PDA

View Full Version : Are your University/College Courts Open to the public?

tacoben
01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
If not, wouldn't it be a great idea to raise money and support the school's tennis program, by letting people get on through a pay to play agreement? A nomimal fee of say $7.00-$10.00 per person per hour, sounds attractive to people like myself who find it hard getting on lighted public courts in my neck of the woods.

eeytennis
01-13-2009, 02:16 PM
If not, wouldn't it be a great idea to raise money and support the school's tennis program, by letting people get on through a pay to play agreement? A nomimal fee of say $7.00-$10.00 per person per hour, sounds attractive to people like myself who find it hard getting on lighted public courts in my neck of the woods.

That is a great idea! Especially for many Division 3 schools who get almost completely ignored by the AD and athletic department in general. The only problem is, is that there are almost always high schools in the area who offer free courts, and I bet a lot of people would take the few extra minutes to go there instead of paying the court fees.

EPaps
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm pretty sure they're free, but you can't use them when they're reserved for the teams' practices.

jaggy
01-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Varsity courts at Indiana are closed but theres maybe 20 courts scattered around with free play and 3 high schools nearby with maybe 30 more all free.

a-naik.1
01-13-2009, 04:44 PM
i know our outdoor courts are free to the public, and the indoor ones are mainly for students...i believe, but i'm on the team so it doesnt matter for me :)

LeeD
01-13-2009, 05:18 PM
UCBerkeley's Hellman Courts are free for outsiders, but tennis team has priority on the courts.
Nice to hit next court down from the top singles guys and girls of the team.

Okazaki Fragment
01-13-2009, 05:24 PM

If it is a public university, I would be peeved because my tax dollars help build that court to begin with.

tacoben
01-13-2009, 09:10 PM
UCBerkeley's Hellman Courts are free for outsiders, but tennis team has priority on the courts.

LeeD,

Are you sure about that? I live in Berkeley and was told that Hellman and the newly refurbished Channing Courts are not open to the public, but maybe to Alum, students and faculty?

tacoben
01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
If it is a public university, I would be peeved because my tax dollars help build that court to begin with.

I agree with you!

Gemini
01-14-2009, 10:20 AM

Sure but what about the people who don't pay taxes? How do you discern the non-taxpayers from taxpayers?

At Georgia Tech (many years ago), the outdoor courts were free to students, faculty and staff outside of team practice hours. The indoor courts were $10-15$ hour per person for students, faculty, and staff. Now, I think only the outdoor courts are available and the indoor courts are only for team use.

dennistennis
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
I think its great, In Kalamazoo, the biggest tourny for boys 16 and 18's, we can play on there for free 24/7. except when you have to shovel snow!

atatu
01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
No, in Texas none of the University Courts by me are open to the public and I think it's pretty lame. UT has a complex of about 40 intramural courts that they could rent out to the community but they do not. When I went to UC Santa Barbara the courts were always open to the public unless students or the team were using them.

ttbrowne
01-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Very good question? The University of Tulsa has some of the nicest facilities in the nation. NCAA Championship held here last year. But, It's a private university, so I doubt it's available. I'm gonna check though.

autumn_leaf
01-16-2009, 10:24 PM
i go to a state school in MA. pretty sure the courts are free.

i'm going to say no since it's empty most of the time. and we want to attract players in general to the game not just rich people.

jaggy
01-18-2009, 01:30 PM

Do you watch KJ Stewart? I play with his dad!

dennis10is
01-18-2009, 01:53 PM
No, in Texas none of the University Courts by me are open to the public and I think it's pretty lame. UT has a complex of about 40 intramural courts that they could rent out to the community but they do not. When I went to UC Santa Barbara the courts were always open to the public unless students or the team were using them.

Hey you're a Gauchos! The courts have changed from my days.

atatu
01-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Hey you're a Gauchos! The courts have changed from my days.

Yeah, I can't figure out why UCSB can't put together a good tennis team, good academics, great facilities, lots of women, but the tennis team rarely breaks into the top 20...

rasajadad
01-20-2009, 07:22 AM
I live in Amherst, Mass which has three colleges in town. Amherst College courts are open to the public. Hampshire College is open to the public. UMass which is the only public college of the three locks their courts.

!<-_->!
01-21-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the Hellman Courts are not open to the public. Channing is available to the public if you sign up with the RSF and pay to get the access code for the Channing Courts.

JMS
01-21-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty sure the Hellman Courts are not open to the public. Channing is available to the public if you sign up with the RSF and pay to get the access code for the Channing Courts.

So....they aren't free then, are they?

!<-_->!
01-22-2009, 03:17 PM
So....they aren't free then, are they?

Well... there are ways around it. But technically, no they're not free.

Douggo
01-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Our USTA team plays at the U of Minnesota. Not free.

get it in
01-23-2009, 10:31 AM
At UC San Diego, the courts are technically free to anyone. Strictly speaking, you have to be faculty, staff, or student, AND you need to show ID. The reality is that ID is almost never checked.

There are really nice courts on the north side of campus that the team uses. There are also 8 or 9 courts scattered around campus in various conditions. Most of the other courts are used for teaching recreation classes and are in okay condition. You can reserve courts too if have the proper id. That tends to come in handy except for the occasional group that refuses to acknowledge your reservation.

How are the courts at UC San Diego? The team courts are really nice and in great condition. They are cleaned regularly and have water and restrooms nearby. The courts are well lit and very well used when the team is not using it!

Gemini
01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
At UC San Diego, the courts are technically free to anyone. Strictly speaking, you have to be faculty, staff, or student, AND you need to show ID. The reality is that ID is almost never checked.

There are really nice courts on the north side of campus that the team uses. There are also 8 or 9 courts scattered around campus in various conditions. Most of the other courts are used for teaching recreation classes and are in okay condition. You can reserve courts too if have the proper id. That tends to come in handy except for the occasional group that refuses to acknowledge your reservation.

How are the courts at UC San Diego? The team courts are really nice and in great condition. They are cleaned regularly and have water and restrooms nearby. The courts are well lit and very well used when the team is not using it!

If you're student at UC San Diego, even though you don't pay anything at the time you play on the courts, you do pay something in the form of the athletic/recreation fees so you're still paying. The ID is only to confirm that you have are "legally" using the courts.

When you play public parks, you or your parents have paid to play on those courts through tax dollars. So...playing for free is somewhat of myth in lots of cases.

aceroberts13
01-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Auburn University's courts are open to the public for a $3 court fee.

JMS
01-25-2009, 08:47 AM
At Wake Forest I think the outdoor courts are free if you are a student (if the team isn't using them obviously), but the indoor tennis center costs quite a bit of money for a membership.

junbug
01-25-2009, 09:13 AM
i play @ portland state university in portland. OR. the rooftop covered courts are free to students who are currently enrolled and to current members of the alumni association. the outside covered courts are always free. but why would i want to play on the outside courts if it is raining all the time?

netplay
01-25-2009, 12:58 PM
University of Florida has about 22 courts for students that do not play on the team around campus at 3 different locations. The 2 covered courts and UF team courts are off limits unless you are a member of the team.

get it in
01-25-2009, 09:34 PM
If you're student at UC San Diego, even though you don't pay anything at the time you play on the courts, you do pay something in the form of the athletic/recreation fees so you're still paying. The ID is only to confirm that you have are "legally" using the courts.

When you play public parks, you or your parents have paid to play on those courts through tax dollars. So...playing for free is somewhat of myth in lots of cases.

This is true. I get it all depends on if you want to count your counts as 'officially' open to the public. The courts I use are supposed to be open to the public but if you're affiliated with the university, you get first priority. The only times it's hard to get a court are at night after work and in the morning on weekends.

killR4hand
01-27-2009, 12:35 PM
The most expensive court fees I've heard about is at Cal State Long Beach. It costs $15 per hour to use the courts plus $5 for parking. They are charging the public $20 to play just 1 hour of tennis.

MegacedU
01-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Ours are open to the public and it makes me angry when i see GUM flattened on the courts. People are really disrespectful.

junbug
01-27-2009, 03:56 PM
why not just use the local high school courts? they are free and so underutilized.