PDA

View Full Version : Who would win the 100m sprint?

musicalmedic81
01-12-2009, 07:51 PM
First, choose who you think would win in a 100 meter sprint foot race, then reply and place the other players in order you think they would finish.

My pick is

1st- James Blake
2nd-Bjorn Phau (dude seriously has some wheels)
3rd-Bjorn Borg
4th-Hewitt
5th Federer
6th Nadal
7th Monfils
8th Agassi

ChrisCrocker
01-12-2009, 07:58 PM
michael chang would come from nowhere and beat them

Beasty54
01-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Monfils for obvious reasons.

musicalmedic81
01-12-2009, 08:00 PM
michael chang would come from nowhere and beat them

Ahh crap I shoulda put Chang on there too.

musicalmedic81
01-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Monfils for obvious reasons.

Think so? But sliding across the finish line would almost be impossible in track shoes :)

tacou
01-12-2009, 08:07 PM
haha.

now this is my kinda thread. too tired to think right now but I'll be back in the a.m,

veroniquem
01-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Not Nadal for sure. He's always said that outside of tennis he doesn't like running and he's bad at it. I would say prime Borg maybe.

edmondsm
01-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Agassi at any age couldn't outrun my grandmother.

edmondsm
01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Not Nadal for sure. He's always said that outside of tennis he doesn't like running and he's bad at it. I would say prime Borg maybe.

Wasn't he a soccer player?

veroniquem
01-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Wasn't he a soccer player?
Yes but he said he doesn't like running for running. I'm just repeating what he said. Personally, I would think he could be good at it.

Nadal_Freak
01-12-2009, 08:17 PM
I would have to go with Borg.

JeMar
01-12-2009, 08:21 PM
I remember McEnroe mentioning once that Borg beat an Olympic class athlete in the 100 yard dash.

Steffi Graf was also about as fast as national-level track athletes during her time.

edmondsm
01-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Yes but he said he doesn't like running for running. I'm just repeating what he said. Personally, I would think he could be good at it.

Well I'm with him. I freaking hate just "going for a run".

edmondsm
01-12-2009, 08:28 PM
I remember McEnroe mentioning once that Borg beat an Olympic class athlete in the 100 yard dash.

There was a thread a while back where this came up, and I believe the conclusion was that he beat a 100m hurdler while he (Borg) sprinted and the other guy had to go over hurdles. Still very impressive, and it probably makes him the "fastest tennis player ever".

10sfreak
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Actually, I believe I'd dust all of them...

MajinX
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
monfils... i mean hes black lol. and hes fast, and his tall/huge enough so extra momentum plus super long legs.

beckham
01-12-2009, 08:34 PM
fed or nadal...you dont have murray...i have heard hes good..does it for training all the time. don't know how fast the oldies were.

JeMar
01-12-2009, 08:46 PM
There was a thread a while back where this came up, and I believe the conclusion was that he beat a 100m hurdler while he (Borg) sprinted and the other guy had to go over hurdles. Still very impressive, and it probably makes him the "fastest tennis player ever".

I see. Thank you for clearing that up.

jeebeesus
01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Definitely not Nalbandian, i saw a footage of him slipping and falling and he wasnt even running fast :)

jeebeesus
01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqe3cBzvlU4

like so

edmondsm
01-12-2009, 09:19 PM

like so

LOL. Notice how when he hits the ground the camera shakes a little. Not a coincidence.:)

jamesblakefan#1
01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I picked Nadal b/c Blake is a choker, lol.
Just so u guys don't think im biased.

jamesblakefan#1
01-12-2009, 09:35 PM

like so

WHY is he training on grass for a HC tourney, lol? Maybe this is why he gets off to such bad starts? By the time Wimbledon comes, he'll just begin training for the French.

persondudething
01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
monfils looks just like usain bolt.
/thread/

jamesblakefan#1
01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
monfils looks just like usain bolt.
/thread/

No he doesn't, isn't Bolt bald? Or do you mean body type?

Bogie
01-12-2009, 11:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-nG3cr9GQ&feature=related

clement is a speedster

KiNG
01-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Monfils? No...he is built to last not to fun. Maybe he can win some marathrons but not this one.

Why isn't Serena on the poll?? Dude shes eXpLoSiVe!!!!!!

ispaht
01-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Nalbandian -- if you put a Big Mac at the finish line.

0d1n
01-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Agassi has no business being in this poll. I would bet my house I can outrun him in the 100 meters early in the morning after a night of heavy drinking (unless I stop and puke on the track @ 70 meters).
He is just about as far away from a natural athlete as any "tennis great" I've ever seen.
Somebody like Sampras is a much better bet for the 100 IMO.
From this poll it would probably be between Borg & Nadal. Not sure how fast Monfils would be, but he would be up there also...maybe on par with Federer and a prime Hewitt.
Guys like Chang and Clement although lightning fast on the tennis court I don't think would have a chance against the bigger guys mentioned previously in the 100 meters. Maybe in the 60 (indoors) they would have a better chance since they probably start faster than anyone else.
100 meters is a looooong distance compared with a tennis court.

MarrratSafin
01-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Rafa for me. Agassi:confused: ermmm...

Big-Serve
01-13-2009, 02:59 AM
björn phau is the fastest...

doctor dennis
01-13-2009, 05:20 AM
I'd vote for Monfils. Didn't Roger Rasheed say he did a timed 100m sprint in his tennis gear in 10+ seconds. I've seen that quoted on these boards somewhere. If thats true, its probably him.

mental midget
01-13-2009, 05:44 AM
borg's speed was legendary, but hitting his stride in a 100m dash, i'm guessing monfils is going to take down anyone else in this poll.

Leublu tennis
01-13-2009, 05:48 AM
Think so? But sliding across the finish line would almost be impossible in track shoes :)
Funny.......

Leublu tennis
01-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Tha Span Meister sez it's my brotha U-Nads and after ma Man Solja Boy Monfs! them be rockin da hoodz with theyr masta speedz cuz you know... they have masta blingness!
What part Spanish are you? 1/8? 1/16? A lot less?

atatu
01-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Agassi has no business being in this poll. I would bet my house I can outrun him in the 100 meters early in the morning after a night of heavy drinking (unless I stop and puke on the track @ 70 meters).
He is just about as far away from a natural athlete as any "tennis great" I've ever seen.
Somebody like Sampras is a much better bet for the 100 IMO.
From this poll it would probably be between Borg & Nadal. Not sure how fast Monfils would be, but he would be up there also...maybe on par with Federer and a prime Hewitt.
Guys like Chang and Clement although lightning fast on the tennis court I don't think would have a chance against the bigger guys mentioned previously in the 100 meters. Maybe in the 60 (indoors) they would have a better chance since they probably start faster than anyone else.
100 meters is a looooong distance compared with a tennis court.

I would have to disagree that he's far from being a natural athlete, for one thing, he has unbelievable vision and hand eye coordination, as in off the charts...not to mention strength.

FiveO
01-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Borg.

Mac’s New Game
Sun, Sep 14, 2008

He’s emerged as one of TV’s best commentators, and he was courtside for the greatest match ever, so who better than John McEnroe to sound off on tennis today? A revealing interview with the Superbrat turned Elder Statesman.

by Touré

Interviewer: But Borg didn’t have the mobility that Nadal does.

McEnroe: Yeah, he [Borg] did. I disagree. He was faster than Nadal. He wasn’t as strong, but you’re talking about a guy [Borg] who ran a 100-yard dash in 9.6. You’re talking about one of the fastest individuals ever on a tennis court.”

Bad poll and an outcome indicating most "voters" didn't see Borg play. And, no, Agassi should not be on it, while Gerulaitis, Sampras and/or Chang should have been.

hammock
01-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Monfils <-> Blake and then ... Tsonga.

The 100m sprint is more about top speed than scuttling around a court.
Very different types of speed when put 'side to side'.

The quickness of Monfils plus his long legs will carry him over the line quite easily. Nadal and prime Agassi wouldn't get a look in. Pete would do better than those two.

veroniquem
01-13-2009, 07:10 AM

The quickness of Monfils plus his long legs will carry him over the line quite easily. Nadal and prime Agassi wouldn't get a look in. Pete would do better than those two.
Sampras is not faster than Nadal or Agassi.

coloskier
01-13-2009, 07:13 AM
u sez im spanish? i aint spanish... i juzt happenz to glorify U-Nads... are you dissin me?

Why not?? With your spelling and grammar you are pretty easy to diss.

madmanfool
01-13-2009, 07:27 AM
I go for Tsonga

PERL
01-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Monfils? No...he is built to last not to fun. Maybe he can win some marathrons but not this one.

Have you ever seen a marathon runner as muscular as Monfils ? Monfils would be perfect for a 400 meters race.
Regarding past players, I’d go with Borg. Pat Cash and Johan Kriek could have done well.

hammock
01-13-2009, 08:03 AM

I think Sampras' speed wasn't up to Agassi's on the court, but over 100m he would win.

0d1n
01-13-2009, 08:04 AM
I would have to disagree that he's far from being a natural athlete, for one thing, he has unbelievable vision and hand eye coordination, as in off the charts...not to mention strength.

What does vision have to do with being athletic?? I'm not referring to being a "natural athlete" as in all the qualities necessary in "skill based" sports such as hand eye coordination. We are not talking about basketball or baseball or tennis, we ARE talking about the 100 meters here ... right ???
Agassi would not hold a candle to Sampras in the 100 meters. He would not hold a candle to ANYBODY ELSE in this poll.
This has nothing to do with his other EXCEPTIONAL qualities, I'm talking about raw athleticism...and if Agassi was a great "raw athlete" then I'm Mahatma Gandhi.
I know he was strong, that's because you can "train" strength to a much greater extent than you can train speed for example.
Being a natural athlete is not about how much you can bench, it's a unique combination of qualities (among which speed and strength DO rank high) that you are mostly born with. You can train these qualities and improve them, but a trained eye can clearly see who was "born to run fast" and who was ...not.
Agassi was ... not.
Hope you see my point.

0d1n
01-13-2009, 08:13 AM
With regards to everybody picking Monfils and Blake, you are only doing that because they are black.
Stereotyping is "not good" even when it's an apparently positive stereotype. Exactly what do you base your picks of "Blake" as the fastest??
Borg's speed and athleticism is known and well documented. He was a freak of nature, with plenty of that "raw athleticism". The fact that he also had the resting heart rate of a "Tour de France" type was just a bonus.
Could you justify your votes for Monfils and ESPECIALLY Blake with something (except ...he's black so he must be quick)???

Bolivian Ace
01-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Monfils, he's got longer legs, he lighter overall more athletic.

atatu
01-13-2009, 08:29 AM
What does vision have to do with being athletic?? I'm not referring to being a "natural athlete" as in all the qualities necessary in "skill based" sports such as hand eye coordination. We are not talking about basketball or baseball or tennis, we ARE talking about the 100 meters here ... right ???
Agassi would not hold a candle to Sampras in the 100 meters. He would not hold a candle to ANYBODY ELSE in this poll.
This has nothing to do with his other EXCEPTIONAL qualities, I'm talking about raw athleticism...and if Agassi was a great "raw athlete" then I'm Mahatma Gandhi.
I know he was strong, that's because you can "train" strength to a much greater extent than you can train speed for example.
Being a natural athlete is not about how much you can bench, it's a unique combination of qualities (among which speed and strength DO rank high) that you are mostly born with. You can train these qualities and improve them, but a trained eye can clearly see who was "born to run fast" and who was ...not.
Agassi was ... not.
Hope you see my point.

Ok, I see your point that he's not a natural athlete for the 100 meters, I must have misunderstood your previous post, I thought you said he was "far away" from being a "natural athlete" - which I took to mean all athletic qualities, such as vision and hand eye coordination.

hammock
01-13-2009, 08:35 AM
With regards to everybody picking Monfils and Blake, you are only doing that because they are black.
Stereotyping is "not good" even when it's an apparently positive stereotype. Exactly what do you base your picks of "Blake" as the fastest??
?

Because he's fast. Has a high straight line speed. Based on... watching him.

What are you fishing for?

heftylefty
01-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Could you justify your votes for Monfils and ESPECIALLY Blake with something (except ...he's black so he must be quick)???

Take a look at a typical Olympic sprinter, then look at Monfils.

PS: The world knows there are fast white guys too.

tennisdad65
01-13-2009, 09:03 AM

cmon... guys of all races can run fast :)

ESP#1
01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Alot of monfils court coverage is based on his wingspan, to say hes built like a sprinter is wrong, sprinters tend to have more muscle mass than monfils, and way larger thighs, this built resembles more nadal than monfils

KwangSunPark
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Monfils he is tall

0d1n
01-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Because he's fast. Has a high straight line speed. Based on... watching him.

What are you fishing for?

Hmmm, let's see. You are a new user, and your first 3 posts are in this thread. The first post mentions 3 guys that are "fastest" in your opinion, 2 of them being in the poll and one of them NOT being in the poll.
Guess what all 3 have in common. I guess if you would have ever heard of a guy called Malivai Washington, he would be picked as your 4th "fastest" guy.
And yet you ask me "what I'm fishing for". It seems to me like you are the one "fishing for something" not me.

Take a look at a typical Olympic sprinter, then look at Monfils.

PS: The world knows there are fast white guys too.
I did. The typical build for a 100 meters sprinter is somebody like Maurice Greene/Donovan Bailey/Ato Boldon.
They look NOTHING like Monfils. They are shorter and/or stockier/more muscular (mass) by far ...especially in the legs. They look more like ... Nadal or Blake or Sampras.
Monfils is built like a basketball player NOT like a sprinter. I'm not denying he may be fast over the 100, it's just that we actually KNOW that somebody like Borg was unusually fast (world class fast), and yet some of us (the fishing guy above) post names that are about as "random" as the "random checks" at the airport. This is all I'm saying, nothing more, nothing less.
Cheers

heftylefty
01-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I did. The typical build for a 100 meters sprinter is somebody like Maurice Greene/Donovan Bailey/Ato Boldon.
They look NOTHING like Monfils. They are shorter and/or stockier/more muscular (mass) by far ...especially in the legs. They look more like ... Nadal or Blake or Sampras.
Monfils is built like a basketball player NOT like a sprinter. I'm not denying he may be fast over the 100, it's just that we actually KNOW that somebody like Borg was unusually fast (world class fast), and yet some of us (the fishing guy above) post names that are about as "random" as the "random checks" at the airport. This is all I'm saying, nothing more, nothing less.
Cheers

Monfils: 6'4" about 177
Michael Johnson: Olympic Gold Medalist include the 4x400 is nearly the same physical build.

Sprinters, like tennis player are becoming taller over time.

vbranis
01-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Michael Russell. That guy has some serious wheels.

veroniquem
01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
I think Sampras' speed wasn't up to Agassi's on the court, but over 100m he would win.
Why is that?

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-13-2009, 05:05 PM
It has to be Roger all the way, nobody else compares.

/sarcasm ;)

Ballinbob
01-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I'd vote for Monfils. Didn't Roger Rasheed say he did a timed 100m sprint in his tennis gear in 10+ seconds. I've seen that quoted on these boards somewhere. If thats true, its probably him.

I heard this too. I think Monflis ran a 10.8-10.9s 100m dash. Monflis is out of this world when it comes to speed. I play like Monflis lol, I have a 11.77s 100m dash and I slide around all over the place. Then my mom yells at me when we have to buy new shoes every 2months haha

fastdunn
01-13-2009, 06:40 PM

This is one of the many misconceptions on sampras.

agassi was never a good runner. sampras was awefully fast runner. his biggest asset outside his serve.

hammock
01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Guess what all 3 have in common. I guess if you would have ever heard of a guy called Malivai Washington, he would be picked as your 4th "fastest" guy.
And yet you ask me "what I'm fishing for". It seems to me like you are the one "fishing for something" not me.

Haven't heard of him. Wouldn't have picked him unless I thought he would be a serious contender for winning a 100m sprint from a list of only tennis players. Maybe he wasn't considered in the poll because he's slow.

It's clear you're fishing for a "I chose them because I can't perceive any deeper than skin tone".

I thought I was playing the 'race' card of different sort - fast runners - not tennis court scuttlers. Maybe we should exclude black tennis players from this list to avoid... 'postive racial stereotyping':???: Would that make you happy?

In summary - It was you who raised the 'race' issue when you detected a 'pattern' and read it as an effort at flaming. I was merely picking who I thought would win a 100m dash and not the socio-politcal ramifications of my choices.

QUOTE=0d1n;3003460]Hmmm, let's see. You are a new user, and your first 3 posts are in this thread. The first post mentions 3 guys that are "fastest" in your opinion, 2 of them being in the poll and one of them NOT being in the poll
Cheers[/QUOTE]

Well, every one's posting life begins somewhere. It's this thread for me, because I followed the 100m sprint very closely for a decade, and felt I had something to add. I'll give you an example -

You mean like Usain Bolt? Carl Lewis? Calvin Smith? Frankie Fredricks?
And did you note that all your examples are... Black men. What to make of this:-? I Kid, I kid.

They look NOTHING like Monfils. They are shorter and/or stockier/more muscular (mass) by far ...especially in the legs.

The question, as far as I understood it, was not who looks like a muscular sprinter but who would win a 100m sprint selected from ATP players. Monfils is my pick.

Why is that?

I think Sampras would have a higher top speed and finish stronger than Agassi.

paulorenzo
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Monfils, he's got longer legs, he lighter overall more athletic.

monfils, he's built like usain bolt. seriously.

oscar_2424
01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Nishikori would beat all these clowns.

miyagi
01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
^^^^ LOL Hammock you are funny kid....keep up the good work....

I would pick Monfils too only because he looks damn quick (how else can we judge?) and I heard some interviewer said he ran 10 flat in trainers or something....which I know is damn quick....

People mentioning maurice green, donovan bailey etc have to realise that if they had ever seen these runners up close (like moi) they do look considerably different and not that similar other than being in good fit physical shape.

Plus alot of how they look (big thighs) is due to the fact that they are training/using that muscle group alot!

Anyway lets not fight over which colour is politically correct to pick other wise we will become like certain tennis players who always say nice things in an effort to fool fans and interviewers of their true thoughts and feelings!

Monfils for olympic 100m Gold in London 2012 ;)

Rickson
01-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Probably Nadal.

Knightmace
01-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Federer would glide though the finishing line. :)

Leelord337
01-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I voted for bjorn borg because it is known that he beat an olympic gold medalist in the 1970s in 100m dash

abmk
01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
agassi faster than sampras ? :shock:

as for the poll, maybe borg or nadal ..

halalula1234
01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
venus williams

ESP#1
01-13-2009, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=hammock;3002118]Monfils <-> Blake and then ... Tsonga.

This guy is def racist, monfils i can understand, blake is pushing it but to have tsonga third is clearly stereotyping

I agree monfils is fast but to me his legs seem way to skinny to be a sprinter

hammock
01-13-2009, 08:23 PM
[quote=hammock;3002118]Monfils <-> Blake and then ... Tsonga.

This guy is def racist, monfils i can understand, blake is pushing it but to have tsonga third is clearly stereotyping

Yawn. Been here.

Leelord337
01-13-2009, 08:31 PM
what about jaarko nieminen, he looks like a runner.

ESP#1
01-13-2009, 09:01 PM
[quote=ESP#1;3004225]

Yawn. Been here.

ok then explain to me how tsonga could beat the likes of nadal, phau, pete sampras etc,and please dont tell me youve seen em move fast around the court the man has never showed any signs of speed

hammock
01-13-2009, 09:26 PM
[quote=hammock;3004266]

ok then explain to me how tsonga could beat the likes of nadal, phau, pete sampras etc,and please dont tell me youve seen em move fast around the court the man has never showed any signs of speed

At last years Australian open, I thought he was a better mover that Nadal when they met in the semis. This year at the Brisbane international he chased down an outrageous drop shot from 2 m behind the opposite side of the court against Gasquet, something Nadal had plenty of opportunities to do last year at the open, but didn't.

The commentators here (Australia) at the moment can't stop talking about his speed. Last year as well, it was something they noted. He's deceptively quick.

He's got good acceleration for a tall man, and his long legs will help with top speed and the last half of a 100m. That's why I though he was worth a mention.

hammock
01-13-2009, 09:46 PM
At last years Australian open, I thought he was a better mover that Nadal when they met in the semis. This year at the Brisbane international he chased down an outrageous drop shot from 2 m behind the opposite side of the court against Gasquet, something Nadal had plenty of opportunities to do last year at the open, but didn't.

The commentators here (Australia) at the moment can't stop talking about his speed. Last year as well, it was something they noted. He's deceptively quick.

He's got good acceleration for a tall man, and his long legs will help with top speed and the last half of a 100m. That's why I though he was worth a mention.

...from 2 m behind baseline on the opposite side of the court against...

World Beater
01-13-2009, 09:55 PM
This is one of the many misconceptions on sampras.

agassi was never a good runner. sampras was awefully fast runner. his biggest asset outside his serve.

agreed.

agassi had very good footwork but he was not the athlete that sampras was.

pete was fast when he was young esp when running to the fh side.

blake and federer are fast. nadal is more explosive. whereas hewitt, chang are quick not explosive.

ESP#1
01-13-2009, 09:55 PM
[quote=ESP#1;3004364]

so youre are saying hes like blake, where hes fast running straight but just not very good side to side movement, that could be true, maybe ive never noticed cause he looks a bit clumsy, ill check it out

hammock
01-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Tsonga does look clumsy, i agree.

ESP#1
01-13-2009, 10:07 PM
So youve seen some of the games in Australia? who looks like they have a chance of gettin far in the open?

Toxicmilk
01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
David Nalbandian.

ESP#1
01-13-2009, 10:14 PM
David Nalbandian.

I wish! no one deserves it more, he so talented its sickening

hammock
01-13-2009, 10:27 PM
So youve seen some of the games in Australia? who looks like they have a chance of gettin far in the open?

Personally, I'd like to see Federer win it (ducks), but there's questions there.

Nadal's early season form has never been what it is mid-year, but he's a good chance to make the final. He is Nadal after all.

I've yet to see Nadal play, but he's lost to Monfils this year (I'm sceptical about Monfils, but he could be this year's Tsonga). Federer waltzed over Moya today at the Kooyong tournament, though that's no real indication.

The Joker, appalling, knocked out first round of the brisbane by Gulbis, but playing much better in Sydney.

It seems that Murray is the in-form top 4 man, and the bookies favourite.

And then, Gulbis (too aggresive, errors will catch up with him), Simon (too... limp in general, despite having beaten federer), Tsonga (too erratic).

The semi's will have four of these players in it. a Federer/Nadal final would be great, a classic rivalry, but the competitions tough.

Toxicmilk
01-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I wish! no one deserves it more, he so talented its sickening

He'd take up the width of the track, thus no one can pass him.

I'm just joking of course though, he's a great player, and not as fat as people like to say.

0d1n
01-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Monfils: 6'4" about 177
Michael Johnson: Olympic Gold Medalist include the 4x400 is nearly the same physical build.

Sprinters, like tennis player are becoming taller over time.

Let's see. Monfils is 1.93 and 80 kg's (ref -> http://www.atpworldtour.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playersearch=monfils )

Michael Johnson is 1.85 meters and 78 kg. (ref -> http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/country=USA/athcode=1308/index.html )

His build is more similar to Sampras/Nadal/Blake/Borg than to Monfils'.
So are many other sprinters (most of them).
If you are searching for a good example of build similar to Monfils I will help you with that one.
Usain Bolt is the "exception" to this rule, he is 1.93 I think, and what an exceptional exception he is ...

Ronny
01-14-2009, 01:18 AM
wtf is federer on there??? hes not fast

0d1n
01-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Haven't heard of him. Wouldn't have picked him unless I thought he would be a serious contender for winning a 100m sprint from a list of only tennis players. Maybe he wasn't considered in the poll because he's slow.

It's clear you're fishing for a "I chose them because I can't perceive any deeper than skin tone".

I thought I was playing the 'race' card of different sort - fast runners - not tennis court scuttlers. Maybe we should exclude black tennis players from this list to avoid... 'postive racial stereotyping':???: Would that make you happy?

In summary - It was you who raised the 'race' issue when you detected a 'pattern' and read it as an effort at flaming. I was merely picking who I thought would win a 100m dash and not the socio-politcal ramifications of my choices.

Well, every one's posting life begins somewhere. It's this thread for me, because I followed the 100m sprint very closely for a decade, and felt I had something to add. I'll give you an example -

You mean like Usain Bolt? Carl Lewis? Calvin Smith? Frankie Fredricks?
And did you note that all your examples are... Black men. What to make of this:-? I Kid, I kid.

The question, as far as I understood it, was not who looks like a muscular sprinter but who would win a 100m sprint selected from ATP players. Monfils is my pick.

I think Sampras would have a higher top speed and finish stronger than Agassi.

I follow athletics (not just the 100 meters) "very closely" as well, it's another passion of mine besides tennis.
I'm well aware that all my examples were black men, as I'm aware they have dominated the sprint lately, which is exactly my point. That is the ONLY reason Blake and Monfils are winning this poll.
Facts don't matter, "perception" does in this case (this poll).
I'm not going to go into a complicated discussion about why mostly black men from the US/Jamaica are dominating the 100 meters, since it's not the subject of this thread and I feel it would be a never ending debate anyway.

hammock
01-14-2009, 01:42 AM
That is the ONLY reason Blake and Monfils are winning this poll.

Yeah, it wouldn't have anything to do with them actually being fast.

EikelBeiter
01-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Borg.

Bad poll and an outcome indicating most "voters" didn't see Borg play. And, no, Agassi should not be on it, while Gerulaitis, Sampras and/or Chang should have been.

Gerulaitis, was he the one who changed his overgrip every changeover?

hammock
01-14-2009, 02:01 AM
I follow athletics (not just the 100 meters) "very closely" as well, it's another passion of mine besides tennis.
I'm well aware that all my examples were black men, as I'm aware they have dominated the sprint lately, which is exactly my point. That is the ONLY reason Blake and Monfils are winning this poll.
Facts don't matter, "perception" does in this case (this poll).
I'm not going to go into a complicated discussion about why mostly black men from the US/Jamaica are dominating the 100 meters, since it's not the subject of this thread and I feel it would be a never ending debate anyway.
Hi Odin.

Just curious, what's complicated about athletes of Caribbean-Africans descent dominating the sprints?

0d1n
01-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Yeah, it wouldn't have anything to do with them actually being fast.

No, it wouldn't. There are no facts to back that up, there's just "perception".
There are people "outside" this internet forum and "inside" the tennis business who say Borg was extremely fast based on DIRECT EXPERIENCE, and yet Borg is behind Blake in this poll. Wonder why ...hmmmm.
I'm done with this subject, there's no point arguing with you who voted for "Tsonga" (who is not even in the OP's poll). I'm not saying he shouldn't be, he CERTAINLY could be there, obviously ahead of guys like Agassi :P.

Hi Odin.

Just curious, what's complicated about athletes of Caribbean-Africans descent dominating the sprints?

I already said I'm not going any deeper into that subject. This is a tennis forum.

hammock
01-14-2009, 02:30 AM
No, it wouldn't. There are no facts to back that up, there's just "perception".

Mate, that's not to say a perception cannot be accurate. I don't see that 'interpretation' (if that's what you mean by 'perception') of reality is, by virture of being an interpretation, necessarily wrong.

There are people "outside" this internet forum and "inside" the tennis business who say Borg was extremely fast based on DIRECT EXPERIENCE, and yet Borg is behind Blake in this poll. Wonder why ...hmmmm.

I'm sure Borg was quick, but I've only got anecdotal references and their 'percpetions'. I don't think they were untrue because they were 'perceptions'. I've heard Borg can do 10 flat for 100 yards, which equates to 11 flat for 100m. Not the sub-11 Rasheed spouts about Monfils (who incidentally, I voted for)

If Borg were around today, he'd have polled higher, I'm sure.

I'm done with this subject, there's no point arguing with you who voted for "Tsonga" (who is not even in the OP's poll). I'm not saying he shouldn't be, he CERTAINLY could be there, obviously ahead of guys like Agassi :P.

Arguing? Perhaps offering up an account of why voting for a tennis player who's fast is not the same thing as voting for a tennis player because they're Black, which you seem fixed on.

I already said I'm not going any deeper into that subject. This is a tennis forum.

It's about as deep as it gets:)

0d1n
01-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Mate, that's not to say a perception cannot be accurate. I don't see that 'interpretation' (if that's what you mean by 'perception') of reality is, by virture of being an interpretation, necessarily wrong.

-> I'll take "interpretation/perception" from McEnroe and others who were THERE when Borg played over "interpretation/perception" from anonymous guys on TW forum <-

I'm sure Borg was quick, but I've only got anecdotal references and their 'percpetions'. I don't think they were untrue because they were 'perceptions'. I've heard Borg can do 10 flat for 100 yards, which equates to 11 flat for 100m. Not the sub-11 Rasheed spouts about Monfils (who incidentally, I voted for)

If Borg were around today, he'd have polled higher, I'm sure.

-> Figures quoted were 9.6 for the 100 yards. I didn't "double check" them just like you don't provide a source for the "Rasheed comments".
Yes, I agree if he would train in today's conditions, with today's nutrition he would be significantly faster. <-

Arguing? Perhaps offering up an account of why voting for a tennis player who's fast is not the same thing as voting for a tennis player because they're Black, which you seem fixed on.

-> I'm not a native English speaker but to my knowledge arguing doesn't necessarily mean getting into some kind of quarrel. I used "argue" as in "make a point", "present reasons for or against a point".
I'm not the one who started being "fixed on it". You were the one who presented 3 names as an answer to this poll, one of which was NOT in the poll. Coincidentally they are all black, but you obviously only mentioned them because they are "fast". And no...Nadal and Borg and others are not "fast" in your definition, which is why you didn't mention them. Right?

It's about as deep as it gets:)

-> Whatever flots your boat <-

See comments above. This is my last answer to one of your posts on this subject. I've presented my argument, and you've presented yours, I think this should be enough.
If you have any tennis knowledge and care to share it in the future, I look forward to discussing and/or debating tennis subjects with you in the future.
Since you never heard of Malivai Washington (a Wimbledon finalist a short 12 years ago...) I won't hold my breath though ...
Cheers.

hammock
01-14-2009, 03:00 AM
I knew you'd bite again, feigning decency, but sliding in a put down.

Like a book you are.

fastdunn
01-14-2009, 08:57 AM
federer is quick but NOT really fast. guys like nadal is both quick and fast. djokovic is also fast and quick...

l_gonzalez
01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't know about Borg cos i never saw him play, or any of the older guys.

In a 100m sprint, out of the current players, i would have to say Monfils.

I'm not racially profiling, it's just the way i see it. He is definitely not the quickest around a tennis court, but in a 100m race, i would say he wins.

I've watched many of his matches and i base my opinion on seeing him sprint from WAY behind the baseline to pick up drop-shots. It's the only time you can really get a sense of a player's true speed, not just his agility.

A lot of a players' precieved speed around a tennis court has to do with anticipation, reaction times, agility, and NOT raw speed. That's why someone like Federer is so quick around a tennis court. He anticipates very well, reacts quickly and is very agile... but in a 100m race, he would get murdered by the likes of Monfils, Phau, etc.

GeorgeLucas
01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=hammock;3002118]Monfils <-> Blake and then ... Tsonga.

I agree monfils is fast but to me his legs seem way to skinny to be a sprinter

But I see a trend often where these tall, lanky guys rock sprints. This is not mentioning Monfils' amazing vertical - have you seen his jumping forehand? He could flippin' dunk from all the way up thurrrrrr :shock::shock::shock:

ESP#1
01-14-2009, 09:38 AM
while i do agree that many people who vote stereotype, i also agree that monfils is one of the fastest players on tour, i think borg gets less votes than blake cause hes not a current player and alot of us havent seen him play

ESP#1
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't know about Borg cos i never saw him play, or any of the older guys.

In a 100m sprint, out of the current players, i would have to say Monfils.

I'm not racially profiling, it's just the way i see it. He is definitely not the quickest around a tennis court, but in a 100m race, i would say he wins.

I've watched many of his matches and i base my opinion on seeing him sprint from WAY behind the baseline to pick up drop-shots. It's the only time you can really get a sense of a player's true speed, not just his agility.

A lot of a players' precieved speed around a tennis court has to do with anticipation, reaction times, agility, and NOT raw speed. That's why someone like Federer is so quick around a tennis court. He anticipates very well, reacts quickly and is very agile... but in a 100m race, he would get murdered by the likes of Monfils, Phau, etc.

Good point

Rickson
01-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Federer is fast on the tennis court, but that doesn't mean he'd win a sprint. 2 different sports.

Leublu tennis
01-14-2009, 10:05 AM
I voted for bjorn borg because it is known that he beat an olympic gold medalist in the 1970s in 100m dash

Thats interesting. It certainly could not have been Borzov ('72 gold) because the Soviet Union is not likely to have him enter a foot race with a tennis player. So it must have been Crawford, '76 winner.

Its not exactly a big deal, but can you back up your claim? Just curious.

FiveO
01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Gerulaitis, was he the one who changed his overgrip every changeover?

Yep. And it was plain old, non self-sticking, Johnson & Johnson, surgical gauze, held on with surgical tape, and as juniors, we all followed his lead.

bladepdb
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Looks like black guys are apparently the favored faster runners, just like in the Olympics.

(Not an insult, just an observation....)

Double_Bagel
05-28-2013, 04:50 AM
If it was over a mile (1.6km), Hewitt all the way. Djoko running second.

m2nk2
05-28-2013, 04:55 AM
Nadal would win a race from the baseline to the service! Any longer distance than that and it's all Monfils.

Tennis Fanatic 070
05-28-2013, 05:22 AM
monfils... i mean hes black lol. and hes fast, and his tall/huge enough so extra momentum plus super long legs.

Yeah, It's a fact that Monfils would win the 100m sprint. Not even debatable.

Double_Bagel
05-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Short sprint, yes. Hewitt all the way for a gut-run 1km or more. He was a very talented Aussie Rules player in his youth. Not to mention the amount of running he does each match, coupled with his never say die attitude. Djokovic could come close...another extraordinarily fit dude.

Nathaniel_Near
05-28-2013, 05:42 AM
Not Nadal or Federer. Maybe Borg, maybe Monfils. I imagine that Phau and Hewitt would be super quick over 40 or 50 metres but than end up decelerating too much.

Nathaniel_Near
05-28-2013, 05:45 AM
I think Sampras would have ran the 100 as fast or faster than Nadal or Federer. He had incredible explosiveness and spring in his legs.

jg153040
05-28-2013, 06:43 AM
I think Murray has to be mentioned here. Just look how he chases those dropshots. He looks very explosive there.

Andres
05-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Bjorn Phau and James Blake are immensely fast in short sprints. Coria was also speedy as hell.

Phau alwas impressed me.

Devilito
05-28-2013, 06:48 AM
Monfils or Blake. Don't ask me how I know

phnx90
05-28-2013, 06:49 AM
I think initially Nadal would lead.

It's really a matter of whether he can retain that lead, which I'm having doubts about.

Warmaster
05-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Nice bump!

From wikipedia:

"Monfils was considered an athletics prodigy at school and won the French under-13 and under-14 100m championships. It was only his love for tennis that stopped him going on to compete at a higher level. His coach is on record as saying that Monfils could have made the Olympic 100m final such was his talent."

I guess that settles it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga%C3%ABl_Monfils#Personal_life

Chanwan
05-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Nice bump!

From wikipedia:

"Monfils was considered an athletics prodigy at school and won the French under-13 and under-14 100m championships. It was only his love for tennis that stopped him going on to compete at a higher level. His coach is on record as saying that Monfils could have made the Olympic 100m final such was his talent."

I guess that settles it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga%C3%ABl_Monfils#Personal_life

it probably does yes - though there's a vast difference between a talented 14 year old and being an Olympic finalist. But obviously, he's very fast indeed.

Andres
05-28-2013, 07:52 AM
No sources?

Warmaster
05-28-2013, 08:02 AM
No sources?

Apparently not, I'll see if I can find anything.

EDIT: couldn't find anything really, just a bunch of sites listing the same achievement. The closest I got to something useful was this:

"His profile is rapidly equalling his athleticism. He can run 100m in under 11 seconds and, according to Rasheed, has a vertical jump to rival that of AFL star Lance Franklin."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/monfils-ups-his-rating/story-e6frfgao-1111118382116