PDA

View Full Version : So many strings!

Corsair
01-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Hey everyone!

I am looking to restring my Prince O3 tour. It is currently strung with black prince syn gut 17 at 54 lbs. I want a string that can give me power. There are so many strings on the market, how can I narrow my selections down? Please give me your recommendations.

Thanks,
-Corsair

Zhou
01-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Umm... PSGD is extremely powerful.

Corsair
01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Is PSGD the name of the string, the type of material, or brand name?

Thanks,
-Corsair

Zhou
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
PSGD = Prince Synthetic Gut w/ Duraflex.

Well the string you are using right now is very powerful IMO from experience.

Corsair
01-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Oh ok I got it! Yes it is powerful, but I want to try some other strings. Are there any hybrid combos that will give me the power I want?

jim e
01-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh ok I got it! Yes it is powerful, but I want to try some other strings. Are there any hybrid combos that will give me the power I want?

That depends on your definition of the power that you want.
If you want to swing harder for more power, and not have the ball go flying out, then you can use a poly string for part of a hybrid, with a softer string to soften up the stringbed a little.
Or if you want the strings to give you more zip, with the same swing you have now, then try a multi. string,(like prince synth gut mulitfilament, for example), or a nat. gut, as both will give more power that way,, over a syn. gut string.Nat. gut will give you the most power, feel and comfort.

Corsair
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
How do the luxilon big banger strings play in terms of power?

Zhou
01-15-2009, 10:53 AM
You need racquet head speed to really take advantage of Luxilon strings.

jim e
01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
How do the luxilon big banger strings play in terms of power?

That is a deader feel string, which a lot of players like, as it allows you to swing harder without the ball going way out on you. But the power is not the strings, but yourself swinging harder if you follow what I am saying. It also allows you to generate more spin as you are swinging harder, to do this. If that is what you are wanting, then give it a try, as it is a favorite for a # of players. If you string for yourself, then experiment, or if you have a stringer, then explain what you want, and the stringer should come up with a string combination to start with. I would not make too drastic of a change in beginning, like going to an all poly like the lux.
If you want to try the Lux. I would hybrid it with a multi. or a nat. gut string to soften it up somewhat.As going from a synth. gut to an all poly would be a very big change.

fin-tennis(h)
01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Someone would say, why fix something that ain't broken?

If you want power and your current setup works fine polyester strings (like Luxilons) are no way to go. Multifilaments, syn. guts and natural guts are more powerful and comfortable.

Valjean
01-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Your logical next step up--and you stay within the brand, too--is Prince's Synthetic Gut Multifilament, which gives you a feel of both constructions, SG and multifilament.

Here is a nice review, too: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/01/prince_synthetic_gut_multifila.html

sruckauf
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey everyone!

I am looking to restring my Prince O3 tour. It is currently strung with black prince syn gut 17 at 54 lbs. I want a string that can give me power. There are so many strings on the market, how can I narrow my selections down? Please give me your recommendations.

Thanks,
-Corsair

What is your budget? That would help narrow it down.

jim e
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
If you want power and your current setup works fine polyester strings (like Luxilons) are no way to go. Multifilaments, syn. guts and natural guts are more powerful and comfortable.

You are exactly correct!, but the poster was inquiring about the lux. and some people just want to try them to see what all the hype is, that is why I recommended a hybrid if the poster must go this route, and not do a full set up of it, as coming from a syn. gut. In my opinion, nothing compares to all nat. gut as far as power, comfort and feel. But everyone has preferences.

Corsair
01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks so much! I have a very flexible budget. I have set the limit at 15 dollars. Looks like luxilon isn't for me. I will take all your advice and use it. Thanks again!

Racer41c
01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
For the OP:

I have the Ozone version of the Prince Tour and agree 100% that a more powerful string would be beneficial. I would add that a good bit of crispness would also be welcome.

My racquet has PSGD in it right now, I would say that's not the answer. If you want a small step up, then a multi such as PSGM would step up the power, but not add a lot to crispness.

I did a lot of research last night on this subject, I'm going to try Weiss Cannon Silver String mains with a multi cross. Hoping for a step up in power, crispness and spin.

MSL
01-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I've got the Prince black, so it might be apples to oranges, but the Luxilon ALU touch hybrid is the best setup I've found.

-Matt

NickC
01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
OP:

Depends on two things, the first question being more important:

1. What is your level of play, and how do you play (what style of play do you employ?)?
2. What are you looking for in a string?

MarrratSafin
01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey everyone!

Thanks,
-Corsair

If you want to try a poly string with power, go Topspin Cyber Blue. Otherwise multis and natural gut are strings that give you more power. Try Weisscannon Explosiv, real good multi string.

Corsair
01-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Hey racer, let me know how that goes. I am 13, and I like to stay at the baseline, but can play at the net as well. I am looking for power, and durability. Spin is not much of a need for me. I think a hybrid would be good, but not sure how to set it up.

NickC
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey racer, let me know how that goes. I am 13, and I like to stay at the baseline, but can play at the net as well. I am looking for power, and durability. Spin is not much of a need for me. I think a hybrid would be good, but not sure how to set it up.

You're too young to use poly. Stick with a synthetic or string looser. Or go to gut or a high-end multi. You're too young (you probably don't have fully developed strokes, and if you have a hitch in your swing, it'll result in tennis elbow, which at your age is bad) and that kind of thing. Wait a few years.

Corsair
01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh ok. Thanks a lot, I really dont want to mess up my elbow now. This is all great advice guys! Thanks so much!

StevenLaurence
01-16-2009, 06:05 PM
German Guice same as M2, Power and Spin. No Spin No In, No In No Win, No Win No Money, No Money No Honey!

the wise wizard
01-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Hey everyone!

Thanks,
-Corsair

i would suggest technifibre x-one biphase for power or natural gut.

tlm
01-17-2009, 08:37 AM
In the last 4 years i have tried many many strings. In natural gut i thought pacific toughgut was the best.Then i went through the poly craze, my conclusion with poly is it only plays good for a few hours+then it sucks. It is also way to hard on the body.

Synthetic guts are okay, but there is nothing very special about them.Some will play pretty good for a few hours.As far as multis go there are quite a few that are pretty good.The nxt strings are pretty good,i liked the nxt tour the best out of the wilson strings.

The gamma tnt2 proplus is a good string, many like the tecnifibre strings.I never thought they were very good, to dead+ not enough spin for me.There are many pretty good multis out there but they are expensive + they also dont play good for very long or they dont last very long.

I am now using laserfire supernatural prostock, which is a premium multi. To me this string is unmatched, it has everything, comfort, control, power,spin+great feel.To me it is the best string hands down.The downside is it is expensive,+ depending on how hard you hit the ball+how much topspin you use it may not last that long.

The 16 gauge will last me about 15 hours, the 17 gauge which is what i have been using only lasts me about 8 hours. But that is with it strung@67 lbs.+ using excessive topspin.But for that 8 hours it is the best performing string i have found.If you use a tighter pattern+hit flatter it will last much longer.

Also the high tension affects the longevity of the string.But to me that is one of the mistakes people make using multis, they string them to low.You must string them at high tension to get good control, but still have good power.

I have spent a lot of money trying almost every string out there+laserfibre is the best string you can buy.

hoodjem
01-17-2009, 09:45 AM
What happened to TW's supply of Lasefibre strings?

Corsair
01-17-2009, 01:02 PM
What happened to TW's supply of Lasefibre strings?

Yeah I couldn't find it either!

tlm
01-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I dont know a couple of weeks ago they had them listed+ said they would be in by the middle of this month, but then they quit listing them. So i guess their order did not come through.

I have been buying them through the laserfibre store.

Il Mostro
01-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Tim, can you offer a comparison of Pro Stock and Phenom? I have both waiting for a test drive.

tlm
01-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Sorry i have only used the prostock, i heard the phenom is softer.Since i think the prostock is soft enough never gave the phenom a try.

goldenyama
01-18-2009, 03:39 AM
Kirschbaum Touch Mulitfibre

Corsair
01-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Kirschbaum Hybrix power 17? Anybody tried that one?

Il Mostro
01-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Sorry i have only used the prostock, i heard the phenom is softer.Since i think the prostock is soft enough never gave the phenom a try.

Thanks anyway -- appreciate all your input on the PS.

Corsair
01-18-2009, 10:21 AM
I think I may go with an isospeed hybrid....so many choices out there!