PDA

View Full Version : Stringing your own racquet?

The_Question
01-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Just want to know how many people here who strings their own racquet. And for those who doesn't, how much do you pay for someone else to do it. Who does it? And how long does it take?

NightBandit
01-12-2009, 08:43 AM
The_Question,

How do I vote for both?

I haven't strung my own racquet yet, but since I just got a new stringer for Christmas, I can hardly wait to break a string. I'd cut my old strings out and string it up anyway, but I also just got two new racquets for Christmas. My new racquets came stung with the string of my choice (excluding gut), so I hate to cut out fresh $20 strings just to use my new stringer. I'll just have to wait until my strings break (and from the way they're moving and fraying, it won't be long).

For the past 15 years (why did I wait so long to get my own stringer?), I've been bringing my racquets to a local tennis shop. If it was a real emergency, they'd string it up while I waited. But typically it was next day service. They charge $20 plus the cost of the string (with a minor increase over their cost).

So I figure that between the $20 labor cost, the $2-$4 string up-charge cost and the $15 in gas to deliver and pick up my racquet (I live out of town in the country), my new stringer will save me $37+ per string job (not to mention the 2 hours drive time to drop off and then pick up my racquets).

NightBandit

themitchmann
01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I've been stringing for myself for over 13 years now. I've been stringing for customers around 12 years. My prices are low in the area, as I charge cost+$1 on strings (the $1 to cover shipping) plus $15 labor.

LeeD
01-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Takes....
Depends what machine you have and how nice a job you want....mostly 1 hour and 10 minutes down to 30 minutes for nylon/poly, a little longer for gut.
Most guys can string competently well after maybe 2-5 stringjobs....at least good enough for high level amateur play.
My stringer at a shop charges me 12-15 for each job, above the cost of strings.
String costs from 2.80 to 35.00 per racket.
If you break strings every week or so, it's an idea to consider stringing your own, especially if you have time and little money.

game set match 46 TIMES!!
01-12-2009, 11:25 AM
i string my own!!! fun string new ones...

mikeler
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Just bought my own stringer last May. I regret that I waited so long! I used to pay $12 labor plus strings at my club. I paid $10 for Prince Pro Blend because it would last a long time. In addition, I used string savers to extend the life of the string. Now I string with $4 synthetic gut which breaks every few matches and I don't care. My game has improved because I'm always using fresh strings. I never have to worry about not having all my rackets available during a match. I also really enjoy stringing my rackets, I could see doing this as a money making hobby when I retire many moons from now. If I'm not drinking beers, I can do it all in 45 minutes.

Nuke
01-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Not really a fair poll. This being the "Strings & Stringing" section of the board, you'd expect most of the people reading this topic to be stringers. It's kind of like asking who likes pizza in a pizzeria.

k_liu
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I string my own racquets bc it's cheaper, takes less time, and i like mix (hybrid) strings.

The_Question
01-12-2009, 11:54 AM
The_Question,
How do I vote for both?

Yeah, I didn't think of that. I don't think I can change the poll now...I suppose of you can string for others and still put down as myself?

Not really a fair poll. This being the "Strings & Stringing" section of the board, you'd expect most of the people reading this topic to be stringers. It's kind of like asking who likes pizza in a pizzeria.

Not really, there are a lot of people here who are knowledgeable with strings, mainly because they've experience with them. However, that doesn't mean they string their own racquets.

Tofi
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I dont string as i'm only 13 and stringers are expensive. i'm hoping to learn how to form my local stringer though.

JSF1
01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Still use an old Prince PM-100 pneumatic stringer. Keeps on ticking!

GPB
01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I string for myself and close friends, for the price of strings only. The good guys in the area do it for string+$10, so there's not much room for me to make much money anyways. Once I start stringing for those that I don't consider my close friends, I'll ask for that same price (string + $10).

goosala
01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes, I string my own racquets and for friends. The machine has paid for itself many times over. It's a fun hobby.

william7gr
01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I just got a new stringer. $25 + strings was just too much

String|Guru
01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I string for myself + about 750-800 other racquets per year! It usually takes me between 15-20 minutes, depending on the strings and the pattern.

scs96ajr
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I have been stringing for the last 4 years. I was going through 1 or 2 strings per week and then my son started breaking, so it was on average 3 times a week. It saved me a fortune then, now I use polys and they last me forever, I mean months so it is no longer an issue.

I charge around 7 (12$) per job + strings for team players, and 10(15$) + strings for others. I do free strings for the junior players and some of the very good ones go through poly and syngut hybrids like mad. So I probably break close to even if i am lucky.

supermario343
01-12-2009, 01:52 PM
def do it myself...i have a ton of string so i can pick and choose what i want and its so much easier....cuts down on the time to get it done too and saves me the hassle