PDA

View Full Version : Best Tennis Magazine

nytennisplayer
02-21-2005, 08:09 PM
What do you think is the best tennis magazine to subscribe to?

adnankujundzic
02-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Japanese tennis magazines are AMAZING. I don't understand a single word inside, yet they blow anything American through the roof. Every one I saw has these step by step pictures of how to hit certain pro's shot. For example, Federer's forehand is shown as a series of 10 - 15 pictures, from start to finish, and below a tennis pro explains, in pictures with arrows and other graphical aids, what is important to do and what not to do when hitting a shot like that. Every magazine I saw has many, many of these in each issue, and some even have posters that have a certain player's every shot in this style (when i was there, the current issue had a poster of Hewitt, showing his forehand (both set and running), backhand (same), and both serves.

American magazines are pure crap, with 50% of the magazine being advertisments, and other 50% being praising of those advertisments.

Deuce
02-21-2005, 10:32 PM
World Tennis.

snowpuppy
02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Ditto, bought a japanese tennis mag myself and amazed at quailty of stuff put into to the magazine. I am really wondering how tennis will survive in the America when our media coverage (all types of media) is so poor. Compare to the frame by frame pictures shown in the japanese mag, american ones just have one or two photos of amatures with really obvious tips on the text. Just total garbage.

splink779
02-22-2005, 06:08 PM
How do you get these Japanese mags?

atatu
02-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Inside Tennis. It's a California publication and therefore a lot of the coverage focuses on the local scene there. However, their coverage of the pro game is superior, I live in Texas but still subscribe to it.

fastdunn
02-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Japanese magazines are extremely good in analyzing strokes with photos and
drawings(Manga style). You can get them from Japanese book stores.
For example, google on "Kinokuniya". I only understnad just a little bit of their
texts but their frame-by-frame analysis is great.
They are $8 - $15 per issue, though.

Baseline Basher
03-03-2005, 07:35 PM
TENNIS magazine is pretty bad. It is advertisements, news on the Pro Tour (mostly who's dating who) and 'Help, I don't know how to pronounce 4hand and I have a match soon make me pro' Q&A sections.

I made that last one up.

Kirko
03-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Deuce you're right World Tennis was quite a read it focused mainly on tournaments eg. results and players kind of like the "gold book" on betting football.