PDA

View Full Version : Murray can't drive?

LanceStern
01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
From a yahoo article (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=ApBH6wbKEiDr1VQt30HdBuo4v7YF?slug=ro-murray011209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns):

Such pranks are a staple of Team Murray. Simplicity of life, not extravagant shows of wealth, is key; Murray did buy a Range Rover after a tournament victory last year, but he allows girlfriend Kim Sears to drive it as he is yet to pass his test.

He's 21 ! How else is he supposed to have fun?! Get some licence and tear up the roads as well as the tennis court!

autumn_leaf
01-12-2009, 09:04 PM
hmm wow... i didn't get my license till 18 though so i shouldn't be one to talk.

well i guess he'll just have to have everyone else drive him around. driving really isnt' that much fun.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
01-12-2009, 09:07 PM
He probably can drive, just maybe haven't gotten around to taking the test. I know a lot of people that have passed "the test" and they can't drive for crap.

DJG
01-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey, he obviously has better things to spend his time on - like playing tennis :)

rommil
01-12-2009, 09:43 PM
It may have something to do with their licensing process in the UK. It's a bit different here in the US.

SempreSami
01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Perhaps like me, he can't be arsed to take the test.

Although I should go soon, else I'll have to retake the theory :(

P-Town Tennis
01-12-2009, 10:02 PM
He's probably just been busy traveling around every where for tennis. Even if he did get his license he probably wouldn't be driving much anyway.

flyer
01-13-2009, 08:06 AM
He probably can drive, just maybe haven't gotten around to taking the test. I know a lot of people that have passed "the test" and they can't drive for crap.

haha good point

anyway i think the test in the UK is really hard

babbette
01-13-2009, 08:11 AM

LIKE RAFA NADAL!

tennisdad65
01-13-2009, 08:16 AM
He probably has a chauffeur. :) Why drive when you can sit in the back seat and relax or watch tv or enjoy the scenery or read or play nintendo etc..

Oui, c'est moi.
01-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Perhaps like me, he can't be arsed to take the test.

Although I should go soon, else I'll have to retake the theory :(
You better get a move on. They're making them harder every year.

Fee
01-13-2009, 06:37 PM
He's probably just been busy traveling around every where for tennis. Even if he did get his license he probably wouldn't be driving much anyway.

I agree. For one thing, he lives in London and you can definitely get around there without a car if you live in the right neighborhood and dont mind carrying your groceries home. Second, he's rarely home. He was gone from Dunblane, Scotland for a full year because of tennis. Roddick once joked about this, when he got a new car (or was given one) and they told him about the 500 mile break in period, he said it would take him a year to put that many miles on his car.

tacou
01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
a lot of tennis players don't have their licenses-- when would they have time?

J-man
01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Oh well he is doing fine without driving

Knightmace
01-13-2009, 06:48 PM
he's still a child

Leelord337
01-13-2009, 06:50 PM
From a yahoo article (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=ApBH6wbKEiDr1VQt30HdBuo4v7YF?slug=ro-murray011209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns):

He's 21 ! How else is he supposed to have fun?! Get some licence and tear up the roads as well as the tennis court!

yeah thats very shocking. Tommy Haas Drives a Porsche, Tursunov has a suped up Audi A8, and even Andre Agassi drove lamborghinis as a teenager. maybe he is just so focused on his tennis and not into cars. i had this friend in high school and i would talk to him about cars saying like man, did you hear about the bugatti veyron etc...and he said he'd be happy with a sedan, lammme, :P but everybody's tastes are different.

basiljunk
01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
So i guess the picture in his 'autobiography' from last year with the caption 'my driving licence pic' was a lie, eh?

SempreSami
01-13-2009, 09:48 PM
You better get a move on. They're making them harder every year.

The theory test? I took it when they upped the question count and it was a piece of ****.

origmarm
01-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Given his flat in Wandsworth (very close to where I live) it's really not an issue. You are normally quicker without the car and it's a nightmare to park in London. Better to get a car service if you have the money.

As an aside I put 1200 miles on my car last year and I drove it pretty much every weekend and Monday night. It takes me 35m to go 4 miles to my tennis club on Monday night if that gives you some idea of the traffic. If it wasn't raining I would run or cycle it like I do in the summer.

amarone
01-14-2009, 02:10 AM
haha good point

anyway i think the test in the UK is really hard The pass rate is less than 50%

origmarm
01-14-2009, 02:40 AM
It's true that the test is significantly more difficult. Both my wife and my brother in law (US citizens) who passed in the US had to take the test again in the UK (you cannot transfer the licence and you cannot drive on it after 6m or so). They both failed twice. Both passed in NJ with flying colours first time.

I had to do the same thing in upstate NY in 1997, took the test but didn't know I had to do it until 3hrs before I was booked in. The multiple choice was a joke, got one wrong on BAC I think (limit is different in US). The practical was also laughable. That and the car was an automatic. The parallel parking was the best bit, they make you park in a space that we would get 3 cars in back home in London :).

The only thing I found difficult was the school bus thing, they are very strict on stopping for those and if you don't know, it's a real problem. Fortunately my wife told me about that one. That and turn on red.

Petekbladetour1
01-14-2009, 02:48 AM

did you read this from the ace magazine?

rommil
01-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Given his flat in Wandsworth (very close to where I live) it's really not an issue. You are normally quicker without the car and it's a nightmare to park in London. Better to get a car service if you have the money.

As an aside I put 1200 miles on my car last year and I drove it pretty much every weekend and Monday night. It takes me 35m to go 4 miles to my tennis club on Monday night if that gives you some idea of the traffic. If it wasn't raining I would run or cycle it like I do in the summer.

Also , don' t drivers pay a "congestion charge" if you drive in London?

FedererForehand
01-14-2009, 07:51 AM
If I had his $$$ and resouces, I'd get my self a driver and worry about getting my license when I would actually use it.

origmarm
01-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Also , don' t drivers pay a "congestion charge" if you drive in London?

Only in the centre of London. It's high though at 8 a day.

There was a proposal under Ken Livingstone to increase this to 25 a day for high emission vehicles, basically SUVs etc. So Murray with his Range could get stuck for this. Why anyone needs one of these vehicles though in Central London is beyond me, there are no mountains.

I think this is scrapped under the new mayor though but it might go up to 10.

The other problem in London is parking, 5 an hour is not unusual.

Emelia21
01-14-2009, 08:21 AM
So i guess the picture in his 'autobiography' from last year with the caption 'my driving licence pic' was a lie, eh?

I think it was from his Provisional Licence, you can only learn to drive if you have one and a picture of yourself is needed :)

oneleggedcardinal
01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
It's true that the test is significantly more difficult. Both my wife and my brother in law (US citizens) who passed in the US had to take the test again in the UK (you cannot transfer the licence and you cannot drive on it after 6m or so). They both failed twice. Both passed in NJ with flying colours first time.

I had to do the same thing in upstate NY in 1997, took the test but didn't know I had to do it until 3hrs before I was booked in. The multiple choice was a joke, got one wrong on BAC I think (limit is different in US). The practical was also laughable. That and the car was an automatic. The parallel parking was the best bit, they make you park in a space that we would get 3 cars in back home in London :).

The only thing I found difficult was the school bus thing, they are very strict on stopping for those and if you don't know, it's a real problem. Fortunately my wife told me about that one. That and turn on red.

The test here in Florida is a joke...particularly the driving portion...might as well not have it, I say.

rich01
01-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Given he lived in Spain I doubt he got the chance.

Then there's the congestion... and the fact he has people drive him around anyway.

Frodo Baggins
01-14-2009, 04:31 PM
LOL Must be Hard When your Dating.. sombody else driving you around while your on a date LOL..

Morrissey
01-14-2009, 04:35 PM
At least he can drive Federer insane.

edberg505
01-14-2009, 04:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JRAKq7Aal4

origmarm
01-14-2009, 11:44 PM

Good one :)

ac3111
01-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Murray too concentrated in beating Federer in a grand slam so he does not have much time for anything else. In the UK you have to be at least 21, I think, to get a driving license but I am not sure. Someone living on the Island should know better.

origmarm
01-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Murray too concentrated in beating Federer in a grand slam so he does not have much time for anything else. In the UK you have to be at least 21, I think, to get a driving license but I am not sure. Someone living on the Island should know better.

Its 17. 18 or 21 only apply for larger vehicles (vans, large trucks, trailers etc...).

Link here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

PCXL-Fan
01-15-2009, 01:18 AM

He got a case of the yips, and made a number of unforced errors during the test.

batz
01-15-2009, 01:34 AM

In the UK, you can get a provisional (learners) licence to drive cars on your 17th birthday and can sit your driving tests at any point after that. It is possible to sit and pass the tests on your 17th birthday but it doesn't happen very often. You have to wait until you're 21 and pass another test before you can drive a truck.