PDA

View Full Version : msv co focus/ evo

jsomrak
01-13-2009, 11:39 AM
i just strung up my pdrc, at 58lbs with co focus. I have tried focus hex in past, but this is much better. Its soft, very good control, low on power, but better than hex. Spin is easy and comparable to hex. Has anyone tried the EVO string? what did you think. thanks.

Max Winther
01-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I didn't really notice any difference between the Evo and the Focus hex. The Hex had a little bit more spin due to the 1.10mm gauge, and was a little softer. I guess the Evo could have had a bit more tension maintenance, as it felt fresher longer. Overall, not much difference. Both good strings, though.

jsomrak
01-14-2009, 06:53 PM
i really cant tell the difference between focus hex and co focus. they are both very good. So far i like co focus better, but im trying evo tomarrow on my pdr at 56 lbs. well see. maybe they are all the same?

scyzer
01-14-2009, 11:48 PM
I have tried focus hex in past, but this is much better.

i really cant tell the difference between focus hex and co focus. they are both very good.

Okay... what? :-?

jackcrawford
01-15-2009, 07:09 AM
I liked the Focus Hex a lot, great spin, no arm trouble. Co-focus seems nearly identical. Focus Evo, though, I thought was a loser. No spin, string moved like it was PSGD. I strung them all at 51# on a Volkl DNX V1 MP.

Max Winther
01-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, the Hex and the co-focus I believe are the same string. Just the hex is extruded in a hexagonal profile for more spin. Although it doesn't really do anything. I like the hex in the 1.10mm though. I don't think the co-focus comes in that thin of gauge. Thats pretty much the only reason to buy hex instead of co-focus, for me.

Love50
01-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I tried one set of EVO for about a half hour and cut it out... This was a weird string IMO.

It was crisp, comfortable, and had good spin on groundstrokes... if you hit the sweet spot. And if you were taking a swing at the ball. Any shots that were slightly off-center would die. Any shots that used the pace of the ball usually died (e.g. half volley pick-up).

Volleys were horrible. Almost every shot died on the strings. Except drop volleys (but that may just have been by accident...). The only thing that worked were swinging volleys.

I actually liked the string a lot while stringing it (on the easy side) and from the baseline (despite the dead hits). But the volleys killed it for me. I also noticed that the string was already notched at the end of the half hour.

Max Winther
01-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I tried one set of EVO for about a half hour and cut it out... This was a weird string IMO.

It was crisp, comfortable, and had good spin on groundstrokes... if you hit the sweet spot. And if you were taking a swing at the ball. Any shots that were slightly off-center would die. Any shots that used the pace of the ball usually died (e.g. half volley pick-up).

Volleys were horrible. Almost every shot died on the strings. Except drop volleys (but that may just have been by accident...). The only thing that worked were swinging volleys.

I actually liked the string a lot while stringing it (on the easy side) and from the baseline (despite the dead hits). But the volleys killed it for me. I also noticed that the string was already notched at the end of the half hour.

Hmm... Thats odd. I'm wondering if you had a bad set. The only set I've tried of it is a set I got early off of a tennis blog that was reviewing it (can't remember which one). Maybe they changed the formulation or maybe you used the wrong tension for your string/racquet combo.

Love50
01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Hmm... Thats odd. I'm wondering if you had a bad set. The only set I've tried of it is a set I got early off of a tennis blog that was reviewing it (can't remember which one). Maybe they changed the formulation or maybe you used the wrong tension for your string/racquet combo.

My set was bought (not a sample). It's possible I got a dud since this is a new string. As for the tension, I've been stringing all kinds of poly on the same frame for 2.5 years and it didn't feel like it was wildly off. Groundstrokes were fine depthwise if I had time to meet the ball cleanly but the power drops off on any center hits when I'm rushed. In any case, there are many other new strings for me to waste money on so I'm not going to go out of my way to try a 2nd set.. :)