PDA

View Full Version : The Key Factors of a Good Player

SourStraws
01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
The title says it all...... What do you think the most critical factor is when it comes to forming your game? I personally think it's hard work ethic..... Coaching, money and all that stuff can only take you so far, but I think solid work ethic will allow you to transcend.....

S.S.

SirBlend12
01-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Natural talent and work ethic. You can be broke, play with crap, and maybe can't even afford a coach, but if you have the knowledge, willpower, and drive to train and practice, that's probably what separates good from great.

Frankauc
01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
mental is the most important for me

LeeD
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Match play awareness...

certifiedjatt
01-14-2009, 04:30 PM
it's probably 90 percent talent and 9.9999999999999999999999999 percent work ethic. coaching is the residual.

this is true, i think, for all sports as they generally require intuition. this is the same in other areas too, like finance (see george soros), marketing, journalism, etc etc. everything else, i.e., work ethic and coaching, work on the margin.

oneguy21
01-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Must be talent, right? Any of you, ask yourselves.."If I could have anything from the poll, what would it be?" I'm guessing most of you would choose talent.

A fantastic player who doesn't have great work ethic or mental strength has a chance to succeed. A bad player who has great work ethic and mental strength doesn't have as much a chance.

a_2c+
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
damn...

for what i believe, a good tennis player has the genetics to play tennis. and lots of $$$ too... :-(

wihamilton
01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
1. Work ethic (which comes from passion for the game, which is the most important thing)
2. Coaching
3. Natural talent
4. Money (you could make an argument that $ is more important than natural talent)
5. Equipment (which you can buy if you have money)

ttbrowne
01-14-2009, 06:29 PM
I vote money first.
You got money...you get the coach, the time to practice your game, the means to travel, equipment, buy court time.
All of it.

GeorgeLucas
01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
The title says it all...... What do you think the most critical factor is when it comes to forming your game? I personally think it's hard work ethic..... Coaching, money and all that stuff can only take you so far, but I think solid work ethic will allow you to transcend.....

S.S.

God-given talent...

Spending your whole life on the court wouldn't do you any good if you have the coordination of a blind elephant.

SourStraws
01-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Natural talent wont do anything if you're lazy =/

S.S.

wihamilton
01-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Ask most accomplished coaches and they will tell you passion is #1. The other variables aren't even close.

To play off what SourStraws said, if you work hard and have natural talent you have a chance to be a great player. If you work hard and have no talent you have a chance to be a good player. If you have natural talent but don't work hard you will be mediocre at best.

raiden031
01-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Work ethic and aptitude. The player must be able to absorb what they are being coached on, or be able to self-teach and physically train themselves. There are so many lessons and clinics going on at my clubs yet so many of these players don't advance past 3.5. Obviously there is more to it than someone teaching you how to play the game.

If you aren't a bit of a perfectionist and willing to work hard at the same time, then you will never be good. I think talent separates the good from the great, but you won't be good without hard work.

BU-Tennis
01-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Of course the difference between a pro and a non-pro club level player is going to be talent. But, for me, the reason I am not as good as many on my college team is because they have the money to play at clubs, hire the best coaches, travel to tournaments, they have money so they don't have to work like I do which cuts into tennis time. Also, I think even more important than money is simply a large tennis community. My town has six local tennis courts, 3 of which have been redone in the last 4 years and the other 3 haven't been playable for decades. Also, the college has six outdoor courts which are in need of repair. We only have access to one indoor court, which is carpet that is in 3 large pieces that constantly shift and form gaps with a crappy net. The nearest indoor training facility is over an hour away and during winter months it just isn't possible to make it there that often. And even when I played on my high school team (which is in the same town as my college) there were only a few of us that are worth hitting with and most of them have left for college except one so on the nicest days to go play it is nearly impossible to find anyone who can.

So it all comes down to resources that determines who is going to step up past normal play-for-fun situations. Talent and work ethic decides who will be the greatest, whether it be of the world, your college, the club, or just the local hitting group.

adams_1
01-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Don't underestimate the importance of good coaching.

wilsonplayer
01-15-2009, 02:26 PM
this is analogous of which is more important? intellect or willpower? my vote is willpower, and, in relation to this poll, work ethic. you can have all of the talent in the world and break down mentally in a tough match, or you would rather not practice one day because you're lazy. you could have the touch and feel of roger federer and not refine it in practice. just like you could be as smart as einstein and not use the intellect to a greater good, either for yourself or universally.

Element54
01-15-2009, 02:33 PM
4. Money (you could make an argument that $ is more important than natural talent)

Fantastic point. Sports such as tennis can be seen as a costly one (running costs such as equitment, courts etc) can put off individuals.

More importantly are life-chances. If there are no free courts nearby, or only costly ones your parents/young person would be put off (compared to soccer for example, pick up a ball and play nearly anywhere!).

Personal wealth (family included) together with environment provide those life-chances to nurture and develop tennis abilities.

JavierLW
01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
If you dont practice and dont work hard you wont be a good player, even with talent.

Depending on what you want to define as a good player, some people become lifetime 3.0 and 3.5 players and they are perfectly happy with clobbering everyone at that with athletic skill alone but it's impossible at some level.

wishsong
01-15-2009, 02:49 PM
If you dont practice and dont work hard you wont be a good player, even with talent.

Depending on what you want to define as a good player, some people become lifetime 3.0 and 3.5 players and they are perfectly happy with clobbering everyone at that with athletic skill alone but it's impossible at some level.

I'm a 3.0 player, almost 3.5 and I feel like I really need to get up to 4.0. But I can see what you mean.

yemenmocha
01-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I want to see all of the pro players who did not have lessons as kids, or had very very few lessons.

There are plenty of talentless players who do well.

ronalditop
01-15-2009, 07:08 PM
i think is a mix between natural talent, money, and good equipment.

JavierLW
01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
I want to see all of the pro players who did not have lessons as kids, or had very very few lessons.

There are plenty of talentless players who do well.

I dont think there are any pros nowdays that did not have tennis lessons as kids.

THEY ARE KIDS!!! (17, 18, 19 years old anyway when they start becoming a pro)

I do agree that without talent you can get pretty good, but it takes a lot more hard work.

Some people just pick up things faster then other players. But I think tennis (at a high level) is different then other sports because it's a lot more complicated and even with talent it requires training.

(versus baseball where anyone with awesome hand eye coordination can hit a baseball.)

phoenicks
01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
1. Work ethic (which comes from passion for the game, which is the most important thing)
2. Coaching
3. Natural talent
5. Equipment (which you can buy if you have money)

I 2nd this, ppl who have a passion for tennis and are resourceful, actually will be able source for lots of slow-mo vid or some free coaching vids to help with some technique, and this to me, will take your level of tennis to a new height quicker than other ppl. Furthermore, coaching just accelerates your learning process faster beacuse pf constant feedback from a person who knows the game inside-out.

albino smurf
01-16-2009, 03:57 AM
So it all comes down to resources that determines who is going to step up past normal play-for-fun situations..

I disagree with this. If you are passionate you can find ways to overcome a lack of funds.

Wasn't James Blake a public court player that didn't have a lot of money behind him?

ttbrowne
01-16-2009, 07:55 PM
I think what some of you "passion" & "talent" people are missing is that without money, you can practically forget getting coaching at an early age, playing thru the winter, booking courts, paying for your way to tournaments, equipment, etc.

Captain Tezuka
01-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Talent and work eithic most ppl are not prodigy tennis players in fact only probably 65% maybe even less can be call a tennis prodigy. Most of the pros had to work hard on their strokes ect and then thru luck + other factors they succed in the pro ranks. e.g. Novak Djokovic, Jelena Jankovic, Anna Invanavic and Andy Murray even though in his case getting to within the top 5. Coaching yes definately need some of it to be pro in fact common examples: Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Lleyton Hewitt, Pat Cash, Pete Sampras, Joe-Wilfred Tsonga, Serena/Venus Williams, Jelena Jankovic, Anna Invanovic, Jelena Dokic, The Woodies, Mark Phillippoussis, Casey Dellacqua, Gilles Simon, Marat Safin, Ivan Lendl, John McEnroe, Rod Laver and Micheal Chang.

All these and more practised and I think all of the factors contribute in some way but most of all your work ethic, talent and mental ability you see the pro especially at the clay court events in the clay season and Roland Garros need mental ability gr8 expale would be current World no 1. Raefel Nadal (Esp). :lol:

Mick
01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
i would vote for the "all of the above" choice if it was there.

Morrowreze
01-17-2009, 12:18 AM
I dont think there are any pros nowdays that did not have tennis lessons as kids.

THEY ARE KIDS!!! (17, 18, 19 years old anyway when they start becoming a pro)

I do agree that without talent you can get pretty good, but it takes a lot more hard work.

Some people just pick up things faster then other players. But I think tennis (at a high level) is different then other sports because it's a lot more complicated and even with talent it requires training.

(versus baseball where anyone with awesome hand eye coordination can hit a baseball.)

Have you heard the story about the two Indian fellows who have never even heard of baseball that both just landed contracts after (I believe) less than a year of training? I don't think that would ever happen with tennis. It seems like there is so much more required to succeed.

For the OP's question though, it depends on the level of the player. I would say for a club player talent has less importance than for the pros.