PDA

View Full Version : Popping Sound

JustBeginning
01-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I've always wondered how you guys get that cool popping sound when you guys hit, even when the balls not even getting pounded. How do you do it? =D

strahan918
01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Have a dampener, hit in the sweetspot and drive it through. Swinging casually like that will get you that sound. Some people also think some strings will make a louder sound, but eh, its about the same almost.

adams_1
01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
It's all in the camera :P

BU-Tennis
01-12-2009, 11:04 PM
On tv it really has to do with the mics that they are using which are directed towards the players and amplifies the natural sound incredibly. Watch videos on youtube of people playing indoors it sounds like they are hitting a wall with the racquets when they hit the ball. Also, I think the type of racquet, string, and stroke you use makes the difference. I believe a looser string makes more of a thump and a tighter string makes more of a ping, at least this is what i have found. Also, hitting flat shots makes a louder sound. Watch federer and nadal play, when federer approaches and flattens the ball out it creates a nice crisp and clear sound.

m27
01-12-2009, 11:44 PM
crushing the ball by driving through it properly (with a constant arm structure, as opposed to whipping the racket for max speed like most amateurs do)
poly helps too (partly because it tends to crush the ball more than elastic strings)

origmarm
01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I hit pretty flat and it makes a bigger sound than when I hit with more spin for sure. When I have played with full poly indoors it sounds like a bang, the poly definitely makes a bigger sound than syn. Gut is practically silent in comparison.

Element54
01-13-2009, 06:14 AM
When you record yourself the sound is perceived to be amplified and makes a louder noise. This is most obvious in indoor courts.

Bungalo Bill
01-13-2009, 06:23 AM
I've always wondered how you guys get that cool popping sound when you guys hit, even when the balls not even getting pounded. How do you do it? =D

Have a real fast swing speed and when you time it and hit it in that sweetspot, it "pops".

drakulie
01-13-2009, 06:24 AM
just hit the ball square.

bad_call
01-13-2009, 06:40 AM
or instead of grunting, make a popping sound. just a thought...

orangettecoleman
01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
or instead of grunting, make a popping sound. just a thought...

I wonder if that police academy guy who makes all the noises plays tennis? i'm sure the comedy writes itself there...