PDA

View Full Version : Should I be using nylon or a co-poly?

chang10is
01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm a ~4.0 player who hits with a semi-western forehand and 2-handed backhand. In years past, I usually broke strings after about 20 hours of play when I use a multifilament or a more playable solid core synthetic like Gamma TNT. Recently, I've been playing against more advanced players and hitting harder than in previous years. My last 2 string jobs were done with Gosen OG Sheep 16 and Wilson Sensation 16--both went mushy after about 12-15 hours of play, so I cut them out. My swing speed is medium to fast, depending on who I'm playing against.

I just did my first hybrid string job 2 weeks ago with Topspin Cyber Flash 17 on the mains and Gosen OG Sheep 16 on the crosses. I like the increased control and spin I've gotten, especially the spin when I swing fast. So I started thinking about trying out some MSV Focus Hex 17L or getting a reel of the CF.

But I just read in J011yroger's guide (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=184942) that polys don't maintain their playability very long. If OG Sheep and Sensation lost playability after 12-15 hours, how long can I expect this CF hybrid job to maintain playability? Given my playing habits, is a co-poly main hybrid with solid core synthetic the best way to go for me, or should I be trying something different? I'm looking for a setup with optimal 1) control, 2) long-lasting playability, 3) spin potential.

Your input would be really appreciated!

Valjean
01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

Roughly 30-40 hours is about all the major string manufacturers maintain their nylon-based string is good for. You could expect to squeeze another third out of yours by adding in string savers, more still if you elected to switch to a good 15L like Prince's Topspin 15L, the one with Duraflex, or Toa's Leoina 66, the inexpensive tournament nylon. You could even get better playability out of newer multis like, say, Babolat's Addiction.

The Poly Problem is indeed with us, and arm/wrist/shoulder problems often accompany its use.

chang10is
01-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Anybody else? Given my playing habits, what setup would give me optimal control, long-lasting playability, and spin potential?

tennisfreak15347
01-12-2009, 05:15 PM
yes, if you like your current hybrid, then you should keep using it. However, whenever you feel that the poly strings are dead and loosing playability, you must cut them out. leaving them in could have potential harm on your arm and your health. IMO, I think the poly hybrid will last you just as long as your nylon-based strings, if not more.

chang10is
01-17-2009, 11:05 AM
hoping to get a few more opinions...

TennezSport
01-17-2009, 12:03 PM
All the comments you have read here are spot on, from our experience.

If you could look at what happens to a string that is under tension you would see that the strings begin to break down at the molecular level almost immediately. So you can string a racquet today and never play with it, and in a certain amount of time (depending on string material, tension, racquet head size and string density), the string will go dead due to elogation and other factors.

Now add hitting with the racquet and this will speed up that process depending on how hard you hit, style of hitting, playing conditions and court surface along with the factors listed above. 20hrs from the string you listed is actually very good at the level you state. Originally, poly string was developed for clay court Pro players to guard against string breakage in key points of A match, not for longevity as most recreational players use it for. Most Pro players string almost every day so longevity was not the issue. This is why some polys can go dead (lose the ability to snap back) rather quickly.

However, there are a number of new co-poly strings hitting the market that will address poly string longevity, power, and comfort. Lux, Prince, Kirschbaum and others have several new strings that are testing very well so far and due out shortly. Bottom line is that you are doing well with the string you currently use, check out some of the new co-poly string if you want to improve it.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Valjean
01-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Claims for "new but improved" poly/co-poly strings appear every so often and yet none seem to have stood up well enough, have they? See here: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html