PDA

View Full Version : One On One Doubles...ever play it?

Chris De Tone
01-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi. I just wanted to see if anyone here has played in this format before. One On One Doubles is a serve/volley game for singles players. The server must serve and volley on both serves. The point is played out deuce to deuce, ad to ad. A line is drawn extending the center service line to the baseline. I guess that it was created by a tennis coach, Ed Krass. I have played it once before here in Florida. I am playing again later this month. Just curious if anyone else has heard of it/played it. Thanks.

Cruzer
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I play it against my wife all the time. She is not a singles player (although she could be if she wanted to learn) and she thinks it is good for doubles play. She gets half the court and the alley on each side for each point. She give me the same but I try to use only the half court and not the alley since I use it more for singles play.

OrangePower
01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I've played a drill that is very similar, with the centerline extended to the baseline as you've described. The doubles alley is in, and the basic rule is that your shot has to land on the crosscourt side if allowed to bounce. The way I've played it does not have the requirement for the server to serve and volley (although this is typically what happens).

A friend of mine is very fond of this drill but to be honest I find it of limited use myself (but do it from time to time to humor my friend).

Chris De Tone
01-12-2009, 04:38 AM
Thanks for responding...sorry for the delay. I had to turn in. Yeah, I like it as a drill and I agree that it does help with actual doubles play. In Florida, they play it on clay (Har-Tru) and it is a slow game. I do like serve/volley, but I wish that it were played on hard courts. Take care. Thanks again.

AR15
01-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Play it as a drill semi-regularly.

tennisally
01-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Actually it can be a very advanced game at the tournament level. Look up Ed Krass' One on One Doubles. A lot of the One on One Tournament players are at a very high level but a couple of clubs in our area have been trying start tournaments at the lower 3.5-4.5 levels. Another other drill is to play out the points one on one but let your "dummy" partner jump in and poach if they can but the two actually playing out the points ignore the poacher trying to win the point. It is great for focusing on the ball.:)

AR15
01-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Question:

During our drill, the server must volley or half-volley the receivers return. If this is played as a tournament game, who judges if the receiver hit a half-volley or regular return?

Chris De Tone
01-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Good question...when I played the tournament I was wondering the same thing. I was hoping that they would have an umpire. They did not. I play serve/volley anyway so I did not need to change anything. But, alot of my opponents did not come in all of the time. I did not say anything, but once Ed Krass told my opponent that he needs to start coming in. It's OK. I just used it for a good practice and enjoyed the party afterward.

randomname
01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't see the point, it just seems like a less fun version of regular doubles.

skiracer55
01-12-2009, 09:47 AM
...works well if you want to learn how to come in. For doubles, works pretty much as is. For singles, what you're doing is trying to constrain the court so you get a feel for S&V without having to lunge for passing shots you can't reach because you haven't, well, you know, had a lot of experience S&Ving. Either way, it's a good drill...

NoBadMojo
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
This drill has been around for ages. that guy certainly didnt 'invent' it. It is also not necessary to serve/volley every serve. The drill has more variety when you can play the point anyway you like provided everything is cross court. obviously, if someone wants to work on their serve/volley game they would play serve/volley. staying back gives you good practice in hitting angles.
We also sometimes change the game where every shot must go up the court instead of crosscourt...this gives the benefot of practicing returns which are harder than the xcourt return as well as other benefits

Chris De Tone
01-12-2009, 11:34 AM
No, I understand that Ed Krass did not invent the drill. He just simply took the drill and ran with it by marketing it a little bit and pushing tournaments out there, that's all. However, as much as I like the other idea of not always coming in if you choose not to, during these matches you are required to serve and volley on both serves every time. The returner just plays it straight up. I was just wondering if anyone has played in these tournaments. They also set it up as a compass draw, finishing the tournament in 1 day...on clay! My legs were burning and I lost 10 lbs that day (I know, water)...but it was something different.

topsltennis
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes, I play it with one of my regular hitting partners, but not necessarily with serve/volley, just playing out cross court. We do it primarily because I am a stronger player and it equalizes things a bit- not requiring him to cover as much court. I love it and it seems to have helped my crosscourt groundies a lot.

GPB
01-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes, I play it with one of my regular hitting partners, but not necessarily with serve/volley, just playing out cross court. We do it primarily because I am a stronger player and it equalizes things a bit- not requiring him to cover as much court. I love it and it seems to have helped my crosscourt groundies a lot.

Yeah it really forces you to keep it crosscourt. We warm up with this drill, trying to keep it in play; then later we play it competitively.

Another twist we put on it, to focus on a certain shot, is playing "all backhands" from the add side, or "all forehands" from the deuce. It forces you to hit your shot and recover back to the middle (so they don't return it behind you). Fun stuff!

onehandbh
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
A few years ago when I was playing a bunch of 2-man
beach volleyball, sometime I'd do 1-on-1 games.
SUPER TOUGH. basically each person covers the ENTIRE
side by themselves. You bump to the net, set yourself and
then spike. Requires a lot of control and movement.

I've seen some high level coed volleyball tournaments where
during the receiving of serve, the woman stood at the
net to set and the man covered the ENTIRE back court
to ensure that he would get to spike and that the opponent
wouldn't be able to serve to the woman. They guy actually
did decently with this strategy.