Jsa2u
01-13-2009, 08:14 PM
anyone on it? :|

GeorgeLucas
01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
What is this some hidden tennis utopia?? :o

Bottle Rocket
01-16-2009, 07:21 AM
There are a whole bunch of guys trying to start up tennis social networks and it seems like this one might be winning out. It is still small though.

The issue I've found with these networks and other tennis websites for people to come togetther socially is that most higher level players don't mess around with them. They seem to have their clubs and partners for life and they don't want to have anything to do with it.

It also seems like most of the players on these websites are lower level playesr, many 3.0'ish, and many that have never even played the game. So far, these are much better sites for social networking than for tennis networking.

goober
01-16-2009, 07:37 AM
After you are established in an area and have a large group of people you know to play with, there doesn't seem to be much point to these social networks.

Bottle Rocket
01-16-2009, 08:36 AM
After you are established in an area and have a large group of people you know to play with, there doesn't seem to be much point to these social networks.

I think finding a large group of people you know to play with is an underrated problem. When you're starting to play, new to an area, looking to get back into playing, whatever, it is extremely difficult to find these groups that you speak of.

We actually started a website here in Kansas City (kctennisplayers.com) for this exact reason and even though traffic of really strong players isn't real high, it has been an incredibly useful tool for many others in the area to find us and find that large group of guys to play with that can be so hard to find. The idea is to bridge the gap between the beginners and the serious USTA tournament players that are 4.0 and 4.5'ish, and considering our lack of resources, it has been successful.

I think that is one thing the tennis social networks lack is a connection to USTA tournaments, leagues, ATP discussion, and things of that sort. The divide between private club players and the guyst that play on public courts isn't a great thing for the game.

kairosntx
01-16-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm on tennisopolis but I'd forgotten about it... thanks for the reminder! I just joined a local tennis group.