PDA

View Full Version : In the Event of a Water Landing......

Fearsome Forehand
01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow! Hats off to the US Air pilot for the incredible water landing he pulled off today in the Hudson River. It is amazing no one was seriously injured. A commercial jet crash in that area would usually be a huge disaster because of the population density in NYC.

Whoever he is, a true hero and one helluva pilot!

Apparent Cause: Engine failure due to collision with a flock of freakin' geese!

Geese on the scene were quoted as saying "Freakin humans!" ;o)

Voltron
01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Do you have a link?

Fearsome Forehand
01-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Do you have a link?

Here you go:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/plane_in_river

Voltron
01-15-2009, 01:22 PM
^^^

Thank you.

FuriousYellow
01-15-2009, 01:23 PM
A co-worker of mine was just ranting the other week before a flight how pointless the pre-flight instructions on what to do in the event of a water landing were. His reason was that no one ever survives them.

Offhand, I can't think of too many successful water landings by commercial jets.

Morrissey
01-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Well I just got back home right now from work. My wife and I both work in NYC on Park Avenue, E 49th and when we got out we went straight to the Hudson to check out the scene. There were police boats and coast guards everywhere. There was even a tourist boat (Circle Line) around the premises. Quite a scene people. I'm sure you're all seeing it on TV right now but it's weird to see it firsthand. Everybody was walking in that direction and since it was around 38th-40st street we weren't that far being on 50th street. As I see it on TV right now myself it's STILL above water. I heard some birds hit both engines and the pilot unloaded the luggage compartment to put more air in the plane and unload some weight. Damn good pilot, they say he was calm and under control the whole time. They're all calling it the Miracle on the Hudson. Nobody died. It sure is.

dave333
01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Someone get that pilot a beer! Amazing landing.

Fearsome Forehand
01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Actually, he was drinking a beer whilst landing the plane. He is just that cool! ;o)

Sully Sullenberger is the man!

CanadianChic
01-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Absolutely amazing that no one was seriously hurt. That pilot deserves an award for his outstanding skill and clear-headedness. What doesn't sit right with me in the notion of not one, but two birds, each hitting the seperate engines simultaneously. Perhaps I am jaded but I expect the airlines to come up with a reason which would negate them of liability. Either way, I watched while I could through the day and am happy for everyone involved and their families.

gastro54
01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Pro piloting... Incredible that he got it in the river with both engines out.

super_forehand
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM
ex USAF pilot, those guys get some pretty good training

Noveson
01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
That pilot deserves a http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/werner_gizzle/ballin.jpg

Mike Bulgakov
01-15-2009, 09:04 PM
The pilot did a great job, and NYC responded so fast with boats coming to help the passengers. Everyone seemed to come through today. I am really impressed by how everyone did the right thing.

Phil
01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
The pilot is US military trained. The USA's military pilots are the finest in the world. Believe me, US military pilots saved my a** on more than a couple occasions.

kairosntx
01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Not only is he an awesome US military trained pilot, he is a great man... He stayed on the plane until everyone was off, then he made a slow deliberate search of the entire plane for anyone left behind.

Phil
01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Not only is he an awesome US military trained pilot, he is a great man... He stayed on the plane until everyone was off, then he made a slow deliberate search of the entire plane for anyone left behind.
Hats off to him, but...this is what he has been TRAINED to do. He is the aircraft commander and he knows emergency safety procedures like the back of his hand. Many people will call him a "hero". He might say in response, that he just did what he had to do and anyone else in his position and with his training would have done the same (of which I'm fairly sure of).

Fee
01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Epic, epic NOT FAIL.

Hopefully, most of the people on that plane were as calm as the pilot. So glad that everyone got out safely, but wow they must have been freezing.

JohnnyCracker
01-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Damn terrorist birds.

greenfan
01-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Excellenta pilot, saved the life of 160 people.
Hats off to him !!!!!!!

kairosntx
01-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Damn terrorist birds.

LOL!

Where did they get their training?
How did they get into the country?
Why weren't they deported when their visas expired?
Why didn't the TSA pick up on this before it happened?

l_gonzalez
01-16-2009, 06:48 AM
I wonder how it looked when i landded... you know like when you see ducks landing on a pond, they just kinda skate on the water as they touch down!

Hats off to the pilot, i know he's trained to do that and all, but we all know that practice is one thing, executing it when you have to is a completely different matter.

rommil
01-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Damn terrorist birds.

All the birds are crying "fowl". Now they are afraid Dubya gonna come after them and bomb their tail feathers off.

kairosntx
01-16-2009, 07:16 AM
How do you waterboard geese?

Dedans Penthouse
01-16-2009, 07:22 AM
....yes, kudos--MAJOR KUDOS--to the pilot for getting it down on-time at Henry Hudson International and being able to "dip-the-tail" first so as to avoid ripping off the wings or the under belly which would've caused huge, gaping holes in the aircraft = jet would've sunk quickly. I also think some "sharing the wealth" is in order as well: the flight crew (who obviously assisted getting the people out of the plane) and especially the rescuers from New York Water Taxi, Circle Line, Coast Guard and NYPD water patrol, esp. that nut NYPD diver who--not yet fully suited--went into the frigid Hudson out of a police helicopter in order to grab the lady hanging off the side of one of the ferries. Great piloting job and great job by the 'boat' rescuers who threw off the dock ropes and immediately raced full-speed-ahead to the accident scene.

(seeing the just-posted above posts):
wow, a potential tragedy turned happy ending....."attention passengers, we're now serving in our "1st Class" cabin, an array of irrelevant, snide political swipes for your snickering pleasure...." er, ms. olbermann, is this maybe not the time and place when ya think about it....would it be better served in the "snide and civil" Rants 'n Raves section.....maybe in another thread perhaps?.....thx

flash9
01-16-2009, 07:41 AM
LOL!

Where did they get their training?
How did they get into the country?
Why weren't they deported when their visas expired?
Why didn't the TSA pick up on this before it happened?

I heard they were Canada Geese!

Terrific job done by this pilot and co-pilot!

l_gonzalez
01-16-2009, 08:47 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7833317.stm

Fearsome Forehand
01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
It was reported that, during its descent, the plane passed within 900 feet of the GW Bridge! 900 feet is next to nothing in terms of a large commercial aircraft; in this case an A320. NYC dodged a bullet this time. The passengers are supremely lucky. Viva Capt. Sullenberger!

Sort of amazing that a flock of geese can take down a modern aircraft but bird strikes are commonplace. When a plane is traveling at several hundred miles an hour and collides with a 20 pound bird, it results in several tons of force being applied to the jet engine's fan blades. The fans simply can't withstand that much force. The best we can do is try to minimize the amount of birds near an airport via noise and fake owls, etc. To engineer a truly goose proof engine would be cost prohibitive, apparently.

TheMusicLover
01-16-2009, 10:10 AM
A truely heartwarming ending to a potential crash that had some 99% chance of ending up in a major drama.
As far as I know, there has NEVER ever before been a waterlanding carried out successfully - i.e., ALL surviving!!!

This takes fantastic skills by the pilots. From what I've read, it's very difficult for a lame plane to approach the water surface at the right angle, so usually, it ends up with the plane breaking into pieces and exploding...
Apparently they have managed to put that A320 down under exactly the right angle!

Also kudos to the rest of the crew AND the passengers, for acting the way they should and get out of there asap. From what I heard from CNN, there was barely any panic... WOW!

PS the A320 is a European plane. Good stuff, eh? In the future I'd like to fly only European planes - with US pilots! :)

FuriousYellow
01-16-2009, 10:38 AM
How do you waterboard geese?

You turn them into pate de foie gras.

mozzer
01-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Its people like this that should earn 500,000 not puffter soccer players like Kaka.

Kaptain Karl
01-16-2009, 01:56 PM
It seems Capt. Sullenberger actually *teaches* these advance emergency safety procedures. Great job by all: the cockpit crew, the flight attendants and the passengers. Stories are they all kept their cool and deplaned in a very orderly fashion.

One woman with two broken legs is the worst reported injury.

Wow!

- KK

Fee
01-16-2009, 07:18 PM
(seeing the just-posted above posts):
wow, a potential tragedy turned happy ending....."attention passengers, we're now serving in our "1st Class" cabin, an array of irrelevant, snide political swipes for your snickering pleasure...." er, ms. olbermann, is this maybe not the time and place when ya think about it....would it be better served in the "snide and civil" Rants 'n Raves section.....maybe in another thread perhaps?.....thx

I disagree. Most of those posts were made WELL after we all knew that 155 passengers and crew were safe, were talking to the media, and some had even been put on seconds flights and were back home in North Carolina. All of the rescuers had been lauded and everyone given their due for this remarkable event. A little humor on the subject isn't out of line.

william7gr
01-16-2009, 08:01 PM
That Pilot deserves some respect. I heard he was in the air force for a couple of years and has been with US Airways for a while. I wonder how many pilots could have pulled this off. On the news I saw a video taken by a security camera that caught a second of the action and that plane was flying low and FAST.

dennis10is
01-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I would rate the pilot a 3.5-4.0.

From the black box cockpit video that I saw, his was dropping his wrist, leaning backwards, and his head was moving around not keep it still. His follow thru was poor.

He was spraying a lot and his aim was poor. The plane landed too far away from the pier.