PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this fund raiser

xtremerunnerars
01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
As a fundraiser for our tech club, we've come up with what we think to be a good idea:

POKEMON TOURNAMENT

Here's how it'll work
All players will put in their minimum donation (probably 3-5 dollars)

Everyone comes to the location (time and place to be determined)

Our judging panel will ensure that games are cleared (reset)

Players will wait until all of arrived and reset their games to begin.

After the start, players will have twelve hours to play

At the end of the twelve hours, all will put their games down and the seeding process will occur

The red version players will face each other in link cable battles while blue version players will do the same

After the winner of each version has been decided, they will face off for the grand prize.

What do you guys think? We're not really sure how to do the seeding process and are considering doing it randomly. We also have to ensure that people don't do the cheat and clone items/use missingno. Interest has been really high so far and we have over 20 people pretty excited for it.

NickC
01-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I thought Pokemon died out in the 90's?

Either way, give them 24 hours, as in give them the carts one day, and have them show up no later than 24 hours later. No one would want to sit in a room and play Red or Blue version for 12 hours straight. If you were to do that, it'd be easier. Just prohibit trades between newer versions, and prohibit use of the Missingno glitch, which is easily recognizable if used. Why not try that?

For battles, if there's an even # of people, why not do a group-style thing, kind of like how it's done in sports. Everyone writes down their names on a piece of paper, and then puts it into a hat. The judge draws X people from a hat, and each of those people walks up and draws Y number of people, and then repeat the process. Then each person in the group plays everyone in the group, and the person with the highest # of wins in each group go into either 1. a whole new group with all the four winners or 2. face off in a mini-tournament. The winner of that then could play the winner of the other version.

xtremerunnerars
01-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I thought Pokemon died out in the 90's?

Either way, give them 24 hours, as in give them the carts one day, and have them show up no later than 24 hours later. No one would want to sit in a room and play Red or Blue version for 12 hours straight. If you were to do that, it'd be easier. Just prohibit trades between newer versions, and prohibit use of the Missingno glitch, which is easily recognizable if used. Why not try that?

For battles, if there's an even # of people, why not do a group-style thing, kind of like how it's done in sports. Everyone writes down their names on a piece of paper, and then puts it into a hat. The judge draws X people from a hat, and each of those people walks up and draws Y number of people, and then repeat the process. Then each person in the group plays everyone in the group, and the person with the highest # of wins in each group go into either 1. a whole new group with all the four winners or 2. face off in a mini-tournament. The winner of that then could play the winner of the other version.

I like both of your seeding ideas a lot. We had similar ones worked out but I'll be sure to suggest those.

We don't want to add the element of everyone not playing when the other players are around. If we're all in the same room it'll be easier to monitor and will really cut down on the "HE CHEATED" remarks. Plus people have been remarkably excited about playing for all that time.

dave333
01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Seems pretty cool. Maybe throw in another challenge to see who can catch the most pokemon in a given amount of time.

xtremerunnerars
01-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Any thoughts on limiting pokemon?

We're saying no mewtwo or mew so far

TokyopunK
01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
If someone gets all 3 legendary birds they will pwn!!!!

dave333
01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Is this RBY? Then yes, just ban mewtwo and mew.

And only zapdos is the good bird btw. Why do I know this? I'm as confused as you are.

xtremerunnerars
01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
articuno's not bad as a defensive one.

This is probably just going to be RB unless there's a strong push for a Y section.

TokyopunK
01-13-2009, 07:23 PM
If I was in the contest my team would be
Zapdos
Articuno
Snorlax
Dragonite
Charizard
Alakazam