PDA

View Full Version : Novak continues warming up for AO in Sydney!

vmosrafa08
01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.novakdjokovic.rs/img/vesti/slike/135.jpg

Novak will play a few more matches before the Australian Open. This week he's in Sydney, at the Medibank International ATP World Tour 250 tournament, that is played from January 12 to January 17.

The world number three was awarded a wildcard into the tournament after his first round loss to Ernests Gulbis at the Brisbane International last week.

"I usually try to keep the week before any grand slam [free] because I want to prepare and I want to save as much energy as I can. But, as I said, I've had a lack of the matches and I made some major changes, with the racquet for example, so I need to get some more matches under my belt so I can feel comfortable. I decided to play here because of the lack of the matches prior to the Australian Open and I think I need some more official matches so I can get into the rhythm."

This will be his first appearance in Sydney, and he's very excited about it.

"I've heard Sydney is one of the most beautiful cities in the world' - said Djokovic at the press conference.

"I hope I will have some time to visit the city as well, but the priority is to play hopefully a couple of matches and do as best I can."

As a top seed Djokovic has a first round BYE, and will play his second round match on Tuesday against the winner of the match between Andreas Seppi (ITA) and Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA).

Novak's H2H with Mathieu is 2:1 and he won all four matches against Seppi.

His possible quarterfinal opponents are Mario Ancic (CRO) and Tommy Robredo (ESP), and in the semifinals he could meet Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA, 3) and Tomas Berdych (CZE, 6). Four-time champion Lleyton Hewitt is in the other half of the draw, as well as David Nalbandian (ARG, 4), Gilles Simon (FRA, 2), Richard Gasquet, Mardy Fish. Novak can't meet them before the finals.

Russian Dmitry Tursunov won the tournament in 2008. The prize money is 484.750 $.

Psyballa
01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
If he's the #1 seed, how/why does he also need a wildcard?

moonbat
01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
If he's the #1 seed, how/why does he also need a wildcard?

Because he was a late entry into the tournament.

Lendl and Federer Fan
01-12-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.novakdjokovic.rs/img/vesti/slike/135.jpg

Djokovic should shave his head. I don't see how he would able to defend his title with that long hair, girly green outfit, and that new Head racquet of his. :twisted::wink:

MarrratSafin
01-13-2009, 01:48 AM
The Nole is COOL.:) I don't really like him before but he's rapidly becoming one of my favourite players.

Leublu tennis
01-13-2009, 04:55 AM
The Nole is COOL.:) I don't really like him before but he's rapidly becoming one of my favourite players.
Yup, mine too.

Telepatic
01-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Mnjah..Hes ok, just get rid of that green crap Nole! Annoys me like hell! grr

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
oh my gosh look at that shirt. what a playa!

Rhino
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Good news for Sydney and the tournament!