PDA

View Full Version : Wanna Buy a Used Car?

Fearsome Forehand
01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Proving once again that PT Barnum was, indeed, a visionary....

Check out flea bay item 330299932725

Book value on the car about $15,000. Bid at this writing $316,000

The seller claims the 2005 Chrysler 300 originally belonged to one, B. Obama. The only offer of proof relative to the vehicle's prior ownership seems to be that the Finance Manager of a Chicago area dealership will swear it to be so. No documentation provided to prove the vehicle's prior owner history/provenance. For all we know, said Finance Manager is the seller's brother in law.

I'm selling Federer's racket, and the pro at XYZ Tennis Shop will swear it was Roger's racket. Give me $50K and we'll call it even. ;o)

Make sure to get your bids in on the Messiah-Gangsta-Mobile before it is too late. ;o)

Fearsome Forehand
01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
In the last hour, the bid went from about $175,000 to $99,999,999 as of 8pm EST.

Somehow, I don't think the seller is going to get paid. ;o)

UPDATE: Seller canceled all bids around 9pm EST. Opening bid is now a mere $100K with buy it now for a cool mil.

Lejanius
01-15-2009, 09:19 PM
When **** gets all kinds of crazy action on an auction they usually re-start it and make the potential bidders verify that they can actually pay for it. I wouldn't be shocked if this never sold, usually people do dumb things like run up the prices never intending to pay.

**** then verifies if people are the real deal on their own and on usually re-starts the auction at some point.

no way this really sells

Fearsome Forehand
01-18-2009, 10:06 AM
The original auction was canceled after the bid reached $99.9 million and the car has been relisted under different terms. The seller finally grew a brain and now bidders must be pre-approved.

330301140685 is the item number. The bid at this writing is around $110K for a car with a KBB of about $15k.

After much complaining from prospective bidders, the seller finally agreed to post a copy of the proof of ownership by BO/old title. However, the seller redacted most all of the pertinent info, supposedly to "respect the privacy of the president-elect." The seller also references an AP article as proof of ownership but provides no link to the article. In a cursory internet search, I was unable to locate any article that definitively verifies BO's ownership of the vehicle.

Perhaps this auction is all on the up and up, but I think the vehicle's provenance is, at least, somewhat questionable. I guess the proof is going to be a xerox copy of a title, not the original title. Pretty easy to doctor a copy. Why wouldn't someone at the Chicago-area dealership have bought the car for a mere $15K if it was common knowledge that it had previously belonged to the then US Senator and presidential candidate BO? The unnecessarily redacted title smells more than a bit fishy to me.

Given the redacted document, this is starting to remind me of the scandal surrounding BO's birth certificate. ;o)

Fearsome Forehand
01-21-2009, 10:00 AM
UPDATE: The car "sold" on flea bay last night for $271,300. Book value is about $15,000.

Doubtful the buyer will ever recover the present value of $256K. Barnum is proven correct once more. ;o)