PDA

View Full Version : putting poly on main or cross, more spin?!?!

dcjaybutchdc
01-14-2009, 09:30 PM
i have read that if you want power and feel of a multi and spin characteristics of a poly, put the multi on the main and poly on the crosses.

this puzzles me. i am sure it works but i was thinking you get more spin if you put a poly on the mains. i think this because when you hit a ball, your racquet is sideways, so the mains(especially the spiky shark blue gear delux 3000 super hex) would be applying a lot of the spin when you brush up and/or follow through. or would the crosses be doing that? iono someone please help me

SchreckTennis
01-14-2009, 11:40 PM
i have read that if you want power and feel of a multi and spin characteristics of a poly, put the multi on the main and poly on the crosses.

this puzzles me. i am sure it works but i was thinking you get more spin if you put a poly on the mains. i think this because when you hit a ball, your racquet is sideways, so the mains(especially the spiky shark blue gear delux 3000 super hex) would be applying a lot of the spin when you brush up and/or follow through. or would the crosses be doing that? iono someone please help me

If you think about it, when you hit a heavy topspin shot, the mains are the only strings that get displaced- so, the mains are the ones that provide most of the spin.

If you want the ultimate spin, I would suggest trying a string that has ridges parrallel to the string (like spiky shark blue gear) as mains because the ridges will be like this == when hitting against the ball. Then, for the crosses use a string with ridges that are somewhat perpendicular or diagonal to the string (such as Gamma Ruff) because while they are in the stringbed, they will be almost parallel with the spiky shark ridges and should (in theory) provide a good amount of spin when striking against the ball.

I should test that sometime :)

dcjaybutchdc
01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
thanks but i am still looking for an answer to my question

dcjaybutchdc
01-15-2009, 03:16 PM
bump(10char)

am22fcw
01-15-2009, 03:22 PM
you're going to have to pick between one or the other. the mains provide about 70% of a hybrid while the crosses are 30%. if you want the spin of a poly, put it in the mains. if you want the power of a multi, put it in the mains.

l_gonzalez
01-16-2009, 06:55 AM
i've tried putting my "spin" strings on mains and crosses, the difference is marginal. I seem to volley better with the soft string on the mains. I'm not knocking textured strings or really thin guage strings which are supposed to give you more spin, that would be hypocritical because i use them, but i believe the difference over normal polys is very, very small.

The best tip i can give you if you want more spin is to work on your technique and racquet head speed.

Zhou
01-16-2009, 07:13 AM
i've tried putting my "spin" strings on mains and crosses, the difference is marginal. I seem to volley better with the soft string on the mains. I'm not knocking textured strings or really thin guage strings which are supposed to give you more spin, that would be hypocritical because i use them, but i believe the difference over normal polys is very, very small.

The best tip i can give you if you want more spin is to work on your technique and racquet head speed.

Amen to that.

That being said, the extra spin is marginal and though I use a textured string, I very so use it because I like the qualities of it. ie. its stiffness and how it works in combination with NXT.

l_gonzalez
01-16-2009, 07:32 AM
that's exactly why I use Super Spiky and why i'm trying out MSV Hex, they feel nice! If i REALLY want to get more spin, i adjust my shots accordingly.

supermario343
01-16-2009, 07:34 AM
My best guess would be mains for max spin

StevenLaurence
01-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Put a 15L Multi on the mains and a 18ga Poly or Fluoro Poly on the crosses. It works! The Fed setup of Natural Gut and Fluoro on the crosses does the same!

NickC
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
You get mainly the characteristics of the main string in a hybrid. One would only put a poly in the crosses to tone down the power level of the main string, such as a multi or gut.

NickC
01-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Put a 15L Multi on the mains and a 18ga Poly or Fluoro Poly on the crosses. It works! The Fed setup of Natural Gut and Fluoro on the crosses does the same!

He doesn't use Fluoro. He uses Babolat VS Touch Natural Gut 16 mains and Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Rough 17 in the crosses.