PDA

View Full Version : Restringing

futuratennis
01-15-2009, 02:25 AM
how often do you have to get your racquet restrung? i mean im pretty ****ed off lol, first of all i bought my racquet about a year ago.. and just a week ago or so a string finally broke. so i got it restrung and it cost $35 (aussie money) which is i think like 25 US dollars... i got kevlar strings, which were supposed to last longer.. as quoted by my restringer "more durable" and then after playing tennis 4 times, my strings broke again, and it was the same string again. (not blaming him, but hopefully will get a refund)
i was really ****ed off, i was playing pretty good, and was having tons of fun, then i went in for a backhand slice, and i hear a sound and im like "omfg, not again!" :( so have any of you had an experience like that ie. u get your racquet restrung then they break a few days later?

Nuke
01-15-2009, 03:25 AM
Strings are a consumable and should not be expected to last forever. Many people on this forum break strings in a matter of hours, so count yourself lucky for that set that lasted a year. BTW, those strings were probably long dead at that point before you broke them.

That said, kevlar ought to be the most durable strings. It's impossible for us to say whether you wore them out that quickly, or if there's a problem with your racquet or how it was strung.

mikeler
01-15-2009, 06:45 AM
If price is your only concern, add string savers to your Kevlar strings. I break most strings like crazy and that setup takes me more than a month to break.

fuzz nation
01-15-2009, 08:06 AM
I know a couple of dudes that are legitimate college level sluggers - both were at big tennis academies down south for a while when they were kids. Both of them use kevlar hybrids and they don't blow through strings that quickly. Unless you're ramping up your game to take on the world, I'd be a little suspicious of the quality of that string job. I string my own frames as well as for several friends and I'd be a little embarrassed if I did a kevlar job that blew out that quickly - especially since the stuff that came in your racquet lasted you a year!

If the kevlar that your stringer used was particularly thin, let's say 18 ga., then I could see it being a little less than extremely durable, but not too much. I'm not a pro stringer, but if one of my pal's blew through a kevlar string job that I did for them after only four sessions, I'd restring them for free. I think that since you're paying for durable string, it should hold up for you as long as you're not doing anything dumb with your racquet.

One thing to keep in mind - if your string broke in the "same place" as last time and that was out at the edge where the string meets the frame, you might have a problem with a cracked grommet or a burr that's biting into your string. Just a thought.

futuratennis
01-15-2009, 01:06 PM
well one thing i noticed was that i constantly had to put the strings back into place.. like i know you have to occasionally, but not every point! i also thought that, when i go to get it restrung im gonna ask the guy to see if theres anything wrong with it, and then i guess ill have to get a new racquet if there is :( btw, i do hit the ball really hard some times, but i mean the whole time ive been playing tennis ive only had to restring my different racquets 4 times overall.. so theres no way theyd break within a few days, id say its either the string job or my racquet

LeeD
01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Try to identify exactly where the string broke.
Probably main, center strings...that would be wear and tear.
If the string actually broke at the grommet, then that's the problem.
New strings should not break before 10 hours of play, even for pro level hitters.
Take it back to the stringer, and see what he says.

pmata814
01-15-2009, 01:11 PM
well one thing i noticed was that i constantly had to put the strings back into place.. like i know you have to occasionally, but not every point! i also thought that, when i go to get it restrung im gonna ask the guy to see if theres anything wrong with it, and then i guess ill have to get a new racquet if there is :( btw, i do hit the ball really hard some times, but i mean the whole time ive been playing tennis ive only had to restring my different racquets 4 times overall.. so theres no way theyd break within a few days, id say its either the string job or my racquet

What level player are you?

GeorgeLucas
01-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Your strings lasted you a year?? Well by then, the racquet must've played like doodoo. Ya know, alot of the better players on this board (cough J0lly, cough myself hehe) can break strings in a week.

If you find youself breaking strings too often, consider buying a stringer. They are not nearly as expensive as you may think (you can buy a stable one for a as low as $100 now!!).

oneguy21
01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Try to identify exactly where the string broke.
Probably main, center strings...that would be wear and tear.
If the string actually broke at the grommet, then that's the problem.
New strings should not break before 10 hours of play, even for pro level hitters.
Take it back to the stringer, and see what he says.

Some hard hitters break new strings relatively fast. My cousin breaks his multifilament in about 4 hrs of hitting. I personally restring when my strings break. I really can't feel the difference between a freshly strung set of strings and dead strings.

futuratennis
01-15-2009, 01:26 PM
lol, im a 4.5-5.5 (will post vid up soon), george lucas, my racquet has served me well, and has worked perfectly for a year, as for where the string broke, it broke in the centre, a little closer to the top, yea and i know strings shouldnt just break after 10 hours of play, thats exactly why im cheesed off

NightBandit
01-15-2009, 01:55 PM
futuratennis,

You're a 4.5 - 5.5 player who can "hit the ball really hard some times"?
You've played four times in the past week (since getting your racquet restrung)?
You've used the same strings that your new racquet came with a year ago?

Hmmmm . . .

If you're a 4.5 - 5.5 player who plays four times a week, you've been spoiled with a set of miracle strings for the past year! What strings were you playing with? I would expect someone of your skill level who plays that often to need new strings every week or two (even if you don't break them). What strings were you using again? I want a set of those!

I'd check with your stringer and ask for his opinion (if he feels that it's due to the string job, he should offer to restring it again for free).

NightBandit

oneguy21
01-15-2009, 01:59 PM
It could be the racquet. Check the grommets to see if they're fine.

Kevo
01-15-2009, 02:06 PM
lol, im a 4.5-5.5 (will post vid up soon), george lucas, my racquet has served me well, and has worked perfectly for a year, as for where the string broke, it broke in the centre, a little closer to the top, yea and i know strings shouldnt just break after 10 hours of play, thats exactly why im cheesed off

I call the bluff. No 4.5 or better player says I'm 4.5-5.5. If you're 4.5 you'd know it. If you're 5.0 you'd know it. You also wouldn't have one racquet. 10 hours of play is more than enough to break strings. If you have a full kevlar string job, then I wouldn't be surprised if you broke it in 10 hours, assuming you're really a 4.5 or better.

I think you are leaving out details, or something else is going on. Do you live outside the US and are guessing at your rating perhaps?

oneguy21
01-15-2009, 02:18 PM
futuratennis,

You've played four times in the past week (since getting your racquet restrung)?

Hmmmm . . .

If you're a 4.5 - 5.5 player who plays four times a week, you've been spoiled with a set of miracle strings for the past year! What strings were you playing with? I would expect someone of your skill level who plays that often to need new strings every week or two (even if you don't break them). What strings were you using again? I want a set of those!

I'd check with your stringer and ask for his opinion (if he feels that it's due to the string job, he should offer to restring it again for free).

NightBandit

There is a huge difference between 4.5 and 5.5.

WildVolley
01-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Despite what is being said here, string breakage is more of a matter of how you hit the ball rather than your NTRP.

Hitting the ball hard puts more stress on strings, but the real killer is usually topspin. I have 3 - 3.5 level friends who break strings quickly because they hit heavy topspin (I'll take some credit for teaching them the technique). I've hit with older 5.0s who hit the ball rather flat and don't break strings quickly.

Mains are usually the first strings to go if the break is due to topspin. As they slide back and forth the crosses saw through them. If the break is next to the frame, a strong mishit can sometimes be to blame.

Poor stringing technique (kinking poly) or poorly adjusted clamps can also shorten the life of a string bed.

aimr75
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I think you are leaving out details, or something else is going on. Do you live outside the US and are guessing at your rating perhaps?

if you bothered to read the post, he mentioned the cost in aussie money, and his location states Sydney.. theres no NTRP in Oz

futuratennis
01-15-2009, 11:35 PM
futuratennis,

Hmmmm . . .

NightBandit

lol sorry, i mean i can hit the ball hard all the time, but at varying levels of speed, i put very good pace on each shot, what i meant was, those really, really powerful shots, also i dont know if im a 4.5-5.5 player, im basing it off you guys and your vids, comparing strokes, consistency etc. as we dont even have an ntrp type rating in australia.. im going to post up a matchplay vid though, yea i was suprised my strings lasted that long, i probably played tennis like 150-200 times since i got my racquet, i kept asking my coach when i should restring it, and he kept saying "you should be alright for a while" i donno what strings they were, just default strings on a prince crvc ti or something lol

Captain Tezuka
01-16-2009, 01:28 AM
hi,

I'm an aussie in melb.

WTF how wouldn't the strings break after 10 hrs of heavy fast paced hitting? :lol:

But thats off topic I'd suggest TW aus restring your racket BTW where did you string it because the place matters too if it is in a run down tennis shop somewhere then it probably has uneducated stringers.

I'd also suggest Rebel Sports or tennis gear for restringing but dunno if Rebel does it cause it is a all sports outlet probably most likely does, but tennis gear is a pro shop so it should hav or get sued. :lol: http://www.tennisgear.com.au/

But even that get a extra same racket and get a feel for what type of string you like e.g. Luxion Big Banger. Also play-style wat are you SV, AB, CP, R, AR/AC? that is an important factor of string selection/recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas
If you find youself breaking strings too often, consider buying a stringer. They are not nearly as expensive as you may think (you can buy a stable one for a as low as $100 now!!).

But the above quote really seems appropraite it is cheap online and if you string it yourself u'll porbably feel more confident standing on court take it slow though since it maybe fast rushed stringing that caused the strings demise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo

BTW Australia has the international ITN system not the NTRP system U.S only so take some time to known stuff like this or are you trying to get more posts?

futuratennis
01-16-2009, 01:52 AM
i swear, u guys are saying that its not uncommon for strings to break after 10 hours of heavy-paced hitting? wtf, would anyone even play the sport if this were true (not saying it isn't) i mean ive got friends who are really good players, and their strings last 6 months + usually.. my dad whos really good, his strings have lasted a whole year, my coach, who played satellite tournaments, and still plays competitively often, never breaks his strings that quick.. what so we're supposed to shell out $35 each time we want it restrung, and saying this, im no newbie at tennis, been playing for 10 years (extremely on/off) and have stuck with it for the past 2-3 years (playing regurlarly) and dont intend on giving it a break soon, i also play in national opens, round robins, etc. you get the point..

futuratennis
01-16-2009, 01:56 AM
and tezuka, i got it restrung from this guy, who restrings all over sydney, coaches, runs camps etc. he also went to the nick bolliteri (correct spelling?) academy, he knows alot about tennis..
my racquet got restrung with kevlar, my game mainly consists of being an aggressive baseliner, however i do like to approach the net quite alot

Bolivian Ace
01-16-2009, 04:38 AM
If your first set lasted a year, you DO NOT need Kevlar!!! That stuff can hurt your arm. Just try any good 16g sysn gut.

Owfred
01-16-2009, 08:56 AM
The story doesn't really add up.

You said you have been using strings for a year from, I presume, a pre-strung racquet (Prince crvc TI?, I am not familiar with it). From my experience, manufacturer strung strings lasted me about 4 days before they broke. If your racquet didn't break for a year, I don't see why you decided to switch to kevlar.

Kevlar, for you, shouldn't break that fast. Since you mentioned it was the same string, there might be something wrong with your grommet (as mentioned earlier) or your racquet (crack). Could you clarify what racquet exactly you are using? (model, head size etc?)

Kevo
01-16-2009, 11:20 AM
if you bothered to read the post, he mentioned the cost in aussie money, and his location states Sydney.. theres no NTRP in Oz

That's really funny. I must have read it, because I came to the exact conclusion I would have if I had read it. But then, I assumed it wasn't in the post, probably from the confusion of reading some of the other posts that questioned the rating. Obviously he didn't know his NTRP at all since he wouldn't have one in Australia.

Strange how the brain works. There's probably a research paper somewhere that explains how this sort of thing happens.

Kevo
01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
i swear, u guys are saying that its not uncommon for strings to break after 10 hours of heavy-paced hitting? wtf, would anyone even play the sport if this were true (not saying it isn't) i mean ive got friends who are really good players, and their strings last 6 months + usually.. my dad whos really good, his strings have lasted a whole year, my coach, who played satellite tournaments, and still plays competitively often, never breaks his strings that quick.. what so we're supposed to shell out $35 each time we want it restrung, and saying this, im no newbie at tennis, been playing for 10 years (extremely on/off) and have stuck with it for the past 2-3 years (playing regurlarly) and dont intend on giving it a break soon, i also play in national opens, round robins, etc. you get the point..

Anyone who is playing tennis at a high enough level these days will need to cope with strings breaking fairly regularly. There are ways to make strings last longer, and *THE* way to make it affordable is to string your own frames. A stringer will pay for itself in short order if you play often.

The longest lasting combination of strings is going to be a thick guage kevlar main with a thick guage syn gut cross. Hands down this will last you longer than anything else. I don't really recommend it for most though since kevlar can be hard on your arm and wrist especially at higher tensions.

The next best combo is a thick guage durable poly with a syn gut cross. This will not last as long as the kevlar, but I think many people even really good players should be able to get 30 hours or so if their not too picky about tension loss with the right string combo.

After this is going to be full poly in a thick guage.

Anything without poly or kevlar is likely to break pretty quickly (under 20 hours) for good players, and really quickly (under 10 as low as 1-2 hours) for a really good player.

The other significant factor is your frame. If you are really interested in string life and want to play softer strings, switch to a frame with a tight 18x20 pattern. This almost double string life for me with the same poly string.

mikeler
01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
I use synthetic gut and it never lasts me more than 10 hours of play. Since I have my own stringer, I don't care. If you really want to improve your game, learn to string and try a bunch of different combinations out. For those of us in the states, it is easier to determine our NTRP level, especially if we play NTRP tournaments.

Nanshiki
01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
If strings didn't break so fast, pros wouldn't need 20 racquets in a bag...

The guy who tests strings for Tecnifibre can break them in like 120 shots.

futuratennis
01-16-2009, 05:03 PM
alright, well this is quite new to me, i had no idea strings could break this fast, i mean, if this is correct (what you guys are saying) its not unusual for my strings to break all the time, so you're basically saying i have to get my racquet restrung every 30 hours of court time.. ive never had the experience of strings breaking this fast, noone ive ever known has ever broken their strings that fast.
my racquet is an oversize head, prince crvc titanium (cant seem to find it on the net) its a good racquet, i think im coming to the conclusion that their must be a crack or something wrong with my racquet.. i mean is it unusual for the same string to break again? like i said, i also noticed that the strings needed to be put back into place almost every point..

i have no idea how my original strings lasted this long then, but ive always thought strings would last at least 6 months, and ive never been told different, i mean i know the pros bring multiple racquets to the court, but their PROs... so youre saying you guys need to get yours restrung within a small amount of court time, i find this weird considering that i heard nikolay davydenko (pretty sure it was him) went through a whole tournament, and won it, without once changing his racquet or getting it restrung

Nanshiki
01-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Players who have more topspin and hit harder break them faster. Some strings are inherently weaker. And sometimes you'll have a bad string, or a bad grommet, or mistake during stringing will cause them to break prematurely.

You might want to just get a stringing machine... you can buy a basic one for $140 US.