PDA

View Full Version : Some match play and hitting to critique!

Moses Man
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Played on 1/8/09 at the Bass-Rudd tennis center in Louisville, KY.

Part 1 here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AlU9mCRbFA

Part 2 and post-match hitting here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sJgTWMNGLU

We had less than an hour on the courts, so we started our set with 2-3 minutes of warm-up under our belts. Consequently, the second half has higher quality tennis, as well some nice rallies during our hitting session.

I'm in the white hat and blue shirt; my opponent is on these boards, but I'm not sure what his user name is. I self-rated and played in--finishing squarely in the middle of--a 4.0 flex league this past fall. I would guess Thomas is around 3.5-4.0, but he has never played in a league...

Neither of us has been coached or taken any lessons, so any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here are some match stats, compiled by me.

DANIEL (white hat, blue shirt)

Serves
Aces 2
Double Faults 6
Service Winners 8
2nd serves 11
1st serve % 63%
Estimated top MPH 92
(12:42, ~16 frames)
Points played on serve 30

Unforced Errors 6
Forced Errors 2
Winners 1

THOMAS (white shirt)

Serves
Aces 0
Double Faults 10
Service Winners 11
2nd serves 21
1st serve % 43%
Estimated top MPH 108
(6:30, ~13.5 frames)
Points played on serve 37

Unforced Errors 11
Forced Errors 6
Winners 2

LeeD
01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for posting....
The vid is kinda dark for my old eyes, so I couldn't make out the results of each shot, or really see the movements of the farcourt player.
But judging from the serves, it appears the stats tell a truthfull story. Even 2 double faults each set is double the # you want. Both gotta practice second serves.
The service motion, while strong and athletic, doesn't look practiced or replicable consistently. Just too many parts moving around in different directions, too many that can go wrong in pressure point conditions.
Remember, even in the professional ranks, the first serve is much faster for 90% of the players, and the second serve goes in EVERY time, although by as much as 30% SLOWER. Good placement allows the server to dictate the point, even with the slow second serve.

Moses Man
01-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the reply, LeeD! That set was a bad one for me, serving-wise. Last Sunday, I completed my first set with no double faults--and, it was a long, hard-fought set. Final score was 7-6 (7-3).

After reaching that milestone, I'm making a conscious effort to go for more on my second serves. In that video, I missed a couple inches wide on a few second serves down the T or out wide.

I guess I'll try to get some better quality video, as not too many of you seem inclined to reply...

BU-Tennis
01-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Your forehand seems to be a little slow. It looks like you're hitting with a straight arm like Federer but its important to transfer all of your energy into the racquet to keep the speed up and allow the spin to keep the ball in play. Most of your balls go long when they are out so racquet head speed is definitely what you need to work on.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, your alright but not hitting necessary spin to keep the ball inside of the court and your second serve needs work but rather then that your fine.