PDA

View Full Version : Is Andy Roddick stiff?

adlis
01-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Looking at Roddick, powerful serve aside, I have a feeling he is stiff. In the sense that he is not flexible enough with his body parts. I heard that when he was young he done a lot of weight training which stunted his growth. May be that is why? Perhaps he should do some yoga.

MajinX
01-15-2009, 10:41 AM
lol what is stiff was his old backhand form, but now that is slowly changing, and probably he is only stiff compared to other tennis players, hes most likely more flexible than 90 percent of this board.

danb
01-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Body movement wise he might be - in any other respect he is a relaxed and fine guy.
I hear you - he gives me the same impression.

jrod
01-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Everytime I see him hit an approach shot he looks stiff. His hands at net appear to be some of the stiffest on tour (at his level).

Jonny S&V
01-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Looking at Roddick, powerful serve aside, I have a feeling he is stiff. In the sense that he is not flexible enough with his body parts. I heard that when he was young he done a lot of weight training which stunted his growth. May be that is why? Perhaps he should do some yoga.

His strokes are very muscled, so you get the impression that he's stiff. That aside, I'd agree with MajinX in that he's still more flexible than 80% of this board.

edmondsm
01-15-2009, 10:48 AM
I would say that he has to be relaxed and flexible to hit the serve and forehand the way he does. He movement isn't as fluid as say Nadal or Federer but looks can be decieving. To my eyes Agassi was one of the stiffest looking players ever.

MarrratSafin
01-15-2009, 01:05 PM
I would say that he has to be relaxed and flexible to hit the serve and forehand the way he does. He movement isn't as fluid as say Nadal or Federer but looks can be decieving. To my eyes Agassi was one of the stiffest looking players ever.

Yeah Agassi looks stiff for sure. Look at the way he walks:) Roddick is not really stiff IMO, just that his movements are not so fluid.

norbac
01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Lol, great thread name. But I know what you mean, he does look like he muscles through the ball a lot mostly on the backhand side.

fantom
01-15-2009, 01:32 PM
It's safe to say that he's still at least part of the time. C'mon...look @ his gf.

GeorgeLucas
01-15-2009, 01:46 PM
It's safe to say that he's still at least part of the time. C'mon...look @ his gf.

I've been beat, haha. Yeah, I get the impression often that Roddick looks stiff on the court - especially his forehand.

tangerine
01-15-2009, 02:31 PM
I heard that when he was young he done a lot of weight training which stunted his growth.
lol, people will believe anything they hear nowadays.

Rusedskifan
01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I think Roddick has an appearance of a stiff game. His serve however, his arm is very loose to generate that much racket head speed. I think Roddick must underrated quality is his net game. I think he volleys well. He is no Edberg, but who is? Andy is a great player that takes alot of crap on this board. If he was in the Sampras era, Pistol Pete would not have won as many majors.

MarrratSafin
01-15-2009, 03:16 PM
I think Roddick has an appearance of a stiff game. His serve however, his arm is very loose to generate that much racket head speed. I think Roddick must underrated quality is his net game. I think he volleys well. He is no Edberg, but who is? Andy is a great player that takes alot of crap on this board. If he was in the Sampras era, Pistol Pete would not have won as many majors.

I agree, his net game is quite good and so many ppl just say it's crap because he gets passed a lot. It's just his movement and sometimes the approach shot that lets him down a bit.

adlis
02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
his bh is very stiff. Having a huge serve and fh is good but with no bh modern grinders like simon will crush arod

vmosrafa08
02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Yup.......

federerdomination
02-24-2009, 05:58 PM

ROFL..... (10 char)

Nadal_Freak
02-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Ah got me to. I wanted to nail that joke. Roddick gets some credit back for his hot girlfriend but he is still a jerk.

skip1969
02-24-2009, 07:02 PM
hey andy, is that a powerbar in your pocket . . . or are you just happy to see me?

"is andy roddick stiff." i love it. classic.

VivalaVida
02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
lol, people will believe anything they hear nowadays.
:lol: its the kinda stuff my grandparents used to believe. did you know coffee stunts your growth? :lol:

Fee
02-24-2009, 07:34 PM
The man is 6 foot 3 inches tall and he suffers from stunted growth? Oooookkkaaaaayyyy.

Cfidave
02-25-2009, 03:02 AM
According to the ATP he is 6' 2" tall. I think Roddick appears stiff at times because he is not a so called natural, mover, about the court. He almost looks on the verge of falling over or tripping. This is especially apparent when he plays a Federer, Murray, or even a guy like Stepenik. All whom seem to glide around.

Tempest344
02-25-2009, 03:39 AM
He just isn't a graceful mover that's all....

THUNDERVOLLEY
02-25-2009, 05:32 AM

Of course he's stiff, as he's been throughout his career--part of the reason his attempts at S&V are laughable. Its like he's got a column of cement forcing his back to stay in one position, with lead weights in his shoes. Moreover, he' just not a physically graceful player at all.

THUNDERVOLLEY
02-25-2009, 05:39 AM
I think Roddick must underrated quality is his net game. I think he volleys well. He is no Edberg, but who is? Andy is a great player that takes alot of crap on this board. If he was in the Sampras era, Pistol Pete would not have won as many majors.

Fantasy.

His volleys are wholly inferior. Aside from Edberg, compare him to McEnroe, Sampras, Becker, Ivanisevic or even Federer--the latter--when he chooses to volley--makes Roddick appear to be incredibly clumsy.