PDA

View Full Version : UIC tennis

king of swing
01-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey guys and gals

Im slated to go to UIC in the fall and I was wondering if anyone goes there or is on the tennis team? I'm deffinetly not going on to there team, maybe if I get amazing over the summer and the coach cant resist :P. I was just wondering basically if anyone had connection there.

~ cheers

tennismom42
01-14-2009, 05:08 PM
I gather that's Irvine, CA?

TokyopunK
01-14-2009, 05:08 PM
I go to UIC...... the roster is all foreigners that are amazing.... norway guys, egypt guys, etc.

Any more questions just ask me...

king of swing
01-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I gather that's Irvine, CA?

no sorry, University of Chicago - Illinois :P we're a wee bit aways from you :D

davey
01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
I think it was the fall of '92 when I took a 1 credit tennis class for the fun of it at UIC. The instructor was also the tennis coach. He had a bit of a tough guy football mentality which took the fun out of the class.

I remember he had to take some time off because he was a line judge at the US Open. He got himself on TV by calling an out ball extra loud an annoying McEnroe even though he won the point.

king of swing
01-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I go to UIC...... the roster is all foreigners that are amazing.... norway guys, egypt guys, etc.

Any more questions just ask me...

interesting about the foreigners... do you play intramural or club or whatever? ... does UIC even have Club tennis? haha I should probably know this.

what are you majoring in if you dont mind me asking. I got into the engineering college and am planning on civil for a major... and do you live on campus? I heard that its pretty nice now... they have a couple new dorms I heard.

I guess do you like it in general? thats pretty much it I guess. I'm pretty set on going there. planning on putting in my intent to enroll the next couple of days. anyway thanks

~cheers

king of swing
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I think it was the fall of '92 when I took a 1 credit tennis class for the fun of it at UIC. The instructor was also the tennis coach. He had a bit of a tough guy football mentality which took the fun out of the class.

I remember he had to take some time off because he was a line judge at the US Open. He got himself on TV by calling an out ball extra loud an annoying McEnroe even though he won the point.

haha. which open, if you remeber I might have it on my comp and get look see.

TokyopunK
01-14-2009, 05:30 PM
interesting about the foreigners... do you play intramural or club or whatever? ... does UIC even have Club tennis? haha I should probably know this.

what are you majoring in if you dont mind me asking. I got into the engineering college and am planning on civil for a major... and do you live on campus? I heard that its pretty nice now... they have a couple new dorms I heard.

I guess do you like it in general? thats pretty much it I guess. I'm pretty set on going there. planning on putting in my intent to enroll the next couple of days. anyway thanks

~cheers

There isn't really intramural/club tennis...... there is just like a month long tournament session that is at night on weekdays... and I commute from the suburbs so I couldn't really do it.

I am a junior in the college of business majoring in Entrepreneurship.

Some dorms are really nice, others are really crappy........ the ones I stayed in for Orientation were horrible.... Commons West.

And unfortunately I hate it there and can't wait to graduate!!!

davey
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
haha. which open, if you remeber I might have it on my comp and get look see.

The 92 open. I think it was in the first week.

brodey147
01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately, as was previously mentioned, UIC doesn't have a club team and the intramurals leave something to be desired (though I have won a few of the champion t-shirts, so I won't complain too much), but such is the plight of a majority commuter school. It is unfortunate that a school with 25,000 students only has eight outdoor tennis courts.

TokyopunK
01-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately, as was previously mentioned, UIC doesn't have a club team and the intramurals leave something to be desired (though I have won a few of the champion t-shirts, so I won't complain too much), but such is the plight of a majority commuter school. It is unfortunate that a school with 25,000 students only has eight outdoor tennis courts.

They just built 3 more next to the main campus so jack that number up to 11!

Fedace
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Are the courts open to the public in the summer ? if so, do you have to pay ?

pandal3oy
01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Are the courts open to the public in the summer ? if so, do you have to pay ?

i always hear people going there to play. i just moved to chicago and it was a bit out of the way but now ill do anything to play tennis! go away snow!! (indoor courts are for rich folks lol)

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-21-2009, 06:24 PM
There isn't really intramural/club tennis...... there is just like a month long tournament session that is at night on weekdays... and I commute from the suburbs so I couldn't really do it.

I am a junior in the college of business majoring in Entrepreneurship.

Some dorms are really nice, others are really crappy........ the ones I stayed in for Orientation were horrible.... Commons West.

And unfortunately I hate it there and can't wait to graduate!!!

T-Punk (like your new nickname?) is the school under that CCC program? The one where basically they'll pay some of your tuition and you get to work part time for UPS? And is it any good? I live near Chicago, so I might go there if I can't get into a state school.

TokyopunK
01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
T-Punk (like your new nickname?) is the school under that CCC program? The one where basically they'll pay some of your tuition and you get to work part time for UPS? And is it any good? I live near Chicago, so I might go there if I can't get into a state school.

1) Never call me T-Punk again.

2) Yes my friend is doing that program where he works at UPS and they pay for him... but he hates it.

3) If you are asking if the school is good...... I would say its horrible, the classes are humongous and every teacher has a thick accent.

4) You can call me T-Punk if you wish.

5) Yo ***** sed.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-21-2009, 06:33 PM
1) Never call me T-Punk again.

2) Yes my friend is doing that program where he works at UPS and they pay for him... but he hates it.

3) If you are asking if the school is good...... I would say its horrible, the classes are humongous and every teacher has a thick accent.

4) You can call me T-Punk if you wish.

5) Yo ***** sed.

Damn, I thought that would catch on :mad: Yes I also read #4
Ok, thanks for the input.

brodey147
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
They just built 3 more next to the main campus so jack that number up to 11!

No, then they'd have nine. Six in their outdoor sports complex, and the new three on Halsted.

TokyopunK
01-22-2009, 01:51 PM
No, then they'd have nine. Six in their outdoor sports complex, and the new three on Halsted.

Well I counted the two in the park on taylor st.... not too far away.

Fedace
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
i always hear people going there to play. i just moved to chicago and it was a bit out of the way but now ill do anything to play tennis! go away snow!! (indoor courts are for rich folks lol)

Mcfetrige tennis center is affordable..

pandal3oy
01-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Mcfetrige tennis center is affordable..

w/o a car its hard to get there :P plus i always hear its booked haha. i guess ill go across the street and hit at the snow covered courts yay!

Ilanchess
01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
i guess ill go across the street and hit at the snow covered courts yay!

I was planning on doing that too. I'm a senior in a suburb of Chicago trying to get ready for tennis season :)

pandal3oy
01-25-2009, 08:10 PM
I was planning on doing that too. I'm a senior in a suburb of Chicago trying to get ready for tennis season :)

i goto winnetka sometimes (which is super far) but the metra takes me there so its not too bad. i know someone at the tennis center there so its not bad but hitting about once a month sucks for me haha.