PDA

View Full Version : Approach shot for doubles

tennispal
01-12-2009, 07:59 PM
ok lets say i serve in doubles and stay back. i get a moderate return and i want to attack the net. would i hit a hard forceful shot using pace or angles OR would rally ball suffice for me to get to the net?

eteaGuy
01-12-2009, 08:12 PM
If you get a moderate ball coming at you, take the opportunity everytime and hit a deep shot as you move forward. Remember the key is to put it deep into the opponent's court and with as much pace as you can put on it as you come towards the net. This will either put pressure on the opponents as if they're getting rushed or they'll be forced to return with a week shot that you or your partner can put away quickly.
As far as angle goes, I've had more success with driving the ball down towards the center of the court or directly at the feet of your crosscourt opponent. Extreme angles may also work but be prepared that it may be returned back at you with angle too.

my .02cents

Headshotterer
01-12-2009, 08:17 PM
make sure you get your racket under the ball and hit with spin so that it goes over the net but stays in

i use this and hit as hard as possible and it often goes for winners

tennispal
01-12-2009, 08:20 PM
no the question is this: do you need to "go for it"? or would a rally ball and coming in be enough?

basically, i feel like the quality of the approach does not have to as good as in singles. but exactly how low quality an approach shot is safe to approach on? i hope im making sense.

Headshotterer
01-12-2009, 08:41 PM
rally balls will let the opponent pass you

wihamilton
01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
This depends on the quality of your opponent. Unless you're playing someone with killer passing shots, getting the ball deep and putting pressure on your opponent is a pretty good play. Force them to hit a great shot. Most of the time they won't and you'll be able to do something with the volley.

Steady Eddy
01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
You need more 'touch' than power in this situation. You want to 'dink' the ball at the opponents feet. You want to force them to hit up on the ball, that allows you to spike down on it and win the point. It also gives you enough time to take the net. A hard, high, ball, works well in singles, but in doubles that will just boomerang on you.

fuzz nation
01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
You need more 'touch' than power in this situation. You want to 'dink' the ball at the opponents feet. You want to force them to hit up on the ball, that allows you to spike down on it and win the point. It also gives you enough time to take the net. A hard, high, ball, works well in singles, but in doubles that will just boomerang on you.

Right on Eddy-o-Steady...

Avoid the singles mentality of trying to hit through your opponents. The better they are, the easier it will be for these shots to indeed boomerang when they send back a quick punching volley. I prefer to not exactly dink this approach so much as slice it down on the feet of my opponents. You want to be the team that's hitting down on the other guys in doubles and when they send you low balls, be patient and reply with a low shot of your own while you establish your best positioning. Keep your shots low across the net and force your opponents to hit up, then step up for your free lunch.

It's predictable if you do this all the time, but occasionally you can also take the return and lob it over the net person's head as you move in. This can really get a team scrambling when the returner is trying to get in to the net, but has to slam it in reverse to run down your rainbow. If that returner doesn't move forward after sending back your serve, you only need to hit a reliable rally ball that's crosscourt as well as nice and deep to freeze that player back at the baseline while you go to net.

BU-Tennis
01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Right on Eddy-o-Steady...

Avoid the singles mentality of trying to hit through your opponents. The better they are, the easier it will be for these shots to indeed boomerang when they send back a quick punching volley. I prefer to not exactly dink this approach so much as slice it down on the feet of my opponents. You want to be the team that's hitting down on the other guys in doubles and when they send you low balls, be patient and reply with a low shot of your own while you establish your best positioning. Keep your shots low across the net and force your opponents to hit up, then step up for your free lunch.

It's predictable if you do this all the time, but occasionally you can also take the return and lob it over the net person's head as you move in. This can really get a team scrambling when the returner is trying to get in to the net, but has to slam it in reverse to run down your rainbow. If that returner doesn't move forward after sending back your serve, you only need to hit a reliable rally ball that's crosscourt as well as nice and deep to freeze that player back at the baseline while you go to net.

This is good advice but I think it pertains more to when your opponents are at the net or approaching. A good player, after he hits the return will either come in, which is where you strategy is superb, or stay back. I think the poster is more interested in when the returner is staying back in which hitting deep is key. If the ball has a lot of pace then it is easier for them to simply block back at you and make you have to handle a fast shot. Also, if you hit with an angle you leave the alley open and your partner will have to compensate to cover the down the line shot so you have to cover the middle of the court and also the extreme angle that is no created by your shot. Some of the best advice I ever got from my coach was that when you hit on an angle your opponent can and probably will hit an even better angle.

Just keep your shot nice and deep. Or if the return sits up, try hitting it at the net persons feet but beware if you don't get it low enough your partner probably isn't going to be in optimum position to cut off the angle since he should have been standing close to net as you served.

LeeD
01-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Sound advice from above...
Like to add, besides just a deep approach, you should add a low approach that eludes the netman of the opposition side. Just for variety, and if they pick up on your higher, deeper approach, then you can use the low shorty to hit between the two opposing players.
Those two, with an added dropshot angle, should take care of most situations. And keep in mind, the famous lob approach down the line.

drakulie
01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
ok lets say i serve in doubles and stay back. i get a moderate return and i want to attack the net. would i hit a hard forceful shot using pace or angles OR would rally ball suffice for me to get to the net?

why don't you just do it the old fashioned way?? Serve and Volley.

tennisdad65
01-13-2009, 09:05 AM
why don't you just do it the old fashioned way?? Serve and Volley.

and also consider chip and charge on the service return.. makes for a fun rally when all four are at the net this soon in a point :)

01-13-2009, 02:58 PM
and also consider chip and charge on the service return.. makes for a fun rally when all four are at the net this soon in a point :)

I'm with you. All things equal, chip and charge.

GeorgeLucas
01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Unless you have the obvious killer angle, play the slice. It's much more difficult to get attack, let alone get under, a skidder.