PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with Vaidisova?

rallyjunkie
01-13-2009, 04:54 AM
She has been on a horrible slump since Wimbledon. She can't seem to win anymore. So far this year two straight first round losses in straight sets, yesterday to Mara Santangelo 61 61. Last year she beat Jankovic in the AO warmups. Now she is a total non factor losing badly to fair / mediocre players.

She is just 19 or 20. Just a few years ago she won three straight WTA tournaments at 16 or 15. She should be blossoming now into a WTA force but she seems to be regressing. This would be a sad story if she were to burn out and fade away before the age of 22.

Does anyone know? is she playing with injury? What has gone wrong with her game?

MarrratSafin
01-13-2009, 05:01 AM
She has been on a horrible slump since Wimbledon. She can't seem to win anymore. So far this year two straight first round losses in straight sets, yesterday to Mara Santangelo 61 61. Last year she beat Jankovic in the AO warmups. Now she is a total non factor losing badly to fair / mediocre players.

She is just 19 or 20. Just a few years ago she won three straight WTA tournaments at 16 or 15. She should be blossoming now into a WTA force but she seems to be regressing. This would be a sad story if she were to burn out and fade away before the age of 22.

Does anyone know? is she playing with injury? What has gone wrong with her game?

Radek Stepanek.

rallyjunkie
01-13-2009, 05:21 AM
I dont buy that. Stepanek aint a bad guy.

Maybe it was too much pressure on her to win win win. The "Nicole Vaidisova is unstoppable" campaign certainly did her no favors. Like remember Andy Roddick's Mojo? He lost first round to Gilles Muller at US Open from that. Maybe they rushed Vaidisova to get to the top, and sold her out to too many sponsors, a la Capriati. Maybe she is not playing for the love of the game. She is just a teenager not a machine

bad_call
01-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Maybe it was too much pressure on her to win win win. The "Nicole Vaidisova is unstoppable" campaign certainly did her no favors. Like remember Andy Roddick's Mojo? He lost first round to Gilles Muller at US Open from that. Maybe they rushed Vaidisova to get to the top, and sold her out to too many sponsors, a la Capriati. Maybe she is not playing for the love of the game. She is just a teenager not a machine

same speculation here.

Nadal_Freak
01-13-2009, 07:05 AM
My opinion is she is just not training hard enough to be at the top of the game. Pretty simple answer and yeah she probably has more interests outside of tennis now rather then tennis being her life.

oscar_2424
01-13-2009, 07:08 AM

Stepanek ruined her tennis!

tennisgirl90
01-13-2009, 08:39 AM

Good point here. It's amazing she's only 19 years old, because it seems like she's already a lot of years on the tour. She was 14/15 when she started to play WTA-events and won her first title. It was a great achievement and people start to put a lot of pressure on her.

But most of us forgot she was still a very young teenager. Maybe she started to think about what the meaning was of what she achieved and what else she really wanted to do with her life beside playing tennis. She has already been playing tennis for her whole life and she has still a career left from another ten years.

It easy for us to say 'she has to be motivated again' or 'she has to work harder', but maybe she's really tired of tennis right now. That's not a problem you can solve with working harder or fighting more on court. Playing tournament after tournament and lose everywhere very early doesn't make sense. I think she needs a break to regroup again. Hopefully she's not a wasted talent and she can come back.

Nadal_Freak
01-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Losing your passion for tennis is my guess not easy to regain. Who knows if she will ever get back to where she was.

tacou
01-13-2009, 09:25 AM
what's up w/ Hantuchova?

and where's Golovin??

robkat
01-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Stepanek ruined her tennis!

That's not all he has ruined !

boredone3456
01-13-2009, 10:41 AM
what's up w/ Hantuchova?

and where's Golovin??

Hantuchova has always been flighty and erratic. she mad the Aussie Semi's last year, should have made the final there, then she went down the drain. Hantuchova, though i really like her, has always been overated. Sure she pulls off a brilliant run or win now and again, but what player hasn't? The consistancy has never been there so I am really not surprised to see her the slump she is in now...this is the same thing that happened to her after she reached number 5 a few years ago...to much pressure combined with inconsistancy. She was just in the top ten again and has slumped again...seems like everytime she gets there...the pressure gets to her...not to surprising it has happened to a lot of players.

Golovin has been off the tour due to injury, she had to have surgury last may I think on her back and then she had something wrong with her Hip so she hasn't had much playing time. Hopefully she can get back on court because she has some real potential.

Now to Vaidisova. Stepanek is part of the probelm for sure. Whenever you have that kind of relationship that you need to devote time and energy to, something has to give and as a result Vaidisova has let her tennis go because of her whatever you want to call it with him. Saying you don't buy it doesn't mean its not true, relationships take a lot of effort and energy and obviously to some degree Vaidisova has redirected her priorities. Also, After her breakout and French open semi runs, everyone started calling her the next big thing, which for a girl her age is a lot to live up to. At 17 to be labeled the next thing to dominate probably went right to her head and frazzled her. Plus there is the real possibility that she came out as a new face and shocked some people, but once players figured her out she couldn't adapt, and thus she is losing. To me her, Safarova, Schiavone and several others are suffering from the same problem, a one dimensional game that other players have cracked and they are now struggling to find some new groove to get into and its not really working at the moment

eeytennis
01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I think she peaked in her mid teens and will indeed fade away. I think that she is burned out and focused on other things...most if not all top WTA and ATP players sacrifice much of their teen years to become successful...the ones that are OK with it tend to be the really successful ones, but the many others who aren't so successful burn out and are done by their early 20s. It takes a lot more than hard practice to become a successful professional tennis player.

Raiha
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
is there any truth to what gimelstob said about her being a sexpot?

MarrratSafin
01-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Nah it was a joke:) I don't know what's wrong with Nicole but you have a point.

jamesblakefan#1
01-13-2009, 01:35 PM

I don't see that one. Eli Manning was doing those watch commercial before he won the Super Bowl, so...yeah.

christo
01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
She just needs a Bosworth racket

hoosierbr
01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Vaidisova by her own admission has been enjoying her relationship w/Radek and not as focused on the tennis. She needs tunnel vision if she's going to play well again. We all know she's not the most solid player between the ears.

Leublu tennis
01-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Losing your passion for tennis is my guess not easy to regain. Who knows if she will ever get back to where she was.
She gained another passion. What else?

cknobman
01-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Maybe she should do a Playboy spread (like another recent woman on the WTA whos game was declining).

I know Id buy that issue.

MasturB
01-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Radek hasn't been doing the worm for her I guess.

Gorecki
01-14-2009, 01:48 PM
nothings wrong with Nicole (apart from her choice of boyfriends):)

l_gonzalez
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
It's Radek. The poor girl has no energy left to train, let alone play matches. Why do you think Hingis had that positive test for blow? She couldn't keep up with Radek AND play tennis at the same time, so she turned to blow!

acher
01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
just remembered this thread...
first round loss @ aus open... 6-2 6-1... what's wrong with her???? she used to be a QF / SF regular...

jetlee2k
01-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Everytime I saw Nicole I feel sad for her parents.. Try so hard to raise a champion but she left her dream for a much older guy.. she's done for now.. Radek is the man..!! I just don't know how he got Hingis and Nicole.. that's some work..