PDA

View Full Version : Six months later, me playing some games

Otherside
01-13-2009, 03:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2w72e165Ac

I posted the last video in June, since then I have been focusing on my fysical status which has improved alot. My rest results are actually up there with some top athletes in various sports.
BF % 8, 79 kgs, 178 cm, rest pulse 41 Breathing capacity 6,9 liters, 10 km runnning in 40 min, 130kgs benchpressing
I've been doing quite good in competition recently almost playing like on practice which is my goal right now.
The serve is getting better, hours ofstretching is what I need to get it back to where it once was.
My forehand though ugly is working so great when I train and have time to think of detalis, When it comes to matchplay I tend to go back to the long backswing and armbrushing movement, trunkroation and short backswing is what I need!

Feel free to put tha hammer down on me=)
I am giving tennis my all right now and just wanna get as good as I can get, I'm having so much fun playing again

Peter/
Sweden

mawashi
01-13-2009, 03:55 AM
Overall you are doing pretty well cus you are physically fit and your serves look pretty good however that are some things that don't quite gel.

The size of your split step. It's so high that it looks like a bunny hop. The split step is meant to just get you moving not going up n down.

The next thing from the vids is that you seem to be hitting the balls rather low but that could be the angle of the camera or you are using dead balls.

Regardless, you could benefit by taking the balls earlier but the vid is too one dimensional to see what is happening on the other side of the net and how well you are hitting your shots.

Cheers and keep at it.

mawashi

LeeD
01-13-2009, 09:08 AM
I like your strokes, they remind me of strokes from guys who are strong and muscular.
Nothing wrong with the forehand, lots of pros hit with straight back prep and face down at ready position.
You move well, but tend to take big, long steps. I think if you shorten your steps with less HOP, you would be slightly quicker off the first few steps.
Excellent you practice with players of at least equal ability. Your fetching skills are good, and you cover alley to alley pretty well.
The serve looks mechanical, but that's OK, one JuanIgnacioChela had the most mechanical serve motions, but played fine. I would like to see your racket facing the roof directly over your head on the ready position. It just adds a little more loop and rackethead speed with no extra arm movement.
Also, on the serve, you seem to hit lots of hard spin to your opponent's forehand side, if he's a righty. Moving it around would add lots to your game, and changing the hard slice up once in a while with a flat would help raise your game.
Sorry, I didn't watch the whole vid.

GeorgeLucas
01-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey man, solid strokes. I think that the most obvious problems have been largely addressed thanks to mawashi and LeeD, but I'll just give you my input anyway :p

You're getting to all shots perfectly fine but you can shave some time off your movement by using a smaller split step. Remember, the goal of the split step is to compress your quads so you can explode in the direction of the ball. You takeback is fine - keep it long. I had the opposite problem; my takeback was too abbreviated and I had to consciously lengthen it to get more power. Also, you ought to try to use your body more. Muscles can compensate for some swingspeed, but you aren't getting nearly as much power as you could. Keep your shoulder relaxed.

Ah, the serve. Your trophy position is abit off. I can tell you're making solid contact but your trophy position is neutralizing some of the elements that contribute to a bigger serve. Look at any video of a pro player: as they toss the ball in the air, the tip of the racquet points roughly to the apex of the ball's flight. Tossing the ball and waiting with your racquet pressed to your back cancels the explosive fast twitch muscles in your arm.

This demonstrates my point more clearly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWC1hcKBh4g&feature=related
0:05-0:06... This should be your trophy position. Feel free to replace Federer with any pro of your choosing and the trend remains the same.

Otherside
01-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys! awesome answers!
I'm well aware of the splitsteps, you should have seen me six months ago compared to that this is really good=) Since I've been so heavy for so many years it's not until now I can move like a tennisplayer so I hope the movement becomes more and more natural, I will absolutely try to get rid of the bunnyhops.

When my coach hits balls to me from the hopper I am smacking the forehand on the rise harder than anyone he has ever seen he says so the foundations are there. My confidence is quite low on the forehand when It's matchplay and I tend to get passive and wait for the ball instead of taking it early.

Using my body on the forhand is something I'm trying to do, also to stay calm and swing more relaxed, this is going quite well when I practice forehand cross.

I havent been able to serve since summer cuz of injury. I'm now recovered but I agree that the serve is mechanical. Since I serve so rarely I've lost my routine, I'm having trouble finding a good start to the serve, I feel like I start the serve in a different way each time.
A month ago I hit 3 serves over 125 MPH and 17 aces in 2 sets, everything just worked that match and my body could take going for the serve. We were using wilson trainer balls this day so I didn't flatten the serve, it kills my arm serving with those hard crap balls=)he ready position and the serve is something I'll start working on right away. Next time I'll film from a better angle.
Thank u som much for the advise guys! didn't think the response would be this positive.

Peter

obnoxious2
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Think splitstep more of a toe raise raither than a hop.

LeeD
01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, good thing about being built like a middle linebacker is you can use less flowing motions and still get the spin and pace.
I still see nothing wrong with your forehand, except maybe moderate the pace during matches if you feel insecure or lack the confidence.
I know it can be hard to maintain a smooth swing if you take lots of time off of tennis, like winter (summer for me), so I use swing practice without a ball IN a room like IN the house.
I know some knowledgeable guys say this is hogwash, but it gives me the feeling of a long, smooth controlled service swing when I don't play from
April thru Nov most years.
I don't need the ball, or the timing from the ball, because it's my SWING, not my toss or timing, that gets rusty.
Serve is by far the best part of my game, and a long, smooth, replicable swing is the key for ME.

Otherside
01-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, good thing about being built like a middle linebacker is you can use less flowing motions and still get the spin and pace.
I still see nothing wrong with your forehand, except maybe moderate the pace during matches if you feel insecure or lack the confidence.
I know it can be hard to maintain a smooth swing if you take lots of time off of tennis, like winter (summer for me), so I use swing practice without a ball IN a room like IN the house.
I know some knowledgeable guys say this is hogwash, but it gives me the feeling of a long, smooth controlled service swing when I don't play from
I don't need the ball, or the timing from the ball, because it's my SWING, not my toss or timing, that gets rusty.
Serve is by far the best part of my game, and a long, smooth, replicable swing is the key for ME.

Thanks for the advice. When I run on the treadmill I usually bring my raquet along. If it's not booked In one of the spinning rooms I do 15 minutes of rope jumping followed by footwork with my raquet in front of the mirror. I try to stay low with a wide stance on my toes. It's great practice and I'll ad these things u mentioned in the thread.

My serve is where I need some advice, How should I get a more relaxed start to the serve, on the toss I read that the palm should face the opponent and toss the ball with the thumb is this correct?

GeorgeLucas
01-14-2009, 01:22 PM

I want to clear this up, just for clarity's sake. Muscles are a supplement to your tennis game. A skinny guy with good technique will hit harder than the bodybuilder 100% of the time. So please don't become complacent with your strokes and devote too much time to fitness - you will find that you hit a glass ceiling very, very quickly

Otherside
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
I want to clear this up, just for clarity's sake. Muscles are a supplement to your tennis game. A skinny guy with good technique will hit harder than the bodybuilder 100% of the time. So please don't become complacent with your strokes and devote too much time to fitness - you will find that you hit a glass ceiling very, very quickly

I realise that, my muscles are there for pure cosmetic reasons, I work part time as a model and I do not hit the gym for tennis at all, though I have invented some sweet exercises that can help for tennis that I pratice at the end of the workouts.
The fitness part is what I do best, getting a really good tennis fysique has been my main goal . I now have the stamina and speed to move like a tennisplayer so it's time to put in much more time on the tenniscourt.