PDA

View Full Version : Best hybrid with VS natural gut 17G

batjoel
01-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi all. I received a set of Babolat VS natural gut 17G from a friend recently. Looking to split it up and hybrid in my Pure Control Team + racquets. I'm a solid 5.0 all-courter, with heavy topspin on the forehand. I've been trying a bunch of different strings lately after having used good old PSGD for years. Looking for a setup that provides nice control and feel, and might actually last 20+ hours. I'm planning to put the gut in the crosses, and would likely use a poly in the mains (although am open to other suggestions) for durability. I have the following strings at home already:

Luxilon Big Banger Original 16
Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18
Luxilon Big Banger TiMO 17L
Luxilon M2 Pro
Babolat Pro Hurricane 17
Wilson NXT 17

I see that Babolat sells a hybrid gut/poly set, but with the Pro Hurricane Tour and not the regular (which is what I have). Is there a big difference between the two when used with gut?

Will a poly inherently ruin the playability of a gut hybrid since the poly will go dead much sooner than the gut will break?

Thanks for any help.

jim e
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I have used it both ways, and my opinion if you put gut in the mains, the strings will hit more like a gut stringbed, and if you put poly in the mains it will hit more like a poly.Just something to think about. Maybe others feel different, as this was my experience.

String|Guru
01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I have used it both ways, and my opinion if you put gut in the mains, the strings will hit more like a gut stringbed, and if you put poly in the mains it will hit more like a poly.Just something to think about. Maybe others feel different, as this was my experience.

I agree with this statement whole heartedly. I have found that ALU Fluoro goes really well w/ VS Team, but out of the ones you have listed... I'd probably go with Hurricane. Don't worry too much about tension loss... You'll go through the VS Team pretty quickly if you are a 5.0 w/ heavy topspin.

batjoel
01-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks. I honestly don't know if I'll want it to play more like gut or a poly. I may try stringing one racquet with gut in the mains and one with it in the crosses. I just thought with gut in the mains that it would break much quicker with a poly cross? Particularly if the poly is textured (e.g., ALU rough) or shaped (MSV hex, PHT)? Anybody have experience with the same strings reversed?

Also, any recommendation on tension differences with a poly/gut hybrid? Do most people string the gut at a higher tension vs. a poly, regardless if it's in the mains or crosses?

christo
01-15-2009, 10:45 PM
keep some string savers in your bag, if the NG starts to fray, pop one in and keep on banging