exception, along with John Isner and a few other players. Most college players, especially women don't go on to succeed on the pro tour.

Fedace
01-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I think that Devvarman is an exception, along with John Isner and a few other players. Most college players, especially women don't go on to succeed on the pro tour.

What about JP Mcenroe ?? he did pretty well after Stanford..:)

train5524
01-11-2009, 06:24 PM
i'd have to agree. One of my coaches was Isner's roomate in college and he told me that he just had one hot summer and has been getting wild cards ever since. Not the greatest ways to get into tournaments.

Womens college tennis on the other hand is not strong at all, none of the foreign girl really care about college tennis, they go straight pro. Mens tour is much harder to make that is why most foreigners go to college, and womens is much much easier.

FedererISBetter
01-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Considering he won back to back NCAA single titles indicated that the kid got some talent and skills to go far... and thats exactly what he is doing now. College tennis definately have been stepping up knotches with international students raising the bar of standards... not saying they are neccessary better.. but more tennis people.. more compeition. College tennis, usually the bigger and better teams, have wide range of excellent tennis resources such as various trainers and professional coaches that gives them that extra push. Theres definately others too, I'm sure others will point them out.

jrod
01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm watching the match (finals) where he is playing Cilic. While he is impressive, I don't see a weapon other than his feet/legs. Many opportunities to break, but seems to be coming up short. He doesn't come into net, he has a hard time putting balls away that deserve to be, and he doesn't take the ball early like Andre did robbing his opponet of time. I really have a hard time seeing Somdev doing well on the tour.

train5524
01-11-2009, 06:41 PM
As do I, he is short, fast, and has amazing hands...any top tens like that besides chang?

lolsmash
01-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Doha is in Qatar bro

ClarkC
01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
The Indian who played at University of Virginia for 4 years and won back to back NCAA singles titles finaled at Doha Open in Doha, China. Singnificant wins over Kevin Kim, Carlos Moya, Ivo Karlovic, and Rainer Scheuttler. Can college tennis really be getting that much better?

Somdev was at an ATP event in Chennai, India.

A different event was going on in Doha, Qatar.

No ATP event was going on in China.

train5524
01-12-2009, 04:50 PM
you're deffinitely right idk what i was thinking

LSStringing
01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
What about JP Mcenroe ?? he did pretty well after Stanford..:)

That was too long ago. It was a much different era. Lots of players went to college at least for a little while. Now its rare that someone goes to school, let alone completes it. James Blake was the last REALLY successful player to go to college.

sureshs
01-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Brians were at Stanford for 2 years

Lisa Raymond was in a Florida University.

scraps234
01-12-2009, 05:31 PM
dude that guy is amazing he is probably one of the few though...

SCSI
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Somdevv is a lighter version of Hewett with good hands, quick feet, and strong mental ability. Like others have said, I don't see him hanging with top 30 players. I doubt that he will be make a consistent top 50 player like Hyung-taik Lee.

I think he will be figured out like Benedikt Dorsch and Benjamin Becker, though he is having a great run.

LSStringing
01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Brians were at Stanford for 2 years

Lisa Raymond was in a Florida University.

Although they're all men, none made a significant dent in the singles rankings.

Leublu tennis
01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
That was too long ago. It was a much different era. Lots of players went to college at least for a little while. Now its rare that someone goes to school, let alone completes it. James Blake was the last REALLY successful player to go to college.

I think Blake dropped out after his first year at Harvard.

LSStringing
01-13-2009, 06:54 AM
I think Blake dropped out after his first year at Harvard.

And? Most pros who went to college didn't finish.

mrmo1115
01-13-2009, 07:13 AM
At least its better than Roddick, who didn't even go to college.... I bet he isn't smart enough.

Fedace
01-15-2009, 11:04 PM
NEW flash... Somdev goes out in the Qualies of Australian open to someone named Kubot. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted...