PDA

View Full Version : Babolat VS team/Alu power?

djoko4thewin
01-15-2009, 07:34 AM
hey has anyone tried this combo, i'd like some feedback on what tension u used, the overall playability and how long it lasted you. Thanks.

texag01
01-15-2009, 11:12 AM
That is the combo that is in Wilson Champion's Choice. Read the customer feedback.

Zhou
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
That is the combo that is in Wilson Champion's Choice. Read the customer feedback.

Maybe, but the Gut in Champ's Choice is said to lower quality than the gut sold separately.

djoko4thewin
01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
yes, that's why i'm asking and the vs team is the best gut over the wilson one u get from champs choice even though it's made by same company.

Zhou
01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
yes, that's why i'm asking and the vs team is the best gut over the wilson one u get from champs choice even though it's made by same company.

The VS gut is the same gut in the Wilson Gut packages not the same as in Champs choice.

nadal for number1
01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
nice hybrid but the lux looses tension much faster than the gut

djoko4thewin
01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
yeah that's what i meant, sorry, that buying seperate is better as gut in champs choice is not as good. anyhow do u know much about this setup in terms of durability, as it's quite obvious the playability is excellent, otherwise pro's wouldn't use it.

djoko4thewin
01-16-2009, 03:04 AM
---bump---

djoko4thewin
01-17-2009, 01:03 AM
---bump---

vndesu
01-17-2009, 01:12 AM
i felt it to be not really soft but soft to me.
i got good amount of spin
for tension wise i strung mines at 67 so when it came to power i had to use my own power to help get the plow i needed.

i would use this string more often but i felt like phts 17g/ vs team 17g was alot better.

plus its too expensive :x

djoko4thewin
01-17-2009, 10:31 AM
ok, so how long does this setup last?

TennezSport
01-17-2009, 10:46 AM
The VS gut is the same gut in the Wilson Gut packages not the same as in Champs choice.

At last years Stringers Symposium the Head rep from Wilson and Luxilon told us that the string in Wilson's Champions Choice is indeed Bab VS team (Wilson NG) and Luxilon's AluR. The Babolat rep also confirmed this.

We tested this hybrid setup and found the strings to compliment each other rather well. Nice power, control and spin depending on how you string it up (M x C) and what tension you use. The feel will also change based on the racquet head size and string pattern density.

Durability especially depends on how you string it. NG in the mains and AluR crosses does not last as long as the other way around, as the AluR crosses chews through the NG mains especially if you hit heavy TS. Using string savers can help and just remember when taking care of NG, no extreme temp changes.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

djoko4thewin
01-17-2009, 12:20 PM
ok thanks alot. would it be better if u used alu power instead of rough to prevent the sawing? any idea how long it might last? in uk champs choice from stringer is 35 so it's expensive, but if it lasted me like 15-18 hours that would be good, that might sound ridiculous but i'm guessing.

uk_skippy
01-17-2009, 01:02 PM
ok thanks alot. would it be better if u used alu power instead of rough to prevent the sawing? any idea how long it might last? in uk champs choice from stringer is 35 so it's expensive, but if it lasted me like 15-18 hours that would be good, that might sound ridiculous but i'm guessing.

Where abouts are you in the UK?

djoko4thewin
01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
sussex, got any info on my question?

uk_skippy
01-17-2009, 01:54 PM
sussex, got any info on my question?
West or East Sussex?

As for the string, what rqt you using, and whats your normal tension?

Using ALU Power instead of rough would probably make the set up last a bit longer, bit its difficult to say how much longer.

Regards

Paul

djoko4thewin
01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
why u asking west or east? anyway it's east, plus i'v tried different strings from x1, tec poly spin and synthetic gut hybrid, pro hurricane, and recently red code/x1 which is quite good. but back to the original question how long do u think it may last with alu power?

uk_skippy
01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
why u asking west or east? anyway it's east, plus i'v tried different strings from x1, tec poly spin and synthetic gut hybrid, pro hurricane, and recently red code/x1 which is quite good. but back to the original question how long do u think it may last with alu power?

I asked out of curiousity, especially as Sussex isn't a county on its own any more. Plus If you'd been closer to me than I maybe able to have helped you out.

Any, it'll be difficult to know how long it'll last if you dont' say what rqt you've got, especially as some are likely to be 16x19 patterns compared t 18x20, with the latter usually giving a more durable string life.

djoko4thewin
01-18-2009, 08:18 AM
right sorry about that, thanks for trying to help me by asking where i live. i have a KBT which is 18x20 so as u said slightly better string life so from that u got any better idea of the string life of the combo i asked about, just roughly between x and y.

uk_skippy
01-18-2009, 10:45 AM
No probs

I used the TF335 before my current stick and strung it with the same hybrid. I;d change strings in the summer about every month. That would be about 25-30 hrs depending on how much I played during the week. I almost play exclusively doubles, so I'd be hitting less balls. I also strung it with 3lbs difference between the gut and the ALU P. I never broke strings, but found the playability had gone during that month.

So I'd say that you should get upto 20 hours out of the combo. The use of ALU Rough shouldn't make that much difference on life.

Regards

Paul

djoko4thewin
01-18-2009, 11:52 AM
thanks, just what i wanted to hear! what tension did u do the vs team/alu power at? u said 3lbs diff but what did u do it at? if u don't mind me asking. i'm just trying to find a good tension for this sort of hybrid. i used x1 with 55lbs but i guess this is a bit more powerful but not exactly sure, what do u think. Lastly have u tried alu rough? or just prefer power from the first time u tried it? very last, did u use string savers?

djoko4thewin
01-19-2009, 05:53 AM
---bump---

djoko4thewin
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
anyone out there who has tried or has knowledge of this hybrid.

StevenLaurence
01-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Try Kirschbaum Spiky on the cross and string savors on everyother cross starting at the forth or fifth cross.
Amazing Spin!

djoko4thewin
01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
ok...Thanks.

LPShanet
01-20-2009, 10:57 PM
hey has anyone tried this combo, i'd like some feedback on what tension u used, the overall playability and how long it lasted you. Thanks.

Yes, I used many sets of this combo and like it a lot. I've tried it anywhere from 62/59 (in my current frame) down to 55/52 (in my previous frame), and it played well at both ends and everywhere in between...depending on which frame it's in. With the Lux in the mains, the durability before breaking is excellent, but the mains do go dead for me after about 8-12 hours of play. With the gut in the mains, the string job was playable longer, and was mainly limited by how long the gut lasted before breakage. For me that's also about 8-10 hours, but for many, gut will last longer than that. Also, I found the gut lasted longer in this hybrid than it does in a full gut set, probably due to the low friction of the Lux crosses. Personally, I preferred the gut in the mains, but could make an argument for either, depending on what you were trying to achieve in terms of feel, control, etc. Also, if you're worried about shock, feel or wear and tear on your arm, you might consider trying a VS Team/Alu Power Fluoro hybrid, which plays a bit softer. That's what I'm currently using, and I really like it.

Tombhoneb
01-21-2009, 04:39 AM
Do you guys buy champions choice or buy the strings separately as there is not much difference in price ?

djoko4thewin
01-21-2009, 05:36 AM
thanks LPshanet, do u use string savers?

LPShanet
01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
thanks LPshanet, do u use string savers?

I don't, but it's mostly just laziness. Those that use them seem to like them quite a bit. Since any poly goes dead after a set period of time anyway, I don't really feel the need to prolong the life of the string job by a few hours. Of course, I do my own stringing, so it's easier to be a bit cavalier about my restringing frequency.

djoko4thewin
01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
ok thanks, how much does it cost u for one string job? plus what is your favourite tension that u use?

LPShanet
01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
ok thanks, how much does it cost u for one string job? plus what is your favourite tension that u use?

Hard to calculate, since I tend to buy the Lux Fluoro (or Alu Power) by the reel, so it depends a bit on how many string jobs I get from it, and how careful/tight I am about the lengths I cut. You can often get one more string job than expected per mini-reel if you calculate the lengths for your particular racquet exactly. As for the gut, I get that at Team prices from Babolat, so not a fair barometer.

At retail prices, I'm guessing the strings should be about $26 per job, plus whatever the stringer charges. As for fave tension, I've been playing 62 in the mains, and 56-58 in the crosses lately.

djoko4thewin
01-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks LPshanet.

LPShanet
01-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks LPshanet.

Cheers. Glad to help.

djoko4thewin
01-24-2009, 08:19 AM
what's the real difference between alu/gut and gut/alu? first one more durability and 2nd more feel and playability?

T1000
01-24-2009, 08:49 AM
great combo, used it 60/62 on a rds 001 mid 2008. got plenty of power and control and some spin. it lasted me 8-10 hours. alu/gut imo is a big waste of money. plenty of strings can do the job just as good. the first one is more feel/playabilty while the second one is duability. if you want to do the second one, gut prince lightning or any synthetic or multi will to guts job

Jackie T. Stephens
01-24-2009, 08:55 AM
That sounds good but I strictly use Alu power for mains and crosses.

djoko4thewin
01-24-2009, 09:02 AM
ok thanks. so gut/alu is the best one. but it's really expensive for 10 hours worth...like 35 in uk. is it really worth that...also was a tension of 60/62 good, i have a KBT, should i go lower?

T1000
01-24-2009, 09:05 AM
i have my own power so it depends. if you can bring your own power use it. i only use it for tournaments, and i use x1 biphase in the mains for practice.

djoko4thewin
01-24-2009, 09:12 AM
ok how long does that last you with x1/alu power? because that's kinda similiar to the setup were talking about just that it's cheaper and probaly more durable, plus obviously the better playability in the vs.

T1000
01-24-2009, 09:15 AM
i can get about 18-20 which is unusual for me cuz i break strings frequently

djoko4thewin
01-24-2009, 09:18 AM
that's quite good considering, what tension u use with that? plus does the alu saw the x1 or? (which goes first, obviously x1?)

stician
01-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Klip X-Plosive hybrid is a good $20 choice. Legend gut has more control than VS without jacking up the tension and K-Boom copoly plays softer than ALU. Check out the RSi review here (http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2004/11/klip_xplosive.html)

T1000
01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
x1 goes first. i've beene experimenting with tensions but i usually use the same as gut/alu 60/62. th alu didn't saw that much

djoko4thewin
01-24-2009, 09:40 AM
ok cool. sounds like a hybrid worth trying, a bit like a cheaper version of the champions choice one.

LPShanet
01-27-2009, 04:23 PM
ok thanks. so gut/alu is the best one. but it's really expensive for 10 hours worth...like 35 in uk. is it really worth that...also was a tension of 60/62 good, i have a KBT, should i go lower?

Whichever side (main or cross) you put it in, definitely string the Alu looser than the gut. In general, Lux should be strung at least 5% (and up to 10%) looser than conventional (multi or gut) strings to get the same feel.

djoko4thewin
01-28-2009, 03:10 AM
ok thanks LPshanet

PED
02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
ok cool. sounds like a hybrid worth trying, a bit like a cheaper version of the champions choice one.

If you are doing the x1/alu hybrid be aware of the very small life of that setup.:twisted:

I've done it twice and the feeling is unbelievable but I only got 90 minutes out of job one and 2 hours 10 minutes out of job 2. This was on a PST with a 16X20 pattern.

djoko4thewin
02-01-2009, 03:07 PM
crickey that's not much at all. i have a kbt so 18x20 might last longer but why does it last so short? would gut/alu last even shorter?

PED
02-01-2009, 07:50 PM
The gut alu combo should last you around 12 to 15 hours depending on the gut. I've actually not used the combo yet but have it coming in this week. I've got a hard hitting buddy who used the klip legend gut crossed with CF and he was getting 15 hours out of it with string savers. It's steeper up front cost but it works out in long run. I'll report back when mine comes in. It should be here tuesday I hope.

The x1/alu setup was the best I ever used. Control, spin power,,,,you name it. If it lasted longer, I'd still be using it but I can't justify that lack of durability.

davidahenry
02-01-2009, 09:10 PM
^^^^ PED - Exactly what set up will you be trying? Klip Legend mains and CF crosses? I'll be interested to read how it plays.

I have been wanting to try VS mains and Alu Power Rough crosses (Federer set up) but haven't done so yet. With how much I love full Rough, I'm afraid the above mentioned hybrid will be way too powerful for my liking, but it is just one of those hybrids I really want to test.

Take care.

DH

yebo
02-01-2009, 09:30 PM
I just got a mini reel of Cyberflash and a set of Klip Legend..

Going to string up 2 of my prestige pros with Cyberflash mains/Legend X's and Legend mains and Cyberflash X's. Should be interesting

davidahenry
02-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I just got a mini reel of Cyberflash and a set of Klip Legend..

Going to string up 2 of my prestige pros with Cyberflash mains/Legend X's and Legend mains and Cyberflash X's. Should be interesting

Cool. Please keep us posted on these two setups.

DH

PED
02-02-2009, 05:48 AM
David, I've just bought another used PresPro that already has VS mains and alu power crosses. It was done at 57/55. It should be here tomorrow. I think it will be powerful but when I used the X1/alu setup, it was the perfect blend of power and control. You got nice oomph from the soft x1 mains but the poly crosses gave you a nice "hoo" on your shots. I really don't like full multi setups and the x1/alu was totally different.

Can't wait to try out the gut!

Yebo, looks like you'll be saving me time and $$ since your are trying those setups in a Pres Pro. That way if you feedback on them is negative it will save me from having to do it myself ;) So far in my Pres Pro I've tried full alu rough and loved it but it went dead even quicker than usual. I don't know if it was just the new grommets getting seated in or the more open pattern. Now, I've got CF in there and it's "fine" but nothing to rave about. Let me know how it goes with the legend.

djoko4thewin
02-02-2009, 10:17 AM
thanks PED for info, which do u think will last longer, gut/alu power(djokos setup) or x1/alu power? obviously gut/alu is the better playability but which lasts longer, with no string savers. considering gut/alu is for me in the uk 12 more than x1/alu becuase of the high gut price, i can't see gut/alu lasting much longer than x1/alu but what do u think? lastly which gut u using, vs team?(1.25)

PED
02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
I think the gut would still work out to be the better investment. If you can get 12 hours (minimum) out of the gut/alu vs only 2 for the x1/alu then the extra cost will pay for itself. If the durability of the x1/alu was there, I would be using it myself but I'm not even a big string breaker and I snapped it right away.

djoko4thewin
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
i think u might just be unlucky, as T1000 who has posted on this thread on p2 said he got 18-20 hours out of x1/alu so that's more than the minimum gut/alu which is much more expensive. the gut can also go randomly due to playing in bad weather conditions compaed to the x1 which is a bit more reliable in the weather and temp changes.

PED
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
i think u might just be unlucky, as T1000 who has posted on this thread on p2 said he got 18-20 hours out of x1/alu

I think it might be worth you while to try the x1 out first then. Either way, you'll be glad you did as the overall setup is awesome. My new stick just arrived today with the VS/alu and I'll report back.

djoko4thewin
02-02-2009, 04:09 PM
ok great. vs team? plus what tension on ur new racket? and what standard do u play at? ntrp rating? just to see if ur a heavy baseliner or something that influents you shortening the time of the string steups you mentioned compared to other people.

PED
02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
^^VS team at 57/55. I play at the 4.0 level, spend most of my time at the baseline and hit a fairly heavy ball. I'm not a stringbreaker by any means, but with a soft main and a poly cross, they get sliced like a knife through butter. I also tried out Klip Excellerator multi mains with Kirschbaum Competition crosses with the same result but the Klip was not as nice as the X1.

djoko4thewin
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
ok cool, i'm about to try x1/au power at 57/55 in my KBT, in the next 4 days i hope, as my stringer is waiting for strings. do u use string savers? where abouts do u play? in uk?

PED
02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't use string savers with the x1 but they are in the VS team. I'm over in the USA but love the UK. I used to come over twice a year to watch football-I'm a major gooners fan!

djoko4thewin
02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
haha! love it, sorry to say it but i'm a Man u fan. do u think string savers are worth it? (for the future u going to use them) well finally just report back when u've used the vs/alu over the next couple days and fill me in with the details, can't wait.

PED
02-02-2009, 04:50 PM
ManU are going to be tough to beat this year. I'm not much of a Pool supporter but those 2 goals in 5 mins yesterday from El Nino brought a smile to my face. I don't like to put the negative energy out there but I REALLY don't like chelsea.

I do think the string savers are worth it with the gut but maybe not with the multi.

djoko4thewin
02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
ok, i agree i DON'T like chelsea either! what string savers do u use with the gut? and where.

djoko4thewin
02-03-2009, 02:52 PM
have u tried it yet? plus what string savers and where.

PED
02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Hopefully on thursday and through out the weekend. We're getting a blast of winter weather the next 2 days but then it warms up. Stringsavers in the middle of the string in the upper section.

djoko4thewin
02-04-2009, 01:55 AM
ok, which string savers do u use? and are they reusable? if not that could be quite expensive.

djoko4thewin
02-05-2009, 11:40 AM
any more info yet PED?

PED
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
The high was 33 degrees today, so I ran instead :) I'm playing the next 2 days so I'll report back tomorrow.

djoko4thewin
02-06-2009, 03:02 AM
ok is it gut team your using? plus how long do u think it will last you? roughly.

djoko4thewin
02-07-2009, 02:14 PM
any update PED?

PED
02-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes, I find the gut/poly setup to be fine but not earth shattering :)

That's just my opinion but TBH, I prefer the feel of the X1/alu as opposed to the VS/alu. Depth is nice and control is fine but I'll be going back to full alu when this setup dies out. For my game, it's just not a great fit, but for alot of people (including Fed), this is a great setup-just not for me.

v205
02-07-2009, 11:45 PM
PED,

Have you also tried Alu/X1 to compare with the X1/Alu?

I'm current using Alu / PSGD which solves my arm problem (from full poly) and was wondering if a better quality cross (X1) will improve things noticably from PSGD cross.

Yes, I find the gut/poly setup to be fine but not earth shattering :)

That's just my opinion but TBH, I prefer the feel of the X1/alu as opposed to the VS/alu. Depth is nice and control is fine but I'll be going back to full alu when this setup dies out. For my game, it's just not a great fit, but for alot of people (including Fed), this is a great setup-just not for me.

davidahenry
02-08-2009, 05:20 AM

I recently tried Alu Power Rough mains and Tecnifibre NRG2 crosses. It was a very good hybrid - just a little too soft and a little too powerful for my liking. I quickly switched back to full Alu, but that is just my preference - I love the way a full bed of Alu plays.

It is my understanding the X-1 is Tecnifibre's top-of-the-line multi, and NRG2 is second in line. X-1 is a little more powerful than NRG2 - but since I found a full bed of X-1 to be way too powerful for my game, I think I would prefer the lower power of NRG2. Plus, NRG2 is less expensive than X-1, so that is a good thing.

Give NRG2 a try in your crosses - you may like it a great deal.

Take care.

DH

PED
02-08-2009, 05:23 AM
PED,

I'm current using Alu / PSGD which solves my arm problem (from full poly) and was wondering if a better quality cross (X1) will improve things noticably from PSGD cross.

I've generally found it's not worth the $ for a high quality cross. When I used to hybrid with poly mains, I found that I preferred Titan syn gut at $3 a pack over X1....sad but true. I love X1 as a main but don't think it's worth the $ for cross purposes. I'd stick with the PSGD if it's working for you.

One more point, in a multi or gut main setup with poly crosses, I've found the CF works equally well in the crosses as alu. It's funny because I think (along with David) that full alu is the best setup out there there, but when thinking about crosses, the CF is good stuff.

djoko4thewin
02-08-2009, 07:44 AM
cheers guys for that info. PED so uv favourite is x1/alu at 57/55 then? i asked my stringer and he thinks that the alu will saw the x1 in no time, he thought in 3hrs hitting time.

PED
02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I agree with your stringer, that's what I had stated on the previous page-it plays great but just does not last.

I guess I'm just a full poly guy. Nothing like full alu. I'm looking forward to trying ProLIne 2 next in my Pro but I've got some BBO as well that should work well with this string pattern.

djoko4thewin
02-08-2009, 12:02 PM
ok so maybe go for gut/alu power because it may last longer? or alu/x1 as this is good for durability and added power?

Baboman
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
im waiting on a delivery:
i'll be demoing
the Kblade 98
with champions choice (Bab VS/ Alu Power)

just outta interest what stick you thinking of using the strings with ?

ill let you know how i get on buddy.......

djoko4thewin
02-08-2009, 02:21 PM
cheers bro, i'm using a KBT, any idea what tension it is?

PED
02-08-2009, 02:39 PM
The vs/alu will last longer than the x1/alu but I don't find that the gut is worth the cost. I'm not much for touch so bear that in mind. I'd rather have nice elasticity with a solid pop and wicked spin. Sounds like full lux to me.

Baboman
02-08-2009, 04:00 PM
cheers bro, i'm using a KBT, any idea what tension it is?

59 and a 60

v205
02-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Is it better to do X1 in a full bed or cross it with PGSD?

(I currently have three X1 packs. 2x 16g and 1x 17g)

I would not consider using a X1 / poly cause the poly will saw the multi main in no time.

djoko4thewin
02-09-2009, 01:59 AM
v205 i'm not sure, prob best x1 crossed with pgsd as full x1 doesnt last very long. also if a poly would saw the multi in no time, wouldnt the poly saw vs team gut in no time aswell? or is vs much stronger, the gauge difference is 1.24-1.25 which is nothing.

PED
02-09-2009, 11:04 AM
After playing this am, I ended up cutting this setup out. I was just too inconsistent with it. Too much power and not enough control. Even if cost was no object, I would still rather use X1/Cf over VS/alu. I just really didn't care for it in the end. Back to full alu for now ;)

djoko4thewin
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
ok thanks for that. sounds like you prefer polys so you can can control your power, whereas iv used full x1, redcode/x1 and recently alu power/x1 which are fairly powerful, and i liked them all but like the alu/x1 the most but i feel that the gut/alu might be the next best thing where i cannot get better as even pros use it. the only issue for me is the durability, i just need to know how long it might last especially if i'm paying 35 per restring.

v205
02-09-2009, 02:33 PM
What racket / pattern are you using the Alu-P/X1? Why do you like it the most?

Also, what tension M/C?

ok thanks for that. sounds like you prefer polys so you can can control your power, whereas iv used full x1, redcode/x1 and recently alu power/x1 which are fairly powerful, and i liked them all but like the alu/x1 the most but i feel that the gut/alu might be the next best thing where i cannot get better as even pros use it. the only issue for me is the durability, i just need to know how long it might last especially if i'm paying 35 per restring.

PED
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I can't see the gut/alu being worth the 35 pounds but it's all down to personal taste. I picked up stick up tonight with full alu at 55/52 and it was magic!!

djoko4thewin
02-10-2009, 02:13 AM
true maybe i should just try it out and see what happens. you got an idea how long it might last?(gut/alu)

PED
02-10-2009, 04:03 AM
15 hours, you probably should try it for 2 reasons: 1. because you'll like it and switch to it or 2. just to get it out of your system. I'd always vaguely wanted to try the setup without the desire to spend the money to do so. Now, at least I got that out of the way :) and I can go back to other setups. You may really love it-alot of people including Fed do.

djoko4thewin
02-10-2009, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE]What racket / pattern are you using the Alu-P/X1? Why do you like it the most?

i'm using a KBT which is 18x20 string pattern. i like it the most because it gives me great power and control with the alu in the mains. the alu helps durability in the main, but i do lose some touch but it's good enough. the other way around; x1/alu might be better in playability but the durability would be shocking as the alu would saw the x1.

Also, what tension M/C?[QUOTE]

i used a tension of 57/55 which is quite good, you may want to put it up a bit because the power is fairly high in this setup.

djoko4thewin
02-10-2009, 05:54 AM
secondly PED i agree i will try it out and then i can get it out of my system, you never know i might like it(djokovic must as he uses it) i thought has u said it was a powerful setup i will try it at a tension of 58/56, which should give me enough control.

SlapShot
02-10-2009, 07:27 AM
After playing this am, I ended up cutting this setup out. I was just too inconsistent with it. Too much power and not enough control. Even if cost was no object, I would still rather use X1/Cf over VS/alu. I just really didn't care for it in the end. Back to full alu for now ;)

The thing I've found with regard to VS and any poly in the cross is that you need to string the VS higher than you'd think. Even when I strung it at 60 lbs in an 18x20, it still felt too springy. Gut does well at 62-63+ - it seems to get nice and firm but still has life at that tension.

It sounds like the gut feel isn't your thing, though, which is totally OK.

secondly PED i agree i will try it out and then i can get it out of my system, you never know i might like it(djokovic must as he uses it) i thought has u said it was a powerful setup i will try it at a tension of 58/56, which should give me enough control.

What strings and tension are you used to? IMO, you do need to string gut a bit higher to tame the power of it - I don't know that I could use gut below 60 lbs. That may just be me though.

PED
02-10-2009, 07:40 AM
It sounds like the gut feel isn't your thing, though, which is totally OK.

Slapshot, I think you're right, gut just isn't for me but I do realize that many love it and thrive with it. It came strung in a stick that I bought at 57/55 and maybe 60 or so would have worked but the problem would have been the alu crosses.

I like to drop a max of 3 pounds between mains and crosses and that would have put the alu up at 57 or so which is higher than I usually like in alu. I think my swing has become so "ingrained" with full poly that it's hard to adapt to something else.

djoko4thewin
02-10-2009, 09:27 AM
thanks for info guys. slapshot iv used full x1 at 55lbs, redcode/x1 at 56lbs and alu/x1 at 57/55lbs. all are quite good. so i'm use to 55-57 lbs i guess but i guess i should try gut/alu maybe like 60-58 which is nearer the 60 mark you suggested.

djoko4thewin
02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
right i used alu/x1 and it only lasted me 10hrs hitting, so just a bit more than a week's worth. i was expecting it to last longer :( even though it was a nice setup. oh well i'm going to be trying gut/alu in the next 4 days with 60/58 tension and see how i get on.