PDA

View Full Version : Low Priced Multi

davidahenry
01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey Gang. I am currently putting together my web site for my home stringing business and making some final decisions on string inventory. As far as multi's go, I tested some of the higher-end multi's this past Summer, and Babolat Xcel Power was my favorite with Tecnifibre X-One BiPhase coming in second. Therefore, I plan to carry both of those strings but... At $17 and $15 per set, they are both high priced mutli's. I want to also carry a lower priced multi for customers who don't wish to pay as much.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

DH

Richie Rich
01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
dunlop max comfort, tecnifibre e-matrix, and even though it is a terrible string-wilson sensation-people ask for it so you might want to have it too. they are all cheap and are pretty nice hits, except for sensation which IMO is garbage.

alcap26
01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Head FXP might work.

davidahenry
01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks Richie Rich. I'll check those out. I already have some Sensation on hand - as one of my customers uses it and doesn't want to switch away. I have never really paid much attention to it and didn't know if it was a multi syn gut or a mono syn gut.

Take care.

DH

davidahenry
01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Head FXP might work.

Thank you.

Valjean
01-11-2009, 06:52 PM
You could stay with Babolat. Its recently-released Addiction is a nice blend of comfort, moderate power, good control and some durability--it plays like a more comfortable but updated Reaction. And its Attraction (16 gauge)/Attraction Power (17) offer a bit firmer hit. Power and comfort together can still be found in the venerable Fibertour, only available now in the 16 gauge issue.

davidahenry
01-11-2009, 06:58 PM
You could stay with Babolat. Its recently-released Addiction is a nice blend of comfort, moderate power, good control and some durability--it plays like a more comfortable but updated Reaction.

Yeah -good reco. I was in a local shop a couple of weeks ago, and the owner, who I respect for his knowledge of string, was speaking highly of Addiction. He was stringing up a full job of it, and he had me feel how soft it was. I just forgot about it until you mentioned it. Thanks.

DH

MagPro
01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Maxim Touch is my favorite multi.

diredesire
01-11-2009, 09:29 PM
I personally think that if you are going to start a small stringing business, people will tend to be wary of your services. Buy and sell brand names to develop a good image of your shop. I find that many people shy away from "off brands" (no offense to anyone out there, I like them, too!) like pro-supex and even topspin (to some extent). Most of my tennis-savvy pals will string up the cyberflash or something similar, but others know the big few names when it comes to strings: Babolat, Wilson, Prince.

Even though Sensation isn't that great of a string, lots of people play with it. Trust me when I say that most of your clients (via word of mouth) will only recognize brand and know the tension they "want."

Once you develop a solid client base, start stocking the off brands and explain the benefits. Give them a discount or something to try it. "If you don't like this as much as your "XXXXXX" string, I'll give you a XX% discount on your next job" (or whatever).

Head FXP is alright (I like the 17g much better than the 16g), Sensation, and E-matrix are all possibilities. E-matrix is very, very, very, very similar to sensation (It used to be more or less the same thing, now the QC is lower, and it is less durable, IMO). You might even stock sensation supreme which TW seems to always have on sale...

MarrratSafin
01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Dunlop max comfort, Prince synthetic gut multi or premiere w/softflex, Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

fin-tennis(h)
01-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Wilson rackets usually are prestrung with Wilson Sensation 16 in Europe. That's why many customers want to stick with that. I don't know about the U.S. though. But that's a cheap string by a well known brand so vote for that.

ryangoring
01-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Tecnifibre Multifeel, Gosen Super Tek, just to add to the list.
I do second the reaction, addiction and attraction too.

Bud
01-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Dunlop max comfort, Prince synthetic gut multi or premiere w/softflex, Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

Agreed - PSGMF (cheap and good)

rasajadad
01-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Another vote for PSGM.

davidahenry
01-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I personally think that if you are going to start a small stringing business, people will tend to be wary of your services. Buy and sell brand names to develop a good image of your shop. I find that many people shy away from "off brands" (no offense to anyone out there, I like them, too!) like pro-supex and even topspin (to some extent). Most of my tennis-savvy pals will string up the cyberflash or something similar, but others know the big few names when it comes to strings: Babolat, Wilson, Prince.

Even though Sensation isn't that great of a string, lots of people play with it. Trust me when I say that most of your clients (via word of mouth) will only recognize brand and know the tension they "want."

Once you develop a solid client base, start stocking the off brands and explain the benefits. Give them a discount or something to try it. "If you don't like this as much as your "XXXXXX" string, I'll give you a XX% discount on your next job" (or whatever).

Head FXP is alright (I like the 17g much better than the 16g), Sensation, and E-matrix are all possibilities. E-matrix is very, very, very, very similar to sensation (It used to be more or less the same thing, now the QC is lower, and it is less durable, IMO). You might even stock sensation supreme which TW seems to always have on sale...

Thanks DireDesire - good stuff.

I hear you loud and clear about the brand names and plan to stock Babolat, Wilson, and Prince mainly.

Take care.

DH

diredesire
01-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks DireDesire - good stuff.

I hear you loud and clear about the brand names and plan to stock Babolat, Wilson, and Prince mainly.

Take care.

DH

Yeah, it's kind of unfortunate, but the big 3 (in racquets AND string) do a good job with their marketing. Most tennis players aren't going to be as "informed" with their decisions as we TTW folk, so any people servicing equipment, etc have to play the game ;)