PDA

View Full Version : newbie, how do you measure 21' of string

blakesq
01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
First time stringer, Head Agassi Radical calls for 21' of string for the mains (turns out 21' is not enough when using a klippermate). so, I had no idea how to measure out 21 feet. There is a ruler on the klippermate base, do i just use that, and count out 21 or more feet by sliding the string through my hands, eyeballing 1 foot, and continuing till i get to 21 feet?

BGB.CA
01-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Your wingspan in usually approximately your height, so if you are say 5' (easier for the example :)) you would just take 4 wingspans and a bit and that should be enough for the mains. It's way quicker this way than using a ruler.

jim e
01-15-2009, 09:15 AM
First time stringer, Head Agassi Radical calls for 21' of string for the mains (turns out 21' is not enough when using a klippermate). so, I had no idea how to measure out 21 feet. There is a ruler on the klippermate base, do i just use that, and count out 21 or more feet by sliding the string through my hands, eyeballing 1 foot, and continuing till i get to 21 feet?

21' for the Agassi Radical is plenty for the mains, as I strung that racquet a # of times. You must be losing tension somewheres. Are your clamps slipping, or tensioning properly?
If you are just starting, it is best to start by measuring with a yard stick to begin with, and once you have done enough, and have a good feel for the stringing process, then, I do this:
Mount racquet on machine:
Measure out:
9 racquet lengths= 20.25' = most mains
8 racquet lenghts=18'= most crosses
You can readjust from there once you know certain racquets, but this give you a good ball park starting point and handles most racquets out there, and if you ever get a little short, a starting clamp comes in handy for extending the length to tension , so you can finish the job. A starting clamp is a cheap enough well worth while tool to have.
There should have been plenty of string for the mains on your racquet with 21' something must have happened, and I would guess , some clamp slippage, causing you to be short, and an inproper tensioned strings as well.

blakesq
01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Jim,

Where you using a klippermate to string? see this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=170745&highlight=agassi+radical

Mike

21' for the Agassi Radical is plenty for the mains, as I strung that racquet a # of times. You must be losing tension somewheres. Are your clamps slipping, or tensioning properly?
If you are just starting, it is best to start by measuring with a yard stick to begin with, and once you have done enough, and have a good feel for the stringing process, then, I do this:
Measure out:
You can readjust from there once you know certain racquets, but this give you a good ball park starting point and handles most racquets out there, and if you ever get a little short, a starting clamp comes in handy for extending the length to tension , so you can finish the job. A starting clamp is a cheap enough well worth while tool to have.
There should have been plenty of string for the mains on your racquet with 21' something must have happened, and I would guess , some clamp slippage, causing you to be short, and an inproper tensioned strings as well.

jim e
01-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Jim,

Where you using a klippermate to string? see this thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=170745&highlight=agassi+radical

Mike

No I was not. I have a high end electronic constant pull machine, and I am familiar with that racquet,as I have strung that radical a good # of times, and I know that I have used 21' with it for the mains, and have never come up short.Maybe you machine requires more to string with than some other machines.If you were just a little short, the starting clamp technique works great to give you a little more string to bridge a piece to reach the tensioner, to tension properly.
For that racquet 2 piece I use 21' for mains, and remainder of pack =19' for crosses, which is more than enough, and if using a reel I use 21' =mains, and 18'= crosses.

YULitle
01-15-2009, 04:22 PM
A ruler. Works every time.

GeorgeLucas
01-15-2009, 04:29 PM
A ruler. Works every time.

Yea, be safe and economical at the same time - use a ruler

Bud
01-16-2009, 03:08 AM

Your wingspan in usually approximately your height, so if you are say 5' (easier for the example :)) you would just take 4 wingspans and a bit and that should be enough for the mains. It's way quicker this way than using a ruler.

Measure out:

As another poster stated, 21' for the mains of the Radical LE should be sufficient. If it's a case of not reaching the tension head on the last mains... add another 6".

I measure string using my living room coffee table, which is exactly 4' long. It's simply 5 lengths.

origmarm
01-16-2009, 03:39 AM
I use a ruler. Is this a trick question?

l_gonzalez
01-16-2009, 08:12 AM
span of your arms is the way to go. i'm 6ft1in and i measure 3 lengths and a bit for mains, and 3 lengths for crosses.

W Cats
01-16-2009, 08:19 AM
I use a yardstick. 7 pulls across the yard stick equals 21 feet. Like my dad always use to say " measure twice and cut once" .

tennisfreak15347
01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
why do you use a yard stick and wingspans? there's a ruler printed right on the klippermate, just measure with that.

StevenLaurence
01-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I am 5'10" and from the middle of my chest to the tip of my finger is 3' x 7= 21'
It's fast and it works!