PDA

View Full Version : Does posture affect your tennis? If yes, how?

Failed
01-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Does having a good posture help your tennis? If yes, how? What about having a bad posture, can it hurt your tennis?

bet
01-12-2009, 03:09 AM
If you have bad enough posture in everyday life that it weakens muscles and affects your flexibility then yes. This could cause you to have bad posture when playing, even if it makes you have bad posture just due to force of habit, then yes, it will hurt your tennis. You may not even realize it. Great posture when playing, tends to equal great balance which tends to equal consistency and power.

For example, if you hunch over in the shoulders, this usually leads to compensation in the hips and torso. You won't get maximum efficiency out of your body this way. Notice that in almost every sport, posture is emphasized in the highest levels. Almost all great players have had great balanced, upright posture. Russian players in particular have often had exceptionally good posture, (borderline stiff in fact). Balanced body = maximum power and balanced head = maximum consistency/accuracy in general.

But what counts is what happens on court, if you have great posture while playing and you slob around off the court (teenagers! lol ;-) that doesn't matter.

anchorage
01-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Good posture means good balance. Obviously, if you're well balanced, not only will your shots be more effective, you'll also improve movement. So, it's pretty important.

fuzz nation
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Good posture means good balance. Obviously, if you're well balanced, not only will your shots be more effective, you'll also improve movement. So, it's pretty important.

Yep - good balance, which is encouraged through good posture, is essential for good movement. If you get routinely hunched over when you hit, that hurts your ability to get good rotation through your core for good strokes, too. Without that rotational energy, too much of the power in your strokes has to be derived from arming the ball - it leaves the upper and lower half of the body somewhat disconnected.

I took a few months of yoga a couple of winters back and the balance I gained from only a few weeks was substantial. My doubles movement was never more effortless and the stretching that I learned has become a cornerstone of my after-tennis recovery.

NamRanger
01-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Good posture means good balance. Good posture also means a good back. What does that mean? Your back is stronger and healthier, and able to absorb more from the rigors of tennis. I learned this the hard way, since I have pitiful posture.

Morrowreze
01-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes. If you keep good power it is a lot easier to rotate your body and you can rotate it faster when hitting. If you keep good posture it keeps more of your weight towards the center of rotation. It's like figure skaters who will be spinning with their arms out then pull them in and they start going faster.

zacinnc78
01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
*oops duplicate*

zacinnc78
01-16-2009, 02:13 PM
forward-slumped shoulders cause shoulder impingements,shoulder impingements ruin serves and any high shot

jasoncho92
01-16-2009, 04:43 PM
James Blake.

BU-Tennis
01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
You should try and have the best posture possible. Most people lose this when a ball is low and bend the back instead of the leg. Posture also facilitates breathing, makes you feel stronger, and definitely sends the message to your opponent that you're confident.