PDA

View Full Version : Making a Tennis / Sports related website... suggestions??

onkystomper
01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
So here is the deal, i am working for a european TV channel and they want me to make a website to do with sport as part of my internship.

So obviously i am going to make one based around tennis as it is my passion.

What i was wondering if you guys could tell me what kind of things you would like to see on a website... obviously it is not going to be a reporting website like a sports page as it is not going to be constantly updated but i was thinking of putting players name a few stats equipment used >>> real equpiment used... maybe some torrents or links to good places i.e these forums (if TW agree to it)

eager to hear any suggestions

Thanks

YULitle
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't know what your experience with making websites is, but you should learn some basic design-taboos to avoid before worrying about content. Just a suggestion.

hollywood9826
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Also, plenty of scantily clad women or perhaps even naked ones will be sure to garner more hits.

Tofi
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
how about some acadmy website links on there and a special place for juniors.

onkystomper
01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't know what your experience with making websites is, but you should learn some basic design-taboos to avoid before worrying about content. Just a suggestion.

Hi yeah sorry i should have stated.... i have made a lot of websites in the past. I did a lot of I.T. work before i moved over to Journalism so it is the ideas of content i am looking for.

onkystomper
01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
hollywood... yes i like it.. we shall see how that pans out

Tofi thanks... that is a great idea i had not thought of. I know a few people who looked for academies and had troubles finding anything out about them.

Tofi
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
If you can you can right down some of the offers for each country. the lta(lawn tennis asociation) is the british equivalent to the USRSA and we have 10% off everything in la manga which i heared is an acadamy. we get to use the courts for free and stuff aswell.maybe the USRSA has an equivalent.

mozzer
01-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Maybe some reviews, current rankings/race positions and latest news with tournament results, sponsorship deals, trainer changes etc?

albino smurf
01-12-2009, 11:04 AM
If it is static, it should be a message board or a game. Otherwise it will be a dated piece of crap in short order.

Tofi
01-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Maybe some reviews, current rankings/race positions and latest news with tournament results, sponsorship deals, trainer changes etc?

maybe a guide to getting the perfect coach.

onkystomper
01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
It is not going to be totally static but i am not going to be updating it more than every 2 weeks or so.

albino smurf
01-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Websites are content driven and an occasional update is death for a site so you should figure out how it can be something that feeds itself like a message board, blog or social site. My 2.

jgn1013
01-13-2009, 10:29 AM
You should try using a CMS type site like joomla, purchase this template.

http://demo.rockettheme.com/?template=sporticus

That way all you have to do is worry about initial setup, & updating content.

nickynu
01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi there I am happy to submit content for you to help keep it updated, I do some writing on tennis as part of a University degree. You could let me know what areas you specifically want articles on and I can provide some for you to see if they will be useful.

Nickynu at hotmail dot co dot uk

Best wishes.

onkystomper
01-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys i have got some really great advice already and am appreciative.

will look into the templates. do you know if you just slot them into something like dreamweaver or if it is a different design tool. cost$$$?

nickynu thanks for the offer.. i wil definitly be in touch in the next week or so am still in planning stages etc but i will be very grateful for any articles.

max
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm in the U.S., and I've always wondered about the heavy-duty clay court season/tournaments in Europe. I understand there are players that simply stick to that circuit.

Stuff on tennis camps/school for juniors would be good, too. I think also something on how a tourist might contact/figure arrangements for visiting the more modest European tourneys. . . I mean, the smaller events can be much more relaxing to take in, and generally less stressful as a visitor.

albino smurf
01-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Travel guide for visiting people interested in playing is a great idea.

onkystomper
01-17-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm in the U.S., and I've always wondered about the heavy-duty clay court season/tournaments in Europe. I understand there are players that simply stick to that circuit.

Stuff on tennis camps/school for juniors would be good, too. I think also something on how a tourist might contact/figure arrangements for visiting the more modest European tourneys. . . I mean, the smaller events can be much more relaxing to take in, and generally less stressful as a visitor.

I really like this idea. It would depend greatly on support from others to help infrom me about clubs in there local area!! I may well try and build something into the website where people can enter their experiences as i have often travelled and had to look for a club and as many will no it is not the easiest thing to do.