PDA

View Full Version : Shock Dampners - Do they really work

kkr2320
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I know this has been discussed zillion times before , but want to share my findings and experience.

1. Frame Vibration vs String Vibration ?
Understand this first. Racquet Frames don't vibrate on its own unless the vibration from the strings passed to the frame. When the strings make contact with the ball, they vibrate and produce shock waves which then propagated to the Racquet frame and then to your forearm , elbow , upper arm and then finally shoulder.

2.All strings vibrate
No matter how it is advertised , it vibrates. But some may be more and some less.

3. Do you need a dampner, Well it depends on three things ,
1. Type of the Racquet
2. Type of the string and tension
3. Style of play and your level
4. Shoulder and Arm Strength - Very important

We all know these are true . Heavier racquet can absorb more shock , no doubt (Wood is the best- People never needed dampners on those days). Also smaller head size racquet vibrate less. String - Stiffer strings vibrate a lot. Lower tension produces less shock. If you do lot of off-center shots , more shocks are produced and passed to your arm.

Now lets come to 4th point, The more shock you arm and shoulder takes , they become more tired. This is in addition to the regular fatigue. So when they are tired , even a small amount of shock could makes it worse. If the dampner can cut string vibration less 25%, does it make sense to have it on. So only 75% of vibration passed to the racquet frame which is better than 100%.

Now , Do the dampners reduce string vibration ?, yes it does. Take a thin wire and hold it at both the ends streched and tight . Ask somebody to tap it in the middle , you handle would feel the vibration. Now also ask the person to put his finger at close to one of the end , now tap it in the middle. Now What happened to vibration to the hand close to the other persons finger, it gone or less. The person's finger is the Dampner here.

So why the dampners are small and just on between 2 center strings. What good that would do. Think about it. 90% of the shots do get hit on those strings, unless that is the very first time you ever touched a racquet. Thats why those 2 string breaks often.

So do you need a dampner ? If you have week arm and shoulder and set to play lot of tennis and have it on. The Worm type shock busters are better than button type or rubberbands.

Finally , Don't compare you with a Pro. Very Bad. Their practise , prefect strokes and Equipment are so different from mine or yours.

Jonny S&V
01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Nice post, but you need a dampener the size of a shoe to prevent any shock to your arm (Ala tennis elbow). The only thing a dampener actually helps with is getting rid of sound and making your hits feel more solid (it's all mental).

kkr2320
01-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Why does the sound comes in the first place. It is not becuase the string is singing with a microphone when you hit the ball. It is because the string "vibrates" and when there is less vibration , no sound.

Basic physics , Impact to any medium produces sound and shock. When 2 cars collide each other, then based on your theory there should only noice. How come the cars get damage ?

Jonny S&V
01-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Why does the sound comes in the first place. It is not becuase the string is singing with a microphone when you hit the ball. It is because the string "vibrates" and when there is less vibration , no sound.

Basic physics , Impact to any medium produces sound and shock. When 2 cars collide each other, then based on your theory there should only noice. How come the cars get damage ?

Dude, that's just what I know, to get into physics with me is like trying to get a monkey to do calc (although I understand the basics, gravity, motion, etc...). The shock still goes to your arm and you still get tennis elbow (if you're susceptable) dampener or no dampener.

tennisfreak15347
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
the strings will have an annoying pinging vibration without the dampener. some prefer to keep it off to get the full-feel effect, but most will prefer to keep a dampener on to stop the annoying ping sound. The effect of a shock dampener is very minuscule, thus, will have almost NO effect on reducing frame vibration. You would need a very large dampener to have even the slightest effect on frame vibration, and probably you would need one around the whole frame. All in all, the dampener is really only used to change the sound of the ball coming off the strings, nothing more.

Jonny S&V
01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
the strings will have an annoying pinging vibration without the dampener. some prefer to keep it off to get the full-feel effect, but most will prefer to keep a dampener on to stop the annoying ping sound. The effect of a shock dampener is very minuscule, thus, will have almost NO effect on reducing frame vibration. You would need a very large dampener to have even the slightest effect on frame vibration, and probably you would need one around the whole frame. All in all, the dampener is really only used to change the sound of the ball coming off the strings, nothing more.

Thank you, and love the avatar! :)

ag200boy
01-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Dude, that's just what I know, to get into physics with me is like trying to get a monkey to do calc (although I understand the basics, gravity, motion, etc...). The shock still goes to your arm and you still get tennis elbow (if you're susceptable) dampener or no dampener.

dampeners arent meant to prevent tennis elbow, but they DO dampen vibration, i don't care what you say, if i hit the stringbed against my hand without a damp, then i feel vibrations, with a damp, i dont feel nearly as many vibes. simple as that

Nanshiki
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Vibration DAMPERS are all about personal preference.

I used to not play with them, but now I can't play without one. The ping and the feel is just too annoying.

raygo
01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I only use dampeners to get rid of the pinging noise; depending on the string du jour, I don't always need one.

Those things dampen the vibrations of the string, hence the name; the vibrations of the racquet and shock to the arm are a whole different story. Here's an interesting story (maybe old news here) about one person's experience with tennis elbow; he was not aware of the vibrations going to his arm because the racquet effectively damped them: http://www.regentville.com/2008/05/tennis-elbow-and-babolat-racquets.html.

goosala
01-12-2009, 05:41 PM
The string damper is really for sound and feel reasons. To reduce shock you need to adjust string type, tension and racket weight. Remember F=ma. The more mass you have with the racket the more force it requires to move it therefore a massive racket is more stable with less shock. I have tried lighter frames but they all will make my elbow feel it. Anything under 12 ounces strung for me is not comfortable for my arm.

william7gr
01-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Vibration DAMPERS are all about personal preference.

I used to not play with them, but now I can't play without one. The ping and the feel is just too annoying.

Yes, try a couple out they are mostly the same except for a rubber band which I find to be different than the others

Raidenx
01-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Strings don't need to vibrate in order for the frame to vibrate. String vibration or not, forces will be transmitted to the frame which causes deflection of the frame which will cause vibration due to torsional and bending stiffness

Gottabekin
01-13-2009, 06:33 AM
I use it and I think they do wonders!

Jsa2u
01-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Has anyone tried the string damp that claims to stop bot racquet and string vibe? babolat RVS?

http://www.t*nnisplaza.com/Accessories_Shock_Dampeners_SB1-A-BSD_Babolat_R_V_S__3779.html

replace * with e

kkr2320
01-13-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't think Babolat RVS is very effective. I switched to Gamma shockbuster II.

kkr2320
01-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Folks , When a ball hits the strings , both strings and frame vibrates on certain ranges.
Now without string vibration dampening , the frame tends to vibrate more. So string dampners help reduce those string vibrations. This DOES NOT cause TE or affect power or control. For some players, the string dampners just enhances the comfort of the game.

For Frame vibrations ( Which cause TE) , all those things ( heavier racquet , cushion grip ) can be adjusted to reduce them.

stringwalla
01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
"vibration" and "shock" are completely different effects from ball impact.

dampeners do NOTHING to reduce shock. They only absorb string resonance (reduce ping sound) unless they are weighted (but frame weighting is preferable)

to reduce shock effect transferred through the arm you can add weight, lower tension, choose softer strings for your stick.
Anatomical adjustments can also help with T.E. such as increase in grip size and correcting a faulty swing technique

Cruzer
01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Has anyone tried the string damp that claims to stop bot racquet and string vibe? babolat RVS?

http://www.t*nnisplaza.com/Accessories_Shock_Dampeners_SB1-A-BSD_Babolat_R_V_S__3779.html

replace * with e

The Babolat RVS didn't do anything any different than any other dampener I have used. In fact I don't bother with a dampener anymore. As someone wrote above when it comes to the effectiveness of a string dampener it's all mental.

rasajadad
01-15-2009, 06:04 AM

Dampeners do not eliminate sound / vibrations, they change the frequency. Different sound, same vibrations. In other words, they do not work.

certifiedjatt
01-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Dampeners do not eliminate sound / vibrations, they change the frequency. Different sound, same vibrations. In other words, they do not work.

thanks for pointing that out!
i was getting mad at the OP's posts. he's trying to come off as a physics professor and is just sounding sillier and sillier.

vibration dampeners do nothing but alter the sound.

mental midget
01-15-2009, 04:29 PM
a rubber band in your strings makes contact with the ball sound like a wet sponge thrown against a chalkboard. and i can't play without it, completely addicted.