PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Tension

austex
01-13-2009, 07:45 AM
I am a 3.5 player and use a Babolat Pure Drive...I have been stringing with Wilson NXT at 58....My question is once I have been hitting with it for a while and just before it breaks it feels AWESOME, can hit it hard, good feel, just feels great! After I break a string and play with a newly strung racket, it is HORRIBLE, very stiff, cant serve well, just has no feel....Should I lower the tension or what??? Any help is appreciated...I would like to get the same feel I get before it breaks, all the time....

Max Winther
01-13-2009, 07:49 AM
NXT is not very durable at all. If you want to keep using it, I suggest lowering the tension a little bit to around 55 if 58 is too stiff. Also, make sure your using the 16 gauge, because thats more durable than the 17.

You may want to try experimenting with different strings that fit your playing style and racquet better. A pure drive eats through NXT because NXT isn't really meant for a topspin oriented frame/playing style. I would try some synthetic guts like Gosen OG Sheep Micro, Babolat Superfine Play, Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan, etc.

AndyL
01-13-2009, 06:34 PM
It does sound like you like a softer string bed. Slowly lowering the tension with each restringing should help you find a better sweet spot with regard to higher quality of play and string durability.

austex
01-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the input, it is appreciated....I played last night with a racket, same as mine, strung with Babolat Pro Hurricane, 18 I think....I could tell the tension was way less than mine, and it was awesome....I just couldnt miss...Is it worth trying pro hurricane at a low tension? I know for sure I dont want it at anything above 58...probably 55 would be a good start?

Also, is their a correlation to players hitting with quite a bit of topspin to liking less tension? Seems like with less tension the ball stays on the racket longer, therefore being able to generate more spin and keeping it in play? I seem to hit alot of balls long when my racket is strung higher, regardless of the racket head angle...

big hitter
01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I think that it is the other way around. i might be wrong tho and Im preaty sure if Im wrong people here will corect me.

I noticed that if your tention is low and you have a fast racquet speed, hit hard and play with alot of top spin there is a higher chanse of balls going out as opposed to if you tention is higer.
If the tention is low the ball will sit on the strings longer you will get more power but loose the control. and if you tention is high = more controll less power.

So if you can generate your own power and like to spin the ball and like more of controll string higher, if you need more power from the strings sting lower.

Generall rule of thumb start in the middle that is your tention based on what your racquet recomends and go from there if you need more power, looser string bed string lower if you want tighter string bed less power more control string higher.

Max Winther
01-14-2009, 06:13 PM
I think that it is the other way around. i might be wrong tho and Im preaty sure if Im wrong people here will corect me.

I noticed that if your tention is low and you have a fast racquet speed, hit hard and play with alot of top spin there is a higher chanse of balls going out as opposed to if you tention is higer.
If the tention is low the ball will sit on the strings longer you will get more power but loose the control. and if you tention is high = more controll less power.

So if you can generate your own power and like to spin the ball and like more of controll string higher, if you need more power from the strings sting lower.

Generall rule of thumb start in the middle that is your tention based on what your racquet recomends and go from there if you need more power, looser string bed string lower if you want tighter string bed less power more control string higher.

Yeah that's kind of the idea. The lower the tension, the higher the dwell time, which can increase spin, but also increases power. So the increased spin usually doesn't matter because your ball has too much power and is hard to control and get in. Increased tension decreases dwell time and allows you to take a full cut at the ball. A player shouldn't rely on their strings to supply spin for them.

larry10s
01-16-2009, 03:48 AM
I would like to get the same feel I get before it breaks, all the time.... use natural gut!!!

Bolivian Ace
01-16-2009, 04:56 AM
I would like to get the same feel I get before it breaks, all the time.... use natural gut!!!

Agree. If you're a 3.5 Natural Gut should last quite a bit. It's a soft string and is very good at maintaining tension, so that your string bed will be the same all the time. If just lower your tension with the same string, the string bed will get looser over time any way, and at some point you will not like it. Polys (ProHuricane is a poly) loose tension very fast and at some pont go dead at this point you should change your string or risk an arm injury. Polys are great for top players, but only for a short while (pros chance strings avery few games).

StevenLaurence
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Luxilon or German Fluoro on the crosses does the trick. Works for Fed and Dok.