PDA

View Full Version : Is Blue Gear (or other spin strings) addictive?

hellonewbie
01-15-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm thinking about trying BG and maybe other spin strings. I'm curious about how current users feel about these spin strings, do you feel:

1. You're cheating by using these spin enhancing strings?
2. Less confidence when you use other strings or when the gears wear out?
3. Addicted to these spin strings?

I fear that if I really like BG, I may be afraid to switch away from it to ever try anything else...

Ronny
01-15-2009, 12:26 AM
....its not a drug and its not cheating
bb rough has more spin that bg

SchreckTennis
01-15-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm thinking about trying BG and maybe other spin strings. I'm curious about how current users feel about these spin strings, do you feel:

I fear that if I really like BG, I may be afraid to switch away from it to ever try anything else...

If you want to try other strings and still add some spin, I would suggest using String Savers- I feel like they add a little spin and I thought I heard something about Roger Federer using a few of them in the sweetspot of his racquet for added spin, but I don't remember if it was credible information or not...

certifiedjatt
01-15-2009, 07:15 AM
strings have NOTHING to do with spin. oh god. i wish you guys would spend more time with a good science book than a tennis forum. coaches, other players and internet forums are the worst places to learn the technicalities of tennis. pick up "technical tennis" or "the physics and technology of tennis".

SchreckTennis
01-15-2009, 09:16 AM
strings have NOTHING to do with spin. oh god. i wish you guys would spend more time with a good science book than a tennis forum. coaches, other players and internet forums are the worst places to learn the technicalities of tennis. pick up "technical tennis" or "the physics and technology of tennis".

I'm sure they have something to do with spin otherwise, why would many pros string with alu rough rather than regular alu even with same price?

They might not have as much to do with spin as technique or string pattern, but to say they add nothing is a little simplified...

PED
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
You don't lose that much spin when the gears do wear out-especially on the 1.28mm. The majority of the spin comes from the stiff nature of BG so losing the gears will drop the spin some but it's still quite effective.

SoCal10s
01-15-2009, 02:02 PM
You don't lose that much spin when the gears do wear out-especially on the 1.28mm. The majority of the spin comes from the stiff nature of BG so losing the gears will drop the spin some but it's still quite effective.

very good infomation... what is that new platanium Blue Gear? is that the same stuff? I ordered soem and the color of the blue is less than before..

wao
01-15-2009, 02:17 PM

I fear that if I really like BG, I may be afraid to switch away from it to ever try anything else... BG is an excellent string and NO it is not cheating. If you have good technique these strings will really make the spin INSANE. I hybrid mine with Max touch to soften the string bed somewhat. When the gears wear it's like any other poly. I have and am always in the quest for the best set up for my game. I currently have BG/MT in one stick, ALU Power ( thanks PED ) /MT in another and ALU Rough /MT in the third. BG offers the most spin though each have there own unique benefits IMO. Rough is the middle ground though I still like BG and the price is a plus as well.

TennezSport
01-15-2009, 02:58 PM

The ITF performed tests last year on so called "Spin Strings" and found that the string only provided a 3% increase in spin vs non spin strings. Spin is more a matter of technique than string. Pro players use the spin version of strings more for feel than anything.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

hoodjem
01-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Nah. I've got a set of MSV Hex 1.10 in a hybrid with Gosen OG Micro in my racquet right now.

It plays really well: crisp, lots of spin, nice feel, good playable elasticity, and pretty decent power too.

But I don't think I'll ever be addicted to it. It's good but not perfect, and there are quite a few others that I want to try.

hoodjem
01-15-2009, 03:00 PM
BG is an excellent string and NO it is not cheating. If you have good technique these strings will really make the spin INSANE. I hybrid mine with Max touch to soften the string bed somewhat. When the gears wear it's like any other poly. I have and am always in the quest for the best set up for my game. I currently have BG/MT in one stick, ALU Power ( thanks PED ) /MT in another and ALU Rough /MT in the third. BG offers the most spin though each have there own unique benefits IMO. Rough is the middle ground though I still like BG and the price is a plus as well.

Does the Maxim Touch last very long? Does it get sawed through by the polys?

wao
01-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Does the Maxim Touch last very long? Does it get sawed through by the polys?MT is soft. I have tried PSGD and Titan as well. MT just softens up the string bed to my liking. Now with that said I am restringing my sticks after 10-12 hrs of play. By that time the MT is either poped or the poly is dead.

oneguy21
01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
The ITF performed tests last year on so called "Spin Strings" and found that the string only provided a 3% increase in spin vs non spin strings. Spin is more a matter of technique than string. Pro players use the spin version of strings more for feel than anything.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

You're absolutely wrong! These so called "spin strings" of yours are known as polyesters. Some of the most popular polyesters come from Luxilon, Babolat, Pro Supex. These strings are monofilaments meaning there just one strand instead of many strands interwoven together like multifilaments. Polyesters are pretty bad feeling strings with the exception of some.

Polyesters def. provide much more spin. The changed the nature of the game for God's sake!

PED
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
^^I believe Tennez was referring specifically to the spin oriented polys such as blue gear or spiky shark or alu power rough that are shaped or textured to provide more spin.

Tennez really knows his stuff and he's well aware of what poly's can do with the ball ;)

I will say that BG does seem more effective than anything else at effortless spin. I have no science to back this up but the action on the ball seems to bear it out. Having said that I find I produce a heavier ball overall with alu.

Toxicmilk
01-15-2009, 05:36 PM
You're absolutely wrong! These so called "spin strings" of yours are known as polyesters. Some of the most popular polyesters come from Luxilon, Babolat, Pro Supex. These strings are monofilaments meaning there just one strand instead of many strands interwoven together like multifilaments. Polyesters are pretty bad feeling strings with the exception of some.

Polyesters def. provide much more spin. The changed the nature of the game for God's sake!

Do you and those guys in the "polyester string" thread ALWAYS have to say this same thing over and over again? Yeah, just repeat w/e the heck the commentators say during matches.

The rest of your post just shows that you don't really understand what everyone else is talking about.

@OP
I wouldn't call any string addictive. I love my own setup, but I'm perfectly willing to experiment with other strings/setups. As far as these spin strings are concerned, BG is alright I guess. Although I prefer big ace, which I guess is not considered a string made for enhanced spin.

oneguy21
01-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Do you and those guys in the "polyester string" thread ALWAYS have to say this same thing over and over again? Yeah, just repeat w/e the heck the commentators say during matches.

The rest of your post just shows that you don't really understand what everyone else is talking about.

@OP
I wouldn't call any string addictive. I love my own setup, but I'm perfectly willing to experiment with other strings/setups. As far as these spin strings are concerned, BG is alright I guess. Although I prefer big ace, which I guess is not considered a string made for enhanced spin.

Why would you think I don't know what I'm talking about? Because I'm telling him what polyesters do? I thought he was a noob to strings since he used the term "Spin string." I know what polyesters do. I've experimented with lots and lots.

Barricade V
01-15-2009, 06:54 PM
its not addicting if you hate it.

lawlitssoo1n
01-15-2009, 07:34 PM
seriously, if u like it then there is no point in switching strings. i failed terrible with testing out a lot of strings. my favor now are
BG/gosen syn gut
BA/gosen syn gut

takano_tezuka
01-17-2009, 08:20 AM
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l323/takano_tezuka/100_5868.jpg

i tried this. & this is sick. Phenomenal ball bite.:twisted:

Jsa2u
01-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Just picked myself up a set off of the bay and am planning to string with gosen sheep micro 17 and of course prosuprex bluegear 17

Jackie T. Stephens
01-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Actually it does.. depending on gauge and the type of material the string is made out of and the crosses are the ones that mainly give you the spin.

sk8ing
01-17-2009, 09:47 PM
yes, spin strings like blue gear are super addictive

I LOVE BG :D