PDA

View Full Version : "cracker" question

max
01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Is it considered a slam or an insult to use the term "cracker" in the South?

I understand this refers to the old, established persons of Celtic origin. I know a scholarly title appeared a number of years ago called Cracker Culture.

10sfreak
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
I think it's meant as an insult, but it's not necessarily taken as an insult...

YULitle
01-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I was under the impression that it just referred to white people...

mhstennis100
01-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I always thought it was the equivalent of the N word, just insulting whites rather than blacks.

Okazaki Fragment
01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I always thought it was the equivalent of the N word, just insulting whites rather than blacks.

Not really. The very fact that you can type 'cracker' means it is not an obscenity. Try typing out the n word and see what happens. Well, actually don't. That's the difference.

crazysoccer00
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I have never seen any of my white friends become insulted when someone called them a cracker

I guess it's not that offensive to them

atatu
01-14-2009, 06:06 PM
I have never seen any of my white friends become insulted when someone called them a cracker

I guess it's not that offensive to them

I believe there is a singer called Uncle cracker ?

xtremerunnerars
01-14-2009, 06:08 PM
It's kid rock's DJ.

10sfreak
01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Not really. The very fact that you can type 'cracker' means it is not an obscenity. Try typing out the n word and see what happens. Well, actually don't. That's the difference.
Well, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not offensive...it just means it's not offensive to the right people. Whites can be insulted in any manner a minority chooses, and that's perfectly ok, but minorities are not to be insulted in any shape, form, or fashion, even if no such insult was intended, 'cause then, the PC Police will come crashing down your door.

WildVolley
01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
It's an insulting term for white people. Sort of the "n" word for white people. It doesn't have much effect as most white people don't know what it means, or really care.

Hot Sauce
01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
It is an insulting term for white people, but I don't think it could ever hold the same amount of power as the "n" word. There's too much history behind the word.

GeorgeLucas
01-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Well there are Cracker Jacks :p

raiden031
01-14-2009, 06:52 PM
The word is a weak insult because I don't think too many whites are offended by the word. I think it sounds kinda funny to call a white person a cracker. The worst way to offend a white person is to accuse them of being inherently racist just for being white.

Nanshiki
01-14-2009, 07:02 PM
It's about as offensive as "honky"

CanadianChic
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
It is an insulting term for white people, but I don't think it could ever hold the same amount of power as the "n" word. There's too much history behind the word.

I agree.

The worst way to offend a white person is to accuse them of being inherently racist just for being white.

Teyko tries this approach all the time but I just look at the source.

Phil
01-14-2009, 07:45 PM
I was under the impression that it just referred to white people...
I thought it referred to white people living in the southern United States.

Steady Eddy
01-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Actually, it refers to while people living in Japan. :shock:

Noveson
01-14-2009, 08:12 PM

That was my impression. I have never really been sure.

ANybody know for sure?

Fearsome Forehand
01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
We crackers tend not to overreact to a mere word the way others chose to do.

Perhaps when crackers are officially declared a minority, we can take violent umbrage with being referred to as such. But, as the present majority, we have not yet gained the right of never ending resentment. Someday.

The PC crowd has taken things way too far. A word is just a word. It is neither a stick, nor a stone.

The use of cracker (or cracka) as a pejorative seems consistent with the common usage of white trash or redneck.
Although, among crackers, the term is often used as a term of greeting or endearment as in Hey, my cracka! Or, as an exclamation, as in Cracka, Please!

Here's the wiki version of the term's etymology: Take it with a grain of salt(ine). ;o)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)

Past President: National Association for the Advancement of Cracker People. ;o)

albino smurf
01-15-2009, 04:06 AM
cracker = honky

max
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I guess my understanding of it is that it's not for ALL white people or all white people in the South, just those of English, especially Celtic/Welsh/Scottish and perhaps Irish, descent living in the South.

I suppose it's best to just set it aside, since it's impacts are undeterminable. I do think it's been employed for scholarly purposes, though.