PDA

View Full Version : college tennis situation

cphstennis
01-14-2009, 10:05 AM
okay so im a junior in high school and i want to play college tennis (i know d3 or low d2). heres whats going on. i play top 7 on my high school team and were pretty good. i play in a 2 hour program 2 days a week and then work out atleast 3 other days of the week. i am a usta member but i havent had any real experience with it. not many usta tournaments come to my city, i cant drive down state, and parents are cheap. plus, ive been injured this school year with a sprained lower back so i havent had much activity this year. im somewhat finally getting over the sprain. tell me what you think. i might post a video so its easier to get a better idea about my game. what are my chances of playing at decent school or getting recruited?

p.s. a d3 coach told me that their players are usually ranked top 400 nationally and they get d1 offers. (in top 30 d3 mens tennis) true?

CTennis11
01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
The top d3 schools will have some very talented players so I would say that is true.

It is impossible to know how good you are without some tournament results or at the least a video.

tennismom42
01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
The top d3 schools will have some very talented players so I would say that is true.

It is impossible to know how good you are without some tournament results or at the least a video.
Signings are in April, so that would be nice. But don't panic if you can't get it done by then.

D3 doesn't have athletic scholarships, but they take care of you with academic scholarships. Hopefully your grades are good.

Walk-on tryouts might be a very good option for you. Also, it will be important for your scenario to narrow down where you want to go to college, to 4-8 colleges. Find out if any of them have camps this spring/summer. Attend & get familiar with the court & players. Then try out.

Problem is, application deadlines for colleges are TODAY or very soon! So chosing the school you like will be paramount.

maratsafin5
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Signings are in April, so that would be nice. But don't panic if you can't get it done by then.

D3 doesn't have athletic scholarships, but they take care of you with academic scholarships. Hopefully your grades are good.

Walk-on tryouts might be a very good option for you. Also, it will be important for your scenario to narrow down where you want to go to college, to 4-8 colleges. Find out if any of them have camps this spring/summer. Attend & get familiar with the court & players. Then try out.

Problem is, application deadlines for colleges are TODAY or very soon! So chosing the school you like will be paramount.

Are there walk-on tryouts for D1? or is it just D3?

tennismom42
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Are there walk-on tryouts for D1? or is it just D3?
no clue. But I'll ask around.

cphstennis
01-14-2009, 03:43 PM
my grades are pretty good. i got all 90+ in all honors classes. applications due soon? isnt that more for seniors?

cquandt
01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
in D3, all the top schools usually have at least a few players from the top 30 in the region. in my team, we have one guy who was top 10 in the region, and top 25 in the nation for dubs. top D3 teams are solid, but they are all solid pushers. so if you are looking for D3, be ready to push.

cphstennis
01-21-2009, 10:56 AM
in D3, all the top schools usually have at least a few players from the top 30 in the region. in my team, we have one guy who was top 10 in the region, and top 25 in the nation for dubs. top D3 teams are solid, but they are all solid pushers. so if you are looking for D3, be ready to push.

yeah im not happy about the pushing thing. i like playing aggressively, quickly, powerful. thats why i wish i could play d1 but i dont have the usta history or skills

cquandt
01-21-2009, 06:58 PM
im not saying you cant hit winners. at the same time, the top few seeds at my ITA fall tournament this year were big pushers. if you can put forth the effort for fitness enough to hit a few more winners a match, you should be able to play a solid D3 spot from what i have seen in my region. and dont get me wrong, the guys that were the top spots are extremely good pushers. they could definately compete with D1 guys

cphstennis
01-22-2009, 05:56 AM
im in the northwestern pa area. what are some good colleges to look at. i already talked to carnegie and im not going there. case western and allegheny look good

cquandt
01-22-2009, 07:39 PM
well, i go to Salisbury, so i have to be partial to them. we play carnegie at ita's and they are a very solid team. Swarthmore is a great tennis school, as well as solid academics. i would also look, if you are trying to travel a little, to christopher newport. their whole team is good and seems to get along really well, which is actually a big part of it. i wouldnt want to spend two hours a day with kids i dont enjoy spending time with. and, just for good measure, check salisbury university out. i love it there

cphstennis
01-23-2009, 05:29 AM
i like the look of those schools. but a little far away

cquandt
01-23-2009, 07:07 PM
yeah, i guess they would be if you are in north PA. well, those are the only schools that i have been exposed to that i would recommend.

Jim A
01-24-2009, 09:00 AM
go to the school that is the best for your development as a person. If you are playing D2/D3, then its going to be NTRP or Open events going forward.

You can walk-on at nearly any school and try to make a team, of course if you are even with another player and the school is invested in him with some sort of financial aid, then you will be the one cut

sounds like you want to stay in the PA region, look for schools that match your interests, only 20 hours/wk will be tennis (NCAA limit), and when you take your visits, contact the coaches far ahead of time and ask to meet them, you may have a chance to observe a practice, meet the team, etc..I'm not sure if you are allowed to hit with anyone or not with NCAA rules

cphstennis
01-25-2009, 05:25 PM
well i want to do something in the medical field. and plus tennis. that might be a little tough since im not like a genius