PDA

View Full Version : Oh no Fh broke down today again

halalula1234
01-15-2009, 04:46 AM
Hi everyone

Like a while ago i was havin trouble with the consistency of my fh and hittin of the sweet spot so it doesnt go out. Then for like months i was able to play it as a really great shot but now today it seems to be all out of form.. I cant seem to be hitting it properly.

Like it is not consistent some shots goes out or too high and i cant seeem to put enough top spin on it while keeping the pace. and i felt my wrist and shoulder a bit stiff on some shot that went wrong but seems that i cant seem to set up properly and maybe messed up my take back. I was playin on this cheap grass court today at a friend's house and it was a lil bumpy on a few parts and the ball bounces funny could that also be why but i have had good days generally on funny bouncing grass but today it went badddd.

I use the eastern grip. Does anyone know what a proper shot hit with top spin using an eastern grip look kinda like?
cus i dont have much idea but im hitting it more like a sw person using the eastern grip. Cus my coach said when i showed him me hitting the ball with the eastern that i seem to be more dangerous using that shot and will benefit my game more also it feels more natural and confortable.

oh yh and thx.

Btw NO problem with high balls only mid height ones and low ones are good.. just having bad prob on the balls ususally in my strike zone

LeeD
01-15-2009, 08:05 AM
I got the same crappy forehand, so I understand....
Fundamentals, of course. You gotta get the racket back slightly, the shoulder turned more, and add some footwork on each and every forehand. Before the incoming ball even gets over the net, you (and me) gotta get into some kind of ready position. Late prep is a major reason for FH's to go wrong, get inconsistent, or often mishit.
Seems on higher bouncing balls, you (we) gotta turn into the shot with more torso, less arm. Seems on low bouncers, arm supplies plenty of steady power.
Of course, if you can apply legs, shoulder turn, some torso twist, early prep, good eye coordination, and clean hitting, you (we) would actually have a decent forehand.
Not sure what you mean when you ask what an E forehand should "look" like. Since every player swings differently, there are just too many variables.
OK, slightly topspun, good pace, long carry on the ball.

futuratennis
01-15-2009, 01:22 PM
it happens.. id regard my forehand as my best shot, and i get the occasional days where it just feels unnatural, you just gotta try to feel what youre doing wrong and fix it, get back into the rhythm.. like what the poster above me said, "the basic fundamentals" and yea, it can get extremely annoying, but, it happens to everyone, even the pros sometimes

jmjmkim
01-15-2009, 11:08 PM
I used to play with a eastern forehand all my life, having started tennis using a wood racket and the Jack Kramer way. My forehand was the weakest part of my game, especially on some days when it broke apart. I couldn'g get it over the net, or it would fly to the back fence.

Now with the western, or even the heavy western, I hit the ball much more solid with more margin for error since I am clearing the net by a good 3 to 5 feet (topspin).

I will never go back, except for a half volley drop shot.