PDA

View Full Version : Agassi playing Dubai open for the first time!

jonas-the-ball-basher
02-22-2005, 03:21 AM
I thought Agassi would never play tournaments like this outside of the US, especially with the big Indian Wells and Nasdac 100 open tournaments ahead.
But it seems the Dubai open has really grown into one of the biggest tournaments of the year, excluding Grand Slams and the Master Series ones.
So this is another chance for Agassi to beat Federer/Safin etc.

joehight
02-22-2005, 05:12 AM
I thought Agassi would never play tournaments like this outside of the US, especially with the big Indian Wells and Nasdac 100 open tournaments ahead.
But it seems the Dubai open has really grown into one of the biggest tournaments of the year, excluding Grand Slams and the Master Series ones.
So this is another chance for Agassi to beat Federer/Safin etc.

According to a post in the "appearance fees" thread, Agassi got $500,000 in appearance fees just to show up and play the Dubai. Not a bad payday just for showing up. To his credit, Agassi did win his first round match, so he will at least play two matches for the money.

I'm not against appearance fees, just think they should be public knowledge and routinely announced in the press. In most cases I think the competitive athlete will strive to do his/her best, appearance fees or not. But when the going gets tough and you already have your payday in your pocket, it might effect play.