PDA

View Full Version : first attempt at stringing with Klippermate

blakesq
01-15-2009, 07:24 AM
So, my first time ever stringing was a failure. I had my klippermate on my coffee table, measured out 21' for the mains for my agassi radical racket, and ran out of string. I guess 22' is what I should have used, even though the klippermate guy gave me the stringing specs which had the mains listed at 21'!!!!

Being hunched over my coffee table trying to string for the first time, KILLED my back.

Anyhow my main problem is that while stringing, and using the clamps, it seems like when I attach the clamp, and then raise the tension bar, the strings are losing their tension a bit. Is this normal, is there something I am doing wrong?

SOY78
01-15-2009, 07:57 AM
I have a Klippermate too and my clamps ove about 1/8th to a 1/4th of an inch every time I clamp two strings together and release the tension (raise the tension bar). Also try to invest in a starting clamp, it saved me from having too short of a string at the end of mains or crosses for that matter. Last time I allmost was too short on the mains about 6inches (from the end of the string to the string gripper) well I used some old synthetic gut string and used the strating clamp as a bridge between the short string and the syn gut. Worked like a charm, hope that helped. Oh and if the klippermate string pattern calls for 20' I usually use 21' or more because there needs to be enough string to reach the string gripper and to tie the knots properly.

raiden031
01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Interesting. I have done several different racquets and have never required more than 20' for either the mains or crosses.

As for the clamp losing tension, you can tighten the little screws as well as the main clamp screw on the bottom if that is happening. What should happen when you lift the tension bar is that the clamp and strings as a whole might shift a little bit, but as long as the strings being pressed by the clamp aren't sliding under the clamp, then you are ok.

I have had some back pain as well. I put my stringer on one of those dinner trays and sit on the arm of my couch and it relieves it a little.

blakesq
01-15-2009, 08:24 AM
" should happen when you lift the tension bar is that the clamp and strings as a whole might shift a little bit, but as long as the strings being pressed by the clamp aren't sliding under the clamp, then you are ok."

I think that is what is happening, also the racket seems to shift a bit when I lift the tension bar.

Interesting. I have done several different racquets and have never required more than 20' for either the mains or crosses.

As for the clamp losing tension, you can tighten the little screws as well as the main clamp screw on the bottom if that is happening. What should happen when you lift the tension bar is that the clamp and strings as a whole might shift a little bit, but as long as the strings being pressed by the clamp aren't sliding under the clamp, then you are ok.

I have had some back pain as well. I put my stringer on one of those dinner trays and sit on the arm of my couch and it relieves it a little.